The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Strictly speaking, there may be no such thing as "acting black". But it's a lot easier to say "acting black" than "acting in a manner commonly associated with the working class afro-carribean demographic".

You understand what they mean. How else would you like them to say it?
People should be able to act the way they want, how they want and dress the way they want to. I'm intelligent, well-spoken and dress properly to the situation. Is that acting white too? lol, I have to admit most of the problems black people have are internal. How is going to pubs a "white thing to do"? What should we do instead, mug people?

Some people just don't like confirming to stereotypes and I agree with them. However Jack Wills? lol, I think their clothing is disgusting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes there is....

It's a fact, white people and black people act differently, nothing to do with skin colour, just like asians and americans, we all as races act differently. So if you're tryna act black a niqqa gon tell yu about yourself !
Original post by imperial>oxbridge
there is no such thing as acting black, white, pink, chinese, brown tan, or any other skin colour for that matter.

If i said, 'don't act chinese' - it would be not correct to mean eating sushi, revising 10 hours a day, and only wanting to learn maths and martial arts right?

omg i'm chinese and that's exactly what i do!!!!

=d!
Reply 64
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
People should be able to act the way they want, how they want and dress the way they want to. I'm intelligent, well-spoken and dress properly to the situation. Is that acting white too? lol, I have to admit most of the problems black people have are internal. How is going to pubs a "white thing to do"? What should we do instead, mug people?

Some people just don't like confirming to stereotypes and I agree with them. However Jack Wills? lol, I think their clothing is disgusting.

Arent you the guy who cried on tsr when a white chick rejected him

:pierre:

Yeah, as you can see I am having trouble respecting your opinion right now
Reply 65
Thank you!

I hate it when people use a stereotype in everyday life and think it's perfectly okay. It's like when people see camp men and say they're "acting gay". I don't see how being a bit camp makes you a complete homosexual? :lolwut: I was sort of the receiving end of this last week... I went out to the West End with my friend (girl) and we saw her mum, and apparently she asked my friend if me and her were going out as I apparently "look like a lesbian"? Not offensive in the slightest, but quite odd?
Original post by rajandkwameali
acting black is simply cultural. there is no behaviour inherent to black people.

I think black people who say this are losers who still are pissed off at slavery. For this reason, they see things through race-tinted glasses, and see oppression when it doesn't exist.

Whats wrong with being pissed off with slavery? Just because something happened a long time ago doesnt mean it should be forgotten or ignored. Should we forget both world wars as well? People should accept that people and society changes, but you shouldnt ignore whats happened in the past.
Original post by Bishamon
Yeah you know what?

It because you do act white, who do catch other than coconuts wearing jack willis?

This isnt about being middle class and part of your argument is correct however at the same time I think black people can distinguish between someone who carries a level of decorum and someone who is a bounty. For instance I am highly articulate, if we spoke on the phone you would assume I was a white male like 95% of the other people I know. However I wouldnt be caught dead wearing jack willis, visiting topman or associating myself with rah phaggots.

You call anybody else a faggot and you've got a picture of Bieber in your sig?

Lol.
Original post by Lewroll
Whats wrong with being pissed off with slavery? Just because something happened a long time ago doesnt mean it should be forgotten or ignored. Should we forget both world wars as well? People should accept that people and society changes, but you shouldnt ignore whats happened in the past.

Because slavery is gone and in the past. Feeling angry about it now makes no sense, and only hurts black people.
Because slavery is gone and in the past. Feeling angry about it now makes no sense, and only hurts black people.

World war 2 is in the past? Do people not have the right to feel angry that it happened?
It doesnt make sense to be obsessed with it. I can accept that. Someone who goes on about it all the time and lets it affect their life probably has a serious problem and needs to get help.
However there is nothing wrong with someone feeling sadness, anger or regret when thinking of events in the past. Slavery (and other events) may be gone, but the effects of these events are still shown today.
Its like saying, 'oh you shouldnt be angry that 1000s of jews were killed in world war 2, its gone and in the past'
Reply 70
You kind of messed the thread up with the last paragraph, I smell arrogance. However, you have a good point.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Not you as well...
Fair enough, the Jack Wills thing is like he's trying to be a rah or whatever, but I stil think it's pretty stupid to call him a coconut.

Touché. :hat:

what the hell is a coconut?
Reply 72
There's no such thing as acting like a eminent philosopher on current issues and failing. Oh wait....

Look, it's commonly known and accepted that words such as 'blud' and the like originated in countries with predominantly black populations and so the usage of these words is 'acting black', simple as. The question is, is this a bad thing? I mean, i believe it's negative in the sense that if you are a posh dude with a bankable heritage, you are just being a plain idiot if you use words like that.

But, i think that if someone from a more deprived upbringing, who happens to be white, wants to say words like 'blud' and 'wag1', they should be allowed to. Conversely, black people should be able to say words such as 'kid' and 'mate' without being questioned.
Who is angry that it happened?

Im pretty sure the family members of jewish people and soldiers that were killed in that time are angry. The germans are angry about ww2, they actively try to forget it and often punish people who try and bring it up (but according to you, they shouldnt do this, because its in the past.)

So someone who is angry about slavery is a loser? I would say someone who tries to completely forget an event, and pretend it didnt happen is a loser.
Original post by Lewroll
Im pretty sure the family members of jewish people and soldiers that were killed in that time are angry. The germans are angry about ww2, they actively try to forget it and often punish people who try and bring it up (but according to you, they shouldnt do this, because its in the past.)

So someone who is angry about slavery is a loser? I would say someone who tries to completely forget an event, and pretend it didnt happen is a loser.

Nobody is angry over the second world war, since it doesn't affect the world as much again. It's a poor analogy.

Black people should be seeking to improve themselves, not harp on about how their ancestors were brutalised.
You can act like a stereotype of white, black, asian people or whatever but acting black or white... what is that exactly? Too broad to even give an answer

Oh and anyone calling the dude a coconut, oreo or whatever is a moron and just a hater, just ignore the ignorant OP
Reply 76
Act however you want, don't let your skin colour define you.
Original post by Reformed2010
If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ass hole and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.

If you have a look at the poll, the majority disgree with you. I.e 66% do think there is such a thing as acting black.

So chill dawg.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bishamon
Arent you the guy who cried on tsr when a white chick rejected him

:pierre:

Yeah, as you can see I am having trouble respecting your opinion right now

hmm nope, I was complaining at what my friends were saying.

Well obviously, got to act tough and all that right?
Original post by Reformed2010
If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ass hole and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.

They can indeed.

However, there is a stereotypical view of young black people in the UK. Rap music, insanely baggy jeans that hang below your arse, Nike trainers, speaking in a 'black' vernacular, etc etc. I'm sure you know what I mean. That's how a lot of people see black teenagers. That's how we have wiggers. White boys who act black.

Acting black is just seen as participating in black youth culture, which you don't do. Perhaps most young black men do, however, perpetuating the stereotype. All stereotypes have some basis in truth, like you do get young black men who listen to rap, have 'gangs' :rolleyes: and speak in a black vernacular.

You don't conform to the stereotypical way of acting black. And well done you, because those people who do act like that are more often than not, f*****g retarded.

Latest

Trending

Trending