The Student Room Group

The big wikileaks thread

Scroll to see replies

huhhh
i'm confuuuused!
can someone please explain to me wth wikileaks are?!
Reply 81
Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl
Everyone and their mother knows about that..... :teehee:

????
Can someone explain what they are
and if we any have been leaked what they are about?

i feel so stupid lol
Reply 83
Original post by Broderss
I think things like this are pretty significant though http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/237693

Hmm; Not really, I trust that the Government's have got it covered really.
I hope always that as little as possible information is given to the wishy-washy-wimpy hoi polloi. You can't run a country by giving everyone a say. There's no telling what sort of sensationalism would have been created had the press got hold of that; and the subsequent demonstrations by unemployed folk and students wanting to change the world, man, would have been painful and debilitating.
Reply 84
Original post by azn-wonder91
huhhh
i'm confuuuused!
can someone please explain to me wth wikileaks are?!

A website that receives information from disaffected government employees (of any government). They then post that information on their website. It basically revolves around revealing the truth about secrets. It has servers in many countries and was responsible for releasing the (rather mundane) Iraq war logs (on their website).

This last batch of information comes from the US secret network for diplomatic transmissions, provided by a (now jailed) American intelligence analyst.

The site is a target for governments hell bent on hiding their dirty laundry. The website has been under cyberattacks today and the website founder is wanted on rape "allegations" - an attempt to smear him by secret services.

Hope that helps!
Reply 85
Original post by MoanyLisa
I agree. I was referring to Iran in particular.

Iran couldn't attack america or europe but could attack israel and all american interests in the region and this will happen if iran is attacked.
Original post by Bubbles0ox
Can someone explain what they are
and if we any have been leaked what they are about?

i feel so stupid lol

Wikileaks is a website which releases sensitive information which has been sent to it by anonymous sources (like the video of US helicopter pilots shooting at innocent people). This time, they've managed to get hold of conversations between the US government and US embassies around the world that talk about various different events and world leaders. For example, one of the documents talks about a member of the royal family being "inappropriate."
Reply 87
would be interesting to hear some "damaging" info regarding the israelis.
Nothing better to put some fire into the ME peace process!
Reply 88
Original post by RyanT
I can't find it - are you sure it'd get deleted if posted on this forum? :lolwut:

I thought the only think that got censored on here was the incident involving bubbles.

Which incident?? :beard:
Original post by Addzter
Wikileaks is a website which releases sensitive information which has been sent to it by anonymous sources (like the video of US helicopter pilots shooting at innocent people). This time, they've managed to get hold of conversations between the US government and US embassies around the world that talk about various different events and world leaders. For example, one of the documents talks about a member of the royal family being "inappropriate."

i didnt even know about that helicopter one :O
hmmm..
Reply 90
Original post by RyanT
It's being released in tranches. Something different every day for about a week. :smile:

P.S.

A lot of this is seriously big. Imagine being one of the politicians in the middle east asking the Americans to bomb fellow Muslims in Iran. Doing it is one thing, but having Muslim constituents find out? Jee...

Seriously, I wouldn't get so giddy and excited about this. You should probably know that the Saudi's have wanted the IRI destroyed for the best part of two decades. :sadnod: It was a widely debated fact in the eighties for christ's sake.

Also, the vast majority of Saudi's are Sunni wheras the majority of Iranian's are Shiite. I doubt there is much outrage among the public about Saudi Royal Family opposition to a powerful expansionist rival just across the pond...
i didnt even know about that helicopter one :O
hmmm..

It's not very nice. They just shoot indiscriminately at people, for no reason at all really. It's from 2007, in Iraq. :frown:

Reply 92
My favourite of the latest batch of embassy leaks

Berlusconi is described by the Americans as "feckless, vain and ineffective as a modern European leader" :biggrin:
Original post by Addzter
It's not very nice. They just shoot indiscriminately at people, for no reason at all really. It's from 2007, in Iraq. :frown:

WTF!!
why did they do that?!? i dont understand
literally just brought a tear to my eye

how can people be so heartless to happily kill other human beings, especially knowing theres children watching it

makes me feel sick.
WTF!!

how can people be so heartless to happily kill other human beings, especially knowing theres children watching it

makes me feel sick.

It's terrible, isn't it? :frown:
Original post by Addzter

i don't even understand.
Why would people happily do that.
urgh.
Reply 96
WTF!!

makes me feel sick.

They shot at the children too. :frown::frown:
WTF!!

makes me feel sick.

Original post by Addzter

How is that any different from the purpose of war?

I don't mean the fact that it was a mistake but the bit in bold.
Original post by Pheonixx
They shot at the children too. :frown::frown:

its beyond sad.
its absolutely disgusting that they just felt nothing for killing human beings.
Original post by sleekchic
How is that any different from the purpose of war?

I don't mean the fact that it was a mistake but the bit in bold.

you're right. I dont agree with war anyway so it's no different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending