The Student Room Group

Contraception with long-term LDR partner - which method shall I use?

Hey guys! :smile:

I need some advice on LDR contraception. My ex-girlfriend, whom was from the same area as me just took a regular on-going pill, but this is very different.

We see each other, well used to, once a month. For now, it's less, but later in the year it will be once every 2 weeks or so.

So, we discussed the contraceptive pill and iirc, you can take 7-day cycle pills, right? So if every 3 weeks-month, I see her for a weekend or so, would this be a sensible idea?

Atm, we use condoms since it's like sex once every month to 6 weeks, but as it becomes more regular, and for the sakes of pleasure PLUS it's more effective, statistically, we wish to switch to the pill, or other methods.

Shall I take her to the GP or FPC and have a chat, explain the above situation and see what the doctor recommends?

My ex was on Microgynon 30 and took it everyday at the same time - so all in all, it was a very effective method of contraception. We went to the GP and sat down and had a chat, her being close to me, meant that was easy to do.

In an LDR, it's understandably harder and yeah... it's a pretty long LDR so people in LDR's who have regular sex, can you please recommend the method of contraception that you would use.

Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whats LDR?
Reply 2
Original post by 786girl
Whats LDR?

Long distance relationship. :smile:
Reply 3
I'm in a long term LDR and use the pill. I don't see what the problem with using it in this situation is :dontknow:

Fyi, you take the pill in a three week cycle, then have a 7 day break with a withdrawal bleed (period). Then onto the next pack (just to clear up your post).
Reply 4
Original post by ily_em
I'm in a long term LDR and use the pill. I don't see what the problem with using it in this situation is :dontknow:

Fyi, you take the pill in a three week cycle, then have a 7 day break with a withdrawal bleed (period). Then onto the next pack (just to clear up your post).

3 week cycle for less than 3 days sex, though?

Are the side-effects worth it?
Reply 5
Original post by i_<3_you

Never really thought about it that way.

I don't get any side effects (other than clearer skin!) so it doesn't affect me really; the only (very minor) inconvenience is remembering to take the pill every day. Though that could be remedied by me having the implant or patch.

Has she been on the pill before? Maybe she doesn't have any side effects either :dontknow: She could always try it and if side effects are bad after a few months (need to give it time to settle down) she could give up.
Reply 6
Hey guys! :smile:

I need some advice on LDR contraception. My ex-girlfriend, whom was from the same area as me just took a regular on-going pill, but this is very different.

We see each other, well used to, once a month. For now, it's less, but later in the year it will be once every 2 weeks or so.

So, we discussed the contraceptive pill and iirc, you can take 7-day cycle pills, right? So if every 3 weeks-month, I see her for a weekend or so, would this be a sensible idea?

Atm, we use condoms since it's like sex once every month to 6 weeks, but as it becomes more regular, and for the sakes of pleasure PLUS it's more effective, statistically, we wish to switch to the pill, or other methods.

Shall I take her to the GP or FPC and have a chat, explain the above situation and see what the doctor recommends?

My ex was on Microgynon 30 and took it everyday at the same time - so all in all, it was a very effective method of contraception. We went to the GP and sat down and had a chat, her being close to me, meant that was easy to do.

In an LDR, it's understandably harder and yeah... it's a pretty long LDR so people in LDR's who have regular sex, can you please recommend the method of contraception that you would use.

Thanks. :smile:

would she be comfortable with an implant? it's highly effective and you dont have to remember to take anything.

I'd also recommend you both get tested for STi'd and such before you stop using condoms
Reply 7
What's wrong with the pill? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by ily_em
Never really thought about it that way.

I don't get any side effects (other than clearer skin!) so it doesn't affect me really; the only (very minor) inconvenience is remembering to take the pill every day. Though that could be remedied by me having the implant or patch.

Has she been on the pill before? Maybe she doesn't have any side effects either :dontknow: She could always try it and if side effects are bad after a few months (need to give it time to settle down) she could give up.

She has never been on the pill before, so I don't know which one to put her on or which would work best. :dontknow:

I will make sure she takes it everyday - she will be 100% doomed if she becomes pregnant.

I guess GP would be the best bet? But he/she might be like wtf when we say we live 6 hours apart?
Reply 9
Original post by The_Goose
would she be comfortable with an implant? it's highly effective and you dont have to remember to take anything.

I'd also recommend you both get tested for STi'd and such before you stop using condoms

She's a virgin and I don't have any STI's, there's no point? I'll happily take it, tbh, so will she, but there's enough trust there not to bother.

And I don't know enough about the implant, and she hasn't really researched it either.

Do you have a source for it? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Blueflare
What's wrong with the pill? :s-smilie:

Nothing. But as I said in post 9:

Reply 11
She has never been on the pill before, so I don't know which one to put her on or which would work best. :dontknow:

I will make sure she takes it everyday - she will be 100% doomed if she becomes pregnant.

I guess GP would be the best bet? But he/she might be like wtf when we say we live 6 hours apart?

"I don't know which one to put her on?" erm it's not you who decides, the GP will suggest :P

I just went to the nearest GUM clinic and discussed my options. They'll give her a pack lasting 3 months (probably) to trial and after that if it doesn't go well your gf can try other pills or means of protection. Also the woman I saw never asked how often I'd be having sex but even if she did I doubt she'd care that it's very rarely. The pill doesn't just have to be for regular sex.

edit: from the way you write you seem quite controlling of your gf :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Nothing. But as I said in post 9:

Oh, right.

Well I'd say so. I personally don't just take it for contraception; it also regulates periods. I also haven't had any side effects. My bf and I were apart for 5 months and I kept taking it.
Reply 13
Original post by ily_em
"I don't know which one to put her on?" erm it's not you who decides, the GP will suggest :P

I just went to the nearest GUM clinic and discussed my options. They'll give her a pack lasting 3 months (probably) to trial and after that if it doesn't go well your gf can try other pills or means of protection. Also the woman I saw never asked how often I'd be having sex but even if she did I doubt she'd care that it's very rarely. The pill doesn't just have to be for regular sex.

edit: from the way you write you seem quite controlling of your gf :s-smilie:

Wtf? :|

She knows nothing at all about contraception so I offered to take her to the GP and help her relax, or that's what I meant.

Really have no idea of what it came across as but she has all the freedom in the world, I wouldn't say anything if she tried to control me, i'm the least 'person you described' in the world.

:lolwut:
Reply 14
Wtf? :|

She knows nothing at all about contraception so I offered to take her to the GP and help her relax, or that's what I meant.

Really have no idea of what it came across as but she has all the freedom in the world, I wouldn't say anything if she tried to control me, i'm the least 'person you described' in the world.

:lolwut:

Sorry if you're not!! It's just quotes like:

Shall I take her to the GP
I don't know which one to put her on
I will make sure she takes it everyday

Just seemed like she couldn't do anything for herself :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by ily_em
Sorry if you're not!! It's just quotes like:

Shall I take her to the GP
I don't know which one to put her on
I will make sure she takes it everyday

Just seemed like she couldn't do anything for herself :colondollar:

She's really really nervous - it being her first time!
I know more about contraception than she does.
It's really easy to forget to take a pill. :redface:

They good enough reasons for you? :tongue:
Reply 16
Wasn't this guy a chick a few days ago? :lolwut:
Reply 17
She's really really nervous - it being her first time!
I know more about contraception than she does.
It's really easy to forget to take a pill. :redface:

They good enough reasons for you? :tongue:

:P I accepted I was wrong once you replied the first time! When you read those quotes with no background can you see where I was coming from?

P.S. I'm on cilest and there's no specific time each day I have to take it (some have only a three hour window iirc). I just take it whenever I wake up so it's really easy to remember. ALSO if I miss one it doesn't matter at all, I just take one the next day (was sceptical about this but it's really clear in the instructions). So that could be a more flexible one to suggest if you're worried about her forgetting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Use the pill?
Of course everyone is different, but from my experience speaking to a lot of women while working in a pharmacy and my own experiences - Microgynon does seem to not agree with a lot of women and produce side effects. Cerazette you take every day, even during the withdrawal period so might be good if your girlfriend an be forgetful as she doesn't have to remember when to stop/start taking. I personally use Yasmin and think it's an amazing pill, never had any side effects.
Regardless of what a poster above said, you an go into a doctors and ask for a certain brand of pill - I did, no problems.
And I'd be wary of the implant, it may have been the area I was working in, but I saw an awful lot of women come in and complain the area got infected when being put in/taken out.
The coil and injection are other lesser known alternatives.

All of the above it my opinion and experiences, so bear that in mind if anyone wants to flame me!
Of course nothing can replace going in and having a chat with the GP, they are the ones with the knowledge!
Reply 19
Original post by Assandun
Use the pill?
Of course everyone is different, but from my experience speaking to a lot of women while working in a pharmacy and my own experiences - Microgynon does seem to not agree with a lot of women and produce side effects. Cerazette you take every day, even during the withdrawal period so might be good if your girlfriend an be forgetful as she doesn't have to remember when to stop/start taking. I personally use Yasmin and think it's an amazing pill, never had any side effects.
Regardless of what a poster above said, you an go into a doctors and ask for a certain brand of pill - I did, no problems.
And I'd be wary of the implant, it may have been the area I was working in, but I saw an awful lot of women come in and complain the area got infected when being put in/taken out.
The coil and injection are other lesser known alternatives.

All of the above it my opinion and experiences, so bear that in mind if anyone wants to flame me!
Of course nothing can replace going in and having a chat with the GP, they are the ones with the knowledge!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending