The Student Room Group

Why I'm boycotting Chinese made goods

Why I'm boycotting Chinese made goods

North Korea Video

Please watch the video before commenting

Over the last two decades the Chinese state has enriched itself immensely through economic development funded by western consumers. It has used these resources to prop up despicable regimes; not only for economic reasons but also for purely political ends.

In particular the continued existence of the North Korean state is reliant upon (and the threat of) Chinese diplomatic and military support. I find indirectly funding a society like North Korea abhorrent and pressure must be brought upon China to abandon its support of a state - that could only be described as the collective enemy of mankind.

This is why I now refuse to buy goods made from Chinese factories. There are plenty of alternatives out there that do not involve China and helping to prop up the North Korean regime. I know our governments are not perfect, however I use tools to hold it to account. This boycott is also a weapon to be used to hold the Chinese State to account. I have no issue with the normal Chinese worker; as I'm sure they would find the actual conditions in North Korea disgusting - but there is a serious issue with the Chinese state. If anyone else wants to join as part of a wider boycott I'll add you the list :smile:

TSR users boycotting China:
RyanT
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Better boycott the US Russia Israel most EU countries because all of them do the same.
Reply 2
lol

i can't find a better word than that

and i just CAN laugh at you because for every 100 pound you pay to buy Chinese goods, 15 goes to the seller, 5 to 30 goes to your government, 5 to 15 goes to Chinese government(of these maybe 1% or less goes to NK?), the rest goes to the producer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
Better boycott the US Russia Israel most EU countries because all of them do the same.

They don't prop up North Korea. Try watching the video.
Reply 4
Original post by felix06
lol

i can't find a better word than that

Watch the video on the link and see how funny you find it all then?
Reply 5
Original post by RyanT
They don't prop up North Korea. Try watching the video.

Look at what Israel does in Palestine. Look at the regimes the US supports. Look at how Russia murders anyone who criticise's the regime of Putin.

You cannot just boycott one regime for doing something many other's do unless your going to boycott them all.
Reply 6
Good luck with that.
:cry2:
Reply 8
Fair play to you, but like all personal protests and boycotts, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever, so what is the point?
Reply 9
u go ARD
Every rich nation has done this. The United States in particular in the cold war through means of trading, distributing and delivering arms, whilst propping up dictators against 'soviet threats'. This is nothing new, its just how the world works.
Reply 11
Original post by Aj12
Look at what Israel does in Palestine. Look at the regimes the US supports. Look at how Russia murders anyone who criticise's the regime of Putin.

You cannot just boycott one regime for doing something many other's do unless your going to boycott them all.

As I already said - I already do use the modest tools at my disposal against my government. This is a further extension of that. Ultimately goods have to come from somewhere so a compromise must be made. My compromise is that ASEAN states produce essentially the same goods as China - and barring Burma I'm willing to buy from these countries.

I'm sure your "slippery slope" argument makes a lot of sense in your head - however I'm able to distinguish between North Korea and other countries. Perhaps you lack the basic empathy needed to achieve this, but I've decided that countries propping up North Korea's state will not receive my business. It's a fairly simple principle.
Reply 12
Original post by Shaun1991
Fair play to you, but like all personal protests and boycotts, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever, so what is the point?

Because it will make a difference and that difference will be bigger if more people choose to join in.
Reply 13
Original post by RyanT
Watch the video on the link and see how funny you find it all then?

excuse me but plz read my post again as i edited it and u know what? if there are no such sanctions that stops likely EVERY ship goes into NK, the food shortage will NEVER happen, and countries including China, US and UK are using food as a counter to bargain with NK government.
So you're boycotting like all material possesions everything you own? dude everything's made in China, well it used to be anyway
Reply 15
Original post by felix06
excuse me but plz read my post again as i edited it and u know what? if there are no such sanctions that stops likely EVERY ship goes into NK, the food shortage will NEVER happen, and countries including China, US and UK are using food as a counter to bargain with NK government.

Imagine every factory in China receives 0 orders this month. The same again next month. The same again the next month after that. Just imagine the huge effects it will have - now consider that the motive behind it is solidarity with the North Korean people.

It will force changes.

The North Korean government is being propped up by China and that prop must be removed. According to your logic the terrible crimes of the North Korean state should be allowed to continue in perpetuity with countries like the UK being complicit through shipments of goods. It is best for the people of North Korea that the present state is removed - and this is achieved by hurting its main sponsor.
Reply 16
How will you ever find anything to buy? Everything is made in China... :erm:
Reply 17
Original post by lukejoshjedi
So you're boycotting like all material possesions everything you own? dude everything's made in China, well it used to be anyway

Very little of actual value is produced in China. Everything that can be produced in China is also produced elsewhere. It's just making the effort to look for it. I wish to end the transfer of my wealth to China whilst it supports North Korea's government. I don't think I could live with myself knowing that I was supporting a world like in the video linked.
Original post by Aj12

So your logic is that because other states commit abuses, I am not going to stop another from doing the same.
Yeah...good luck with that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending