The Student Room Group

Why I'm boycotting Chinese made goods

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DorianGrayism
So your logic is that because other states commit abuses, I am not going to stop another from doing the same.

No my logic is if your gong to boycott a state why pick on one when others do the same.

How can you buy US goods when they support a regime like Saudi Arabia if your going to boycott China for supporting another evil regime
Original post by felix06
excuse me but plz read my post again as i edited it and u know what? if there are no such sanctions that stops likely EVERY ship goes into NK, the food shortage will NEVER happen, and countries including China, US and UK are using food as a counter to bargain with NK government.

The main reason why there is a food shortage is because there is a famine that has occurred in the country since 1990. It has nothing to do with the blockade.

North Korea refuses to have any help. It has regularly refused food aid from the US. Furthermore, much of the food on sale is too expensive for ordinary people.

The Elite of the country do not care about the people.

It is as simple as that.
Cool story bro.

Let's be honest, the only people you're going to affect are yourself, local shops, and the Chinese workers. Most likely not even the Chinese workers.
Reply 23
Original post by Aj12
No my logic is if your gong to boycott a state why pick on one when others do the same.

How can you buy US goods when they support a regime like Saudi Arabia if your going to boycott China for supporting another evil regime

As I have repeatedly stated. You seem to view every regime that commits atrocities in the same light. I have made the step of being able to distinguish North Korea from the rest for the sheer inhumanity of its leadership.

We cannot boycott every inhumane regime in the world any more then I could feed everyone in the world; but if I could feed one person I'm not going to refuse on the basis that "well I can't feed everyone, so I wont feed anyone". That's a perverted logic - I will do what is within my means to influence: in this instance it is North Korea's sponsors.
Reply 24
No point OP!
Reply 25
Original post by 4TSR
No point OP!

The point is that my money doesn't help support this anti-human sponsorship of North Korea. I'm not claiming to bring down the politburo.
Reply 26
Original post by RyanT
The point is that my money doesn't help support this anti-human sponsorship of North Korea. I'm not claiming to bring down the politburo.

If that's the issue then you should also Boycott British/American products because they support the Egyptian regime which is quite nasty when it comes to human rights.
Original post by Aj12

All you are saying is that the boycotter is potentially hypocritical.

His reasoning could be that he simply wants to boycott one country after another rather than doing all of them at once. That would be a fairly sensible line of logic.

Hypocrisy isn't a justification to ignore murder.
Reply 28
Original post by 4TSR
If that's the issue then you should also Boycott British/American products because they support the Egyptian regime which is quite nasty when it comes to human rights.

As I have said - I have alternative tools that I do use against western governments. Have you even ever written to your MP?

These slippery slope arguments are getting tiresome. There are many good causes out there in the world, I don't understand why I'm getting attacked for trying to support one on the basis that I'm not supporting every single one!

4TSR - yes or no: Do you think it is beneficial for the North Korean people to see Chinese support of the oppressive North Korean state ended? If so, why the belligerence about boycotting China?
Reply 29
Original post by RyanT
Imagine every factory in China receives 0 orders this month. The same again next month. The same again the next month after that. Just imagine the huge effects it will have - now consider that the motive behind it is solidarity with the North Korean people.

It will force changes.

The North Korean government is being propped up by China and that prop must be removed. According to your logic the terrible crimes of the North Korean state should be allowed to continue in perpetuity with countries like the UK being complicit through shipments of goods. It is best for the people of North Korea that the present state is removed - and this is achieved by hurting its main sponsor.

well,
1) Chinese factories are only 10% export dependent,of which export to UK is less than 5%-- a .5% total maybe. DO NOT OVERESTIMATE YOURSELF and every penny u saved from the evil nation hurts your own nation maybe hundreds of times more
2) by doing so u kill 5%~10% of the tariff of UK as i assume u live in UK. How well is UK's financial stat now?
3) i do agree that the removal of current government of NK is the best for the people, but your thought is just... i don't want to use the word ridiculous but how can u remove a government that do not care about it's people's life by further worsen it's people's life? and i assure u that and rebellion in NK will lead to guaranteed massacre.

Original post by DorianGrayism
The main reason why there is a food shortage is because there is a famine that has occurred in the country since 1990. It has nothing to do with the blockade.

North Korea refuses to have any help. It has regularly refused food aid from the US. Furthermore, much of the food on sale is too expensive for ordinary people.

The Elite of the country do not care about the people.

It is as simple as that.

if i can remind u, these 'aids' from US are all conditional thus that's bargain, not aid, and i did mention that in my previous post(s)

EDIT:i read into data and find out UK is a minor trade partner and the 10% of 10% of my estimation is wrong, it's a little bit more than 5% of 10%
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by RyanT
As I have said - I have alternative tools that I do use against western governments. Have you even ever written to your MP?

These slippery slope arguments are getting tiresome. There are many good causes out there in the world, I don't understand why I'm getting attacked for trying to support one on the basis that I'm not supporting every single one!

4TSR - yes or no: Do you think it is beneficial for the North Korean people to see Chinese support of the oppressive North Korean state ended? If so, why the belligerence about boycotting China?

RyanT - yes or no: Do you think it is beneficial for the Egyption people to see AngloAmerican support of the oppressive egyption state ended? If so, why the belligerence about boycotting USA/UK?
Reply 31
Aren't you more likely to screw over the everyday people of China rather than those in government positions?

Given their current regime, is it not more likely that the extra fundings required will just end up coming out of the pocket of the workers?
Reply 32
Original post by 4TSR
RyanT - yes or no: Do you think it is beneficial for the Egyption people to see AngloAmerican support of the oppressive egyption state ended? If so, why the belligerence about boycotting USA/UK?

Yes I would agree it is beneficial and would happily give you moral support in boycotting such. I don't believe North Korea and her sponsors have a monopoly on evil in this world. I am however, boycotting China for her sponsorship of North Korea. If you want to trade ideas on how to carry out your boycott you're welcome to PM me.
Original post by RyanT

Racist idiot! I'm boycotting American products because their govt is let planes fly into buildings to give a reason to invade a country for oil. Worse still, they pretend to be the good guys!
Original post by LaughingBro
Racist idiot! I'm boycotting American products because their govt is let planes fly into buildings to give a reason to invade a country for oil. Worse still, they pretend to be the good guys!

Ah, I forgot to 'inb4 laughingbro ZOMGGG'
Reply 35
Original post by LaughingBro

I never claimed the American government were angels.

I simply stated that on the basis of what I've seen from the undercover video (linked in my post at the top) and what information I have access to about North Korea - I could not possibly justify any actions which help the North Korean state in its crimes against innocent n.Korean people. A big part of the problem is China - so I will not trade for Chinese goods as a consequence.

If you wish to boycott American goods for good reasons, then that is admirable.

I don't understand how you can accuse me of racism when I only want to help normal North Korean people - that's the complete opposite of racism.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by RyanT
Yes I would agree it is beneficial and would happily give you moral support in boycotting such. I don't believe North Korea and her sponsors have a monopoly on evil in this world. I am however, boycotting China for her sponsorship of North Korea. If you want to trade ideas on how to carry out your boycott you're welcome to PM me.

Sorry but you wont get far. I wish you the best and gift you the following image to hopefully boost your moral:

Original post by RyanT
TSR users boycotting China:
RyanT

I gurantee that you will fail. Everything is made in China these days, even if you buy something that says "made in England", it's only assembled here, it's going to have parts made in China.

Your boycott doomed to failure I'm afraid.
Reply 38
Original post by The-Real-One
I gurantee that you will fail. Everything is made in China these days, even if you buy something that says "made in England", it's only assembled here, it's going to have parts made in China.

Your boycott doomed to failure I'm afraid.

for example, 1 Airbus in 3 uses Chinese wings, 1 Boeing in 2 uses Chinese parts. not saying the decorations used in them

most DELL, IBM, HP, and Sony computers contain Chinese parts or chips
You will have to live in the jungles then.. mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending