The Student Room Group

US being reckless?

So im sure everyone heard about the Koreon conflict in recent week. The US pledged to stand by South 'shoulder to shoulder', and for that reason the joint military exercise started today, with US having nuclear submarines there too. North Korea sees this exercise as provocation, whereas China expressed 'concern' for the exercise being close to Chinas land. I see this as a start to WW3, discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It could get hardcore.
I rather hope so; to shake things up a bit. It would show that we aren't below using the extent of our power if required. ('our' meaning 'the west')
Reply 2
The US can't back down in a situation like this, if it is to retain the upper hand in it's stalemate with China.
Reply 3
yea its america being reckless probably trying to show off. If everyone is going to play the same game then that will lead to WW3. That being "look how strong we are". NK starting it off by bombing SK to let them know how defiant they are, then USA responding with their forces moving into the area to let NK know how defiant they are then China not putting up with it so making an action against the USA to show how defiant they are.

They're all childish egos on a playground, anyone thinking they're the rational ones are delusioned.
Reply 4
Original post by Steevee
The US can't back down in a situation like this, if it is to retain the upper hand in it's stalemate with China.

Mhm and if i was China i wouldnt want to back down to US.
Reply 5
Original post by Swimmer
. I see this as a start to WW3, discuss.

Then your an idiot. As if China would nuke the Us. Bah.

The US and Chinese economies are linked like Siamese twins if one dies so will the other.
Original post by Swimmer

If China and America's situations were switched, they would be an uproar!
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
Then your an idiot. As if China would nuke the Us. Bah.

The US and Chinese economies are linked like Siamese twins if one dies so will the other.

I did not say nuke, did i?. US owns trillions to China, so in that way US is more dependant on them.
Reply 8
Original post by Swimmer
I did not say nuke, did i?. US owns trillions to China, so in that way US is more dependant on them.

No because the US could turn around and say fk you China im not paying the money back which would take both countries down.

Anyway if NK does anything rash like attacks a US carrier group then the odds are China may well invade NK and occupy the land rather than be dragged into a war or allow the US to build a strong westernised Korea
The North Koreans see everything as a provocation, so they can reasonably be ignored. I doubt the Chinese are going to make demands about what the US can and can't do because it will put both nations in an awkward position where inevitably one has to back down. The US will take into account Chinese concerns, as it has done in the past, but these will most likely be delivered subtly or through diplomatic channels.
Reply 10
We are having a conversation about North Korea and saying another country is being reckless???

It is just a military exercise, if NK thinks this is provocative then they obviously have a low threshold for provocation. It is not like the US has sent any missiles into NK... Don't forget NK just shelled S Korea..
Reply 11
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11856454

Oh look China has been freaked out by the tension but instead of backing NK they have called for diplomatic talks. So much for WW3
All I can say is that I feel Britain is being left out.

If America can start/be involved in all of these stand-offs, then we too should have a couple. We should choose a country for which we have no intention of fighting/invading but continuously deploy our military assets in such a way that it looks like we may strike at any moment.

I nominate Sweden ... we can't have them getting out of hand!
Reply 14
Original post by PasserBy9
All I can say is that I feel Britain is being left out.

If America can start/be involved in all of these stand-offs, then we too should have a couple. We should choose a country for which we have no intention of fighting/invading but continuously deploy our military assets in such a way that it looks like we may strike at any moment.

I nominate Sweden ... we can't have them getting out of hand!

I disagree. America has so much influence around the world and for this reason alot of people hate the country, we dont want same happening to UK do we?. Having military influence in different countries suggest that US has intention of a war, thats same as teenagers carrying knifes (they say its for defence, but they have intention of murder or GBH).
Reply 15
The US government most likely knows a lot more than us about the motivations behind North Koreas sudden aggression- let's bear in mind that there in a transference of leadership going on... they may well just be baring their teeth lest the world thinks that Kim Jong-il's son is more of a 'wimp' than he is.
Reply 17
The exercises are nothing out of the ordinary, they happen many times a year and have done for decades. The US also has 30,000 troops permanently based in SKorea, so it's in their interest to watch the situation - especially as the original UN mission some 57years ago hasn't finished.

It's not the US poking it's nose in where it's not wanted - it's the rest of the world who's given up on it.
Reply 18

Look up the defences of a carrier group. No way in hell is a missile getting through that.
Reply 19
Original post by Aj12
Look up the defences of a carrier group. No way in hell is a missile getting through that.

Haha yeah I know. The carreir is awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending