The Student Room Group

Joining the army with -4.5 eyesight?

Hey can I join the army with -4.5 eyesight. Thanks for any information.
Reply 1
I don't know about the British army, but the US certainly don't have a problem with employing soldiers who are nearly blind.
Reply 2
Yeah you should be fine, it's the level that your correctable to. My eyesight is -6.00 and -5.75 and my prescription is still good enough (with correction, contacts or glasses).
Good luck with your application.
Reply 3
Original post by rugbygreg
Yeah you should be fine, it's the level that your correctable to. My eyesight is -6.00 and -5.75 and my prescription is still good enough (with correction, contacts or glasses).
Good luck with your application.

Thanks, alot for the information, are you currently applying for the army?
Reply 4
Original post by Tomallanson
Thanks, alot for the information, are you currently applying for the army?

Not at the moment, I'm off to University in September and plan to join as an officer once I graduate, but have research into the issue. What regiment are you looking at joining?
Reply 5
Cool, I'm looking at joing the royal engineers, looking in to starting the application process now.
Reply 6
Original post by Tomallanson
Cool, I'm looking at joing the royal engineers, looking in to starting the application process now.

Ah cracking, well good luck! Getting a trade will be well worth it once you get out.
Reply 7
on the eyesight form your optician declares that your eyesight is better than -7 both eyes for the army
Reply 8
....yeah you will be fine. i have -4.25. Get hold of monthly disposable contacts. I have left them in for upto 3 or 4 months before with no side effects. Also - a word of advice from someone who regrets - don't do it. Get a proper job, join the TA. Don't join the regulars. It's ****.
Original post by english.man
Also - a word of advice from someone who regrets - don't do it. Get a proper job, join the TA. Don't join the regulars. It's ****.

Why do you say that? Given the TA deploy t the same locations, what is your problem with the regulars?
Regular army = Tedium, boredom, being treated like a cunit, boredom, tedium, being treated like a cunit.....ect ect.

I turn my brain off on Sunday night and back on again on Friday afternoon if i'm at work.
(edited 13 years ago)
What do you do? Why is it tedious? I know lots of guys and girls who love their careers.
Reply 12
I dont know much about eyesight or what all the numbers mean, however in the phase 1 eye test i could only read the 2nd letter down with left and right eye, and i dont have glasses. Yeah i know, i should... :smile:
Reply 13
I've looked in to it abit more and I think I'm going to struggle getting in the royal engineers or REME, as a soilder as it appears these jobs require 6/60 unaided vision. And with my eyesight and a bit worse then this unaided. Shame I wasn't going officer as these jobs don't require this unaided vision. The prescription range that can see 6/60 varies from -2/-4 diopters.
What about a person with -7.5 uncorrected eyesight ? Any chance of joining the army ?

Quick Reply

Latest