The Student Room Group

Most competitive course..

Hi, I was just wondering what the most competitive uni course is? and how competitive is it?

Scroll to see replies

Medicine, Law, Economics.... It depends what uni's you apply to. If your applying to top uni's then very competitive.
Reply 2
English is also quite competitive.

Some argue Psychology is also quite competitive, however it is widely available so I think that reduces its competitiveness slightly.
History is also a very competitive course (in this Humanities/Social Sciences vein), and requires the illustrious A* at UCL and Cambridge (a clear indicator of competiveness and difficulty).
Reply 4
Original post by HighestKungFu
History is also a very competitive course (in this Humanities/Social Sciences vein), and requires the illustrious A* at UCL and Cambridge (a clear indicator of competiveness and difficulty).

I think most if not all courses at Cambridge now require at least one A*

But I agree with you about History being a competitive course.
Original post by Pheebs1201
I think most if not all courses at Cambridge now require at least one A*

But I agree with you about History being a competitive course.

A fair point - although at UCL they only use it for very few courses :smile:.
According to the UCAS stats, in 2009 the most competitive course was Classical Greek studies, with twenty-three applicants to each place (of which there was one.)
Medecine>Economics>Law

Medecine for obivous reasons

Economics- very very top students get rejected by the likes of UCL Warwick LSE Bristol Edinghburgh and I can continue on. The increase in applicants could be due to the 2008 world economic crash, younger people have become more interested about our world economy more than ever before partially because of the media.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by HighestKungFu
A fair point - although at UCL they only use it for very few courses :smile:.

True :smile:
Reply 9
Oh, and cant believe it hasnt been mentioned yet, studying to become a Vet!
~60% of medicine applicants get 0 offers for medicine, but I'm not sure if it is the absolute most competitive there is. Vet science does sound pretty mental.
Most probably medicine or economics at the top unis.
Original post by TheSownRose
According to the UCAS stats, in 2009 the most competitive course was Classical Greek studies, with twenty-three applicants to each place (of which there was one.)

KCL graduate medicine (an undergraduate degree) has twice that.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
KCL graduate medicine (an undergraduate degree) has twice that.

Title asks for most competitive course, not course at a particular uni. :wink:

Medicine overall came sixth on the competitive list.
Title asks for most competitive course, not course at a particular uni. :wink:

Medicine overall came sixth on the competitive list.

You said there was only one place.

That's going to be one course at a particular uni.
Vetinary! Soo many applicants, even more than medicine, and only 7 unis to do it in.
You said there was only one place.

That's going to be one course at a particular uni.

It's still the overall course statistics, whereas graduate-entry medicine at KCL is uni-specific.
It's still the overall course statistics, whereas graduate-entry medicine at KCL is uni-specific.

So is your statistic if it is only taken from one place and therefore one university. It's clearly a negligable anomaly.
So is your statistic if it is only taken from one place and therefore one university. It's clearly a negligable anomaly.

But it doesn't specify what uni. It could be at Cambridge or Abertay-Dundee, we don't know and it doesn't matter ... but in 2009, twenty-three people applied for one place. It's a competitive course statistic, and irrelevant that you could only study it at one place anyway. People didn't choose to apply to that uni over another, they could only apply to that uni if they wanted to do that course.

You might get forty-six applying for each place at KCL for graduate-entry medicine, but only twenty applying for each place at every other uni (obviously making these up.) Therefore, the competition for grad-entry medicine in general is lower than that of Classical Greek studies.
(edited 13 years ago)
But it doesn't specify what uni. It could be at Cambridge or Abertay-Dundee, we don't know and it doesn't matter ... but in 2009, twenty-three people applied for one place. It's a competitive course statistic, and irrelevant that you could only study it at one place anyway. People didn't choose to apply to that uni over another, they could only apply to that uni if they wanted to do that course.

You might get forty-six applying for each place at KCL for graduate-entry medicine, but only twenty applying for each place at every other uni (obviously making these up.) Therefore, the statistics for how competitive that course is lower than the Classical Greek studies.

Your straw clutching is unbearable. The point remains.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending