The Student Room Group

Do you think Alcohol is addictive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Broderss
wow you ****ing retards it's not addictive but people can become dependant on it, just like with everything else on this planet. You can become dependant on anything but that doesn't mean it's addictive.

****ing retards :facepalm:

I direct you to my first post. Click the bbc link.

:facepalm:
Original post by TheSownRose
The substance itself may not be - for example, heroin addiction, you want the substance; in something like cannabis addiction, you want the feeling. It's that latter one that I think you can become addicted to alcohol with - you like feeling drunk, so you want it more.

Actually, alcohol is one of the few substances that you can become physically dependent on - along with heroin. Therefore your body needs the substance to function. If withdrawal isn't handled properly, the convulsions it will cause can kill you. Whereas with cocaine etc, it's a mental dependency.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by L'Amour Toujours
Seeing as you seem to think there's a massive difference between something being addictive and people becoming dependant on certain substances, I don't see the point in trying to explain. If it's not addictive, explain alcoholics to me? There has to be some reason they're described as being addicted to alcohol, right?

Alcohol is habit forming and people can become dependant on alcohol (alcoholics) but it is not addictive. You smoke so you know what an addictive substance is, when you first started smoking you started to crave more tobacco (nicotine) and that is addiction; when your body tells you it needs something. Alcohol is not addictive because you don't crave more each day after you first drank any. If you use alcohol as a coping method (same goes for hot baths, food, masturbation, etc) you can become dependant on it and you feel like you crave it, but it itself isn't addictive.
Alcohol is habit forming and people can become dependant on alcohol (alcoholics) but it is not addictive. You smoke so you know what an addictive substance is, when you first started smoking you started to crave more tobacco (nicotine) and that is addiction; when your body tells you it needs something. Alcohol is not addictive because you don't crave more each day after you first drank any. If you use alcohol as a coping method (same goes for hot baths, food, masturbation, etc) you can become dependant on it and you feel like you crave it, but it itself isn't addictive.

Fair enough, I do agree with you to a certain extent and I could've perhaps worded my original post better than I did - I don't think I have ever really looked at alcohol from the same perspective as I do smoking before, tbh.
Reply 24
Original post by AskMeAnything
Did you not even click my top link?

Alcohol is a physically addictive drug. The withdrawal symptoms for alcoholics are horrendous. Just because you yourself don't feel addicted to it doesn't make it non-addictive. I have a cigarette every once in a while, around once a week with my friends, and I'm not addicted to it. That doesn't mean cigarettes are not addictive, I just haven't smoked enough of them to feel that effect. The same with alcohol - if you drank every day you would soon feel the physical effects of addiction - craving it etc - because it's a physically addictive substance.

As I said again - the question you are asking is wrong. You want to ask is 'are you addicted to alcohol'.

I do drink, yes.

I'm not an addict, no, but I understand that it is a physically addictive drug and I seek to avoid having a drink every single day of the week.

Yes, I realised that once people started reading the question wrong hence why I quoted you saying I don't mean scientifically I mean on a personal level.

You are contridicting yourself you previously said (below) Different levels of addiction etc. You just said you wouldn't class yourself as an addict but below your saying that to drink you must be addicted .....

So would you say just because you like to drink it on a night out you're addicted?

Original post by AskMeAnything
Yet every Friday and Saturday night we go out and do it because we're addicted to that great feeling it gives you.

Explain to me how that isn't being addicted to something, even if it is only slight and breakable addition. Alcohol is both physically and mentally addictive, but for the vast amount of people who do it in moderation only mentally so.
It's a fact that alcohol is addictive, but you have to get into a habit of drinking it before the addiction becomes hard to break. I'm not addicted and after last night I don't think I'll be making too much of a habit of drinking loads for the next month or so... :s-smilie:
Reply 26

That is THE coolest thing i've ever seen.
Original post by felt_monkey
Actually, alcohol is one of the few substances that you can become physically dependent on - along with heroin. Therefore your body needs the substance to function. If withdrawal isn't handled properly, the convulsions it will cause can kill you. Whereas with cocaine etc, it's a mental dependency.

Oh wow, didn't know that - thanks.
Reply 28
Original post by Linzikins
I've noticed that alot of people on here speak about the addictiveness of alcohol and use it as a reason not to try it.

I'm not trying to say that people should drink or in no way am I trying to defend it against people that don't agree on it, i'm just curious.

I know obviously there are alcoholics but do you personally think its addictive or see it as just a good night out?

If you drink, would you say your addicted or not?

Off topic:

You have to replace Zain with Liam on your sig!!!

But Harry!! woohoo!! The things I would let him do :sexface:
Depends on the alcoholic beverage, also depends on the individual's mind set.
Reply 30
Alcohol is not a drug, it's a DRINK!
Reply 31
I definitely find it addictive.
On a night out, I drink the most out of all my friends. On more than one occasion I've found myself completely plastered, verging on the being sick stage and not actually being able to walk, and yet I still go to the bar and buy more drink. I never ever think to myself 'Ohmigawd I'm carparked here, I need to slow down!' I just think 'MOOORRREEEE' :o: I really do have trouble stopping once I've started, that's why I don't go out as often!

With everything else (eg food maybe?) I know when to stop.
Er, of course a drinker is less likely to boast about the addictive qualities of alcohol.

I suppose I understand what you mean about alcohol being different to smoking or other drugs in the sense that it is not so much the actual substance which you crave, but the effects and all the associations. Therefore the 'process' of becoming addicted is a lot more long-term.
Original post by Xtremist
Alcohol is not a drug, it's a DRINK!

Do you actually know what the word "drug" means?

Disregard this, I missed the reference. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)

The **** are you on about? If someone consumes enough alcohol habitually, the brain down-regulates GABA A receptors. Not only does tolerance build up and a higher consumption of alcohol is required, but if you take that alcohol away, suddenly there isn't enough endogenous nervous transmission because there is an imbalance between NT:Receptors. Thus, you get withdrawal, excitotoxicity, seizures, brain damage etc etc. This is essentially the same physiology behind other addictions.

In fact, alcohol withdrawal can potentially be fatal if it's not managed properly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
I'd say that it's only a problem if it affects your work, your relationships or your studying regardless of how much you drink.

You could function on six or so cans a day and not be considered an alcoholic if it doesn't affect you in those ways.
Reply 36
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
The **** are you on about? If someone consumes enough alcohol habitually, the brain down-regulates GABA A receptors. Not only does tolerance build up and a higher consumption of alcohol is required, but if you take that alcohol away, suddenly there isn't enough endogenous nervous transmission because there is an imbalance between NT:Receptors. Thus, you get withdrawal, excitotoxicity, seizures, brain damage etc etc. This is essentially the same physiology behind other addictions.

In fact, alcohol withdrawal can potentially be fatal if it's not managed properly.

come at me i'll spark you out blud
Original post by broderss
come at me i'll spark you out blud

come at me bro
i don't care whether people think it is or not, because i know it is, i've seen it, and i know how far the addiction can go.

i don't have a problem with alcohol, but i wouldn't go out binge drinking and if i did i wouldn't do it often. the most i'd have is a few drinks on a normal night out. not every night either.

no i'm not addicted, but it would be possible for me to become addicted.
(edited 13 years ago)

if you become "dependant" (your definition of dependant) on hot baths or whatever, you don't get withdrawal syptoms, like you do with addictive substances, like you do with alcohol. you CAN stop taking hot baths, unless you have some kind of mental problem. alcohol is addictive if you get to the point of addiction, i don't see that it matters how long it takes you to get to that point. the fact is, you can become addicted to it, whether you use it as a coping method, or if you've just had too much too regularly, or if you have a low tolerance.

people don't die for hot baths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending