The Student Room Group

Advice on procrastination...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am now swimming in so much stuff that I procrastinate work by doing more work.
I came here hoping to pass on my wisdom on how to procrastinate, but alas... :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by Captain92
I usually let things build up then complete them all in a flurry of inspiration.

Pretty much this for me, really.
When I have a lot of work to do I just visit universities websites and get inspired to get into uni and do it all.
Reply 23
If someone put a gun to your head right now (think 'Fight Club') and told you to start studying otherwise he would blow your brains out, you would have no problem motivating yourself. It's within you to stop procrastinating, you just need to learn how to trigger that.

You need to create massive fear because fear is probably one of the greatest motivators there is. People have no problem working the day before an exam or assignment deadline because the fear is there.

Humans are generally motivated by a desire to seek pleasure or to avoid pain. You can either associate pleasure with studying i.e. visualising graduation day or passing exams or whatever; or massive pain i.e. failure and embarassment.
Create rock bottom in your imagination and make it painful. 6 months before an exam, the fear of failing is an intellectual awareness, not an emotional one. (The latter is the night before the exam.) The brain cannot tell the difference between what is real and what is imagined. Take 'Scrooge' as an example. He was motivated by things he saw in his imagination, those things didn't actually happen.

There's a famous quote that says something like 'he who has a strong enough WHY, can overcome almost any HOW.' If you have strong reasons, a strong desire to do something, a clear specific goal you are working towards-a vision, then you will figure out how to overcome any obstacles in your way such as procrastination.

Maybe even create a reward system whereby you 'treat' yourself for doing X amount of work. Every 1000 mile journey starts with a first step so don't aim to do a whole module in one night, break it down in to baby steps so you don't get overwhelmed and put off before you even get started.
Original post by iwwhty
If someone put a gun to your head right now (think 'Fight Club') and told you to start studying otherwise he would blow your brains out, you would have no problem motivating yourself. It's within you to stop procrastinating, you just need to learn how to trigger that.

You need to create massive fear because fear is probably one of the greatest motivators there is. People have no problem working the day before an exam or assignment deadline because the fear is there.

Humans are generally motivated by a desire to seek pleasure or to avoid pain. You can either associate pleasure with studying i.e. visualising graduation day or passing exams or whatever; or massive pain i.e. failure and embarassment.
Create rock bottom in your imagination and make it painful. 6 months before an exam, the fear of failing is an intellectual awareness, not an emotional one. (The latter is the night before the exam.) The brain cannot tell the difference between what is real and what is imagined. Take 'Scrooge' as an example. He was motivated by things he saw in his imagination, those things didn't actually happen.

There's a famous quote that says something like 'he who has a strong enough WHY, can overcome almost any HOW.' If you have strong reasons, a strong desire to do something, a clear specific goal you are working towards-a vision, then you will figure out how to overcome any obstacles in your way such as procrastination.

Maybe even create a reward system whereby you 'treat' yourself for doing X amount of work. Every 1000 mile journey starts with a first step so don't aim to do a whole module in one night, break it down in to baby steps so you don't get overwhelmed and put off before you even get started.

Couldn't put it any better than this. Well said.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

In your case, it would be to gtfo of TSR

You're welcome:smile:
Reply 26
This bothers me most. I was about to finish my essay, but now I'm on here again.

Hopefully I can get started, next hour....
Reply 27
I was going to offer some advice, but I'll do it later.
Personal motivation and an interest in your topic.

Nobody can tell you how to avoid procrastinating because it's voluntary. Your in control of your actions and at the time you want to procrastinate.

To stop it happening you have to motivate yourself to do the work and this (for me) happens by getting interested in the topic. It's way easier to work towards something you enjoy. I only usually procrastinate towards dull tasks (housework etc).
Reply 29
Original post by S129439
Personal motivation and an interest in your topic.

Nobody can tell you how to avoid procrastinating because it's voluntary. Your in control of your actions and at the time you want to procrastinate.

To stop it happening you have to motivate yourself to do the work and this (for me) happens by getting interested in the topic. It's way easier to work towards something you enjoy. I only usually procrastinate towards dull tasks (housework etc).

So how do you do the dull tasks?
If you love life, don't waste time, because time is what life is made up of.

Actually everyone procrastinate. It's more a matter of priority. Know your priorities.

But it's true, it's difficult to push yourself to do things that doesn't feel motivating. Good is that there are many ways to motivate yourself.

To realize that when we're not moving forward, we are actually moving backwards... that's a good reminder. How far behind do you want to get?
Original post by SoulfulBoy
So how do you do the dull tasks?

Well usually dull tasks are necessary. There aren't many tasks people do that are boring and unnecessary.

I just have to acknowledge they need to be done and 'bite the bullet' I suppose.
Reply 32
I'm horrible when it comes to this. So I don't know what to say.

Someone should just whip me, force me to do something.

No, wait.. that sounds a little wrong, lol.
Reply 33
Original post by Luceria
I'm horrible when it comes to this. So I don't know what to say.

Someone should just whip me, force me to do something.

No, wait.. that sounds a little wrong, lol.

It sounds so good. So should I force you with confident eyes and a sexy smile to have a dinner with me?:hat2:
Original post by Quadratic
You cannot overcome procrastination. Procrastination overcomes you.

in soviet russia...
Reply 35
Original post by SoulfulBoy
It sounds so good. So should I force you with confident eyes and a sexy smile to have a dinner with me?:hat2:

Oh, yes. I think that would work quite well :wink:
Reply 36
Original post by TimmonaPortella
in soviet russia...

My friend...:colone:
Go watch some TV and have a nap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending