The Student Room Group

Standard Error and 95% confidence limits..?! 0.o

Hey guys

I have a ISA test for statistics tomorrow morning, for Biology A2. I'm sure that I'll be using Standard error and 95% confidence limits. I know how to do the equation and everything.. But.. What do I gain from my answer?

It sounds really stupid, but I don't know how to interpret my result. How do I know if it's in the 95% confidence limit?

- it says on my sheet, 'confidence limit = 2 x Standard error above and below the mean.' Can somebody explain this to me?

Thanks, I would really appreciate your help here!

kitty x
Reply 1
The confidence limit is where your error bars should be. The 95% confidence limit should be from an actual statistical test like Chi squared or Mann-Whitney.

That any clearer?
Reply 2
yep, confidence limits are your error bars, these bars are to make sure that if your experiment underwent any errors, then it would not affect the results so much that the results lye outside the error bars. You carry out this test to determine whether or not you can accept or reject whats known as the null hypothesis, that any significant differences between your data is due to chance.

Hope this helped
Reply 3
Original post by kultist
The confidence limit is where your error bars should be. The 95% confidence limit should be from an actual statistical test like Chi squared or Mann-Whitney.

That any clearer?

Thankyou :smile: you have definitely made things clearer. I don't remember being taught this haha. Really appreciate your help.x
Reply 4
Original post by Eloades11
yep, confidence limits are your error bars, these bars are to make sure that if your experiment underwent any errors, then it would not affect the results so much that the results lye outside the error bars. You carry out this test to determine whether or not you can accept or reject whats known as the null hypothesis, that any significant differences between your data is due to chance.

Hope this helped

Thankyou, that's great :smile: I really appreciate you helping. Hope tomorrow goes ok... Sleep now! Thankyou.x
Reply 5
Original post by kitz
Thankyou, that's great :smile: I really appreciate you helping. Hope tomorrow goes ok... Sleep now! Thankyou.x

no problem, hope you understand better now :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kitz
Thankyou :smile: you have definitely made things clearer. I don't remember being taught this haha. Really appreciate your help.x

If its any consolation Ive just completed a statistics based psychology degree and I struggled to remember half of this :confused:
Reply 7
I have this ISA next week, I was stuck between whether it was the spearmans rank or 95% confidence limit test - is it actuall this one ?
Reply 8
Original post by Gemma2010
I have this ISA next week, I was stuck between whether it was the spearmans rank or 95% confidence limit test - is it actuall this one ?

seen as though no one else has replied, can I ask what you mean, you was stuck even though you have the test next week?
Spearmans rank tells us how much correlation there is between two variables(may just be the one, cant remember), how I remember this is that its in the name, spearmans rank correlation coefficient. 95% confidence limits detects whether or not two peices of data recorded are significantly different.

I would help you with the ISA, but I havent done it, and will never do it. Instead we do EMPA's which may be similar.
Reply 9
Original post by Eloades11
seen as though no one else has replied, can I ask what you mean, you was stuck even though you have the test next week?
Spearmans rank tells us how much correlation there is between two variables(may just be the one, cant remember), how I remember this is that its in the name, spearmans rank correlation coefficient. 95% confidence limits detects whether or not two peices of data recorded are significantly different.

I would help you with the ISA, but I havent done it, and will never do it. Instead we do EMPA's which may be similar.

Thanks for the reply :smile: just have to do the written tomorow now...
Yes I think there similar I'm retaking my AS ISA, but will be doing the EMPA for that in May I think it is.
Original post by Gemma2010
Thanks for the reply :smile: just have to do the written tomorow now...
Yes I think there similar I'm retaking my AS ISA, but will be doing the EMPA for that in May I think it is.

Oh right, good luck with that, feel free to let me know how you think you got on. I dont know what the difference is betweent the ISA's and EMPA's for biology, and why different sixth forms do different ones, confusing....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending