The Student Room Group

how do you get up early in the morning? methods/tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by (Online)
I find if I rub the sleep out of my eyes I'm less likely to go back to sleep.

This.

If I turn off my alarm without really opening my eyes properly, I'm far more likely to go back to sleep. I always rub my eyes before I turn off my alarm now, so I definitely get up.
I've started leaving my iTunes playing overnight at about volume 4, so that I wake up to music and turn it up. Seems to wake me up a wee bit, that and setting about 10 snooze alarms to go off every minute.
Reply 22
Original post by thewiseone
So I'm finding it hard to get up in the mornings (I go to school but somewhat sporadically, due to my timetable)

I have exams in Jan and am finding it particularly difficult to get up at anytime before 12pm and start revision, and I'm often told that you're most stimulated during the daytime hours... and if I do manage it, I feel extremely sick, angry and disgruntled...

Please let me know any tips/method that help you to wake up, when you know it isn't for school.

thanks!

I'm exactly like you! I actually can't revise pre-midday :/ Just make a to do list. Mine has been a flop recently though...

If you mean physically getting out of bed, my alarm clock is like on the other side of the room, so to stop the horrendous beeping it means I jump out of bed and run across the room to stop it (then I just fall back asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow). :ninja:
Reply 23
Strong coffee.
Reply 24
The classic method is to get out of bed ... :wink:

Nah, I know what you mean. Definitely put your alarm over the other side of the room. Immediately, make your bed. If I get up early I'm like a zombie and often end up back in bed. Then, shower, **** and shave, and go to the kitchen to eat your breakfast.

Basically, dissociate yourself from your bed and your room.
If you can't get up before midday, then I would suggest that you have more of a problem than most who say they can't get up..
Are you feeling low recently? Depression often disrupts our sleep pattern. Make sure that you get enough sleep during the night- go to bed no later than 11pm. See how that works. Oh, and don't do anything too stimulating before bed, either.
Reply 26
thewiseone
Please let me know any tips/method that help you to wake up, when you know it isn't for school.
The usual advice:

Food - Don't eat late. Eat a few hours before you go to sleep. Lay off the caffeine/alcohol/sugar near bedtime. Also: turn off tvs and monitors half an hour before you intend to go to bed.
Light - Try to get a strong light source in the morning - perhaps find a lamp you can easily turn on (or have automatically turned on) that is shining in your face in the morning. (Sleeping with open curtains is another option.)
Exercise - Make sure you exercise enough during the week. It's important. Duh.
I have an air raid siren as my alarm....so I sort of have to wake up...the added bonus is that it does put me into a slight panic when I first hear it...(its early...I'm slow....brain thinks there is an air raid happening :biggrin: )
Normally it's up already in the morning so I don't have to worry about coaxing it into life....

oh you meant waking up?
Reply 29
Usually whatever time I go to bed, as long as it's before 12:30, I can wake up at 6 but if I know that it would be hard to wake up the next morning I put my phone under my pillow. If my alarm is across the room I would sleep through it.
Always allow for a doze, but I turn the light on before hitting snooze - especially in these dark months!
Awake to someting uplifting/ happy. (If it's something I hate I snatch it off so quickly that I've not had time to wake up)
Wake, wee and wash immediately. No lazing.
Oh and I try to make sure I don't give myself more than 7 hours sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
This only works during the summer but if you sleep with the curtains open the sunshine makes you want to get up. Only side effect is is might make you wake up to early.
Seriously consider going to bed earlier. I get up at 7 each weekday and I genuinely notice a difference throughout the day between going to bed at 11 or 11.30, plus it does, obviously, make it easier to get up.
Reply 33
Coffee or a half packet of pro plus.. (i'm no doctor, so dont overdose cause of random internet guy with mark hoppus in his sig)
One tip. Don't get up till you want to, and then sleep late. That way you have the same amount of hours if you went to sleep early and woke up early.
Original post by sbarrie2
Coffee or a half packet of pro plus.. (i'm no doctor, so dont overdose cause of random internet guy with mark hoppus in his sig)

Who's Mark Hoppus?
Original post by Tech
I find if you down a pint of water before bed you tend to wake up when you need to use the loo. If you intercept the path between bed and toilet with a kettle you should be fine!

Ahaha, I do that every time if I need to wake up early.
Reply 37
I always set two alarms, because when I had one alarm I used to just turn it off and go back to sleep! Two alarms means if I sleep through the first, the other will always wake me up!
Erm... other than that, just go to bed at a sensible time.
Meh, thats how I get up at 5.30 for work :frown:
Go to bed earlier, it's not rocket science.
Reply 39
Original post by Miss Behaving
Who's Mark Hoppus?

Haha, good one. I liked that :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending