The Student Room Group

Girls, if you're single which one are you more likely to befriend?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizlaz350
lol, why?
If it's the whole 'you're supposed to go with the better looking one so that you have better looking kids', then that won't really be an issue when it's two girls.
Because the description are so biased in favour of girl one. For a true test, only one variable should differ between the two -- if girl one is painted as Miss Universe and girl two as an insecure slag who slits her wrists of a weekend, that's obviously going to lead people to side with girl one (unless they consciously rebel [what is known, I believe, as the Hawthorne effect], as some posters have done).

I don't really hate women though. Just the OP. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jismith1989
Because the description are so biased in favour of girl one. For a true test, only one variable should differ between the two -- if girl one is painted as Miss Universe and girl two as an insecure slag who slits her wrists of a weekend, that's obviously going to lead people to side with girl one (unless they consciously rebel, as some posters have done). :biggrin:

Ahh yes, this is very true :P
Original post by jismith1989
Because the description are so biased in favour of girl one. For a true test, only one variable should differ between the two -- if girl one is painted as Miss Universe and girl two as an insecure slag who slits her wrists of a weekend, that's obviously going to lead people to side with girl one (unless they consciously rebel, as some posters have done). :biggrin:

Still #2 =D Even more so, in fact. Who wants to be friends with a Miss Universe really? Insecure self-harming slags are MUCH more fun, I'm sure.
Reply 23
First one
Reply 24
Original post by lizlaz350
lol, why?
If it's the whole 'you're supposed to go with the better looking one so that you have better looking kids', then that won't really be an issue when it's two girls.

It's bad science because in the last sentence OP asks whether looks affect whether you want to be friends with somebody, but she's changed loads of other variables in the options (eg personality). The only thing that should be different is looks for this to be a fair test.
Reply 25
Original post by dancingshoes10
A pretty girl who boys would rate 8/10. Wears fairly expensive clothing and jewellery and takes care of her appearance. Very smiley and tries to be nice to people. Doesn't follow the stereotype of being judgemental just because she wears nice clothes. Wants to have guy friends as well as girl friends.

A not so pretty girl boys would rate 3/10. Wears average clothing and is very judgemental towards those that wear nicer clothing. Takes care of her appearance but tries particularly hard to look different. Could be argued that she even tries harder than the girl above because she is so eager not to look mainstream. More interested in making friends with girls. From the moment she saw the girl above she knew that she 'wasn't her type of person' and thus didn't bother to make friends with her.

The reason I ask if because I want to know if someone's looks affect whether you want to be friends with them? And if so in what sense? For example, would you rather be friends with the not so pretty girl so that you stand out when you're with them, or the pretty girl because she could attract guys and introduce them to you?

Obviously don't take this thread too literally, I know friendships aren't really based on this!

If you're basing things on looks, then your descriptions are completely messed up. No one would have any idea about what kind of friends someone has, whether they're try hards, etc. just by looking at them.

Based purely on looks, I'd choose both, but I'd probably be more inclined to to the second as it's more likely we have similar interests. It makes the opening conversation a bit easier. I would happy chat to the first one and get to know her, though. Whether they are ugly or beautiful doesn't really matter to me, really, when meeting new people. I'm just as likely to talk to the ugly git in the corner as the stunning blonde.
First, definitely.
I like friends with a bit of character so the 2nd one. Also hate having friends who dress good and look good coz i feel pressured. If my friends dress wierd then i also can! Also dont like boring ppl and wot does being single have 2 do with it?
First one for me. The second one doesn't seem my type at all.
Reply 29
I would go for thr first one. I don't like judgemental people.
if i had to choose id go for the first but i cant say either are the type of people i usually make friends with... its normally something in the middle... dont like some whos judgmental to the point of being nasty and vindictive but a good gossip is always welcome :smile:
Reply 31
Neither?

Also - I'll be the first to ask, it seems - what on earth does being single have to do with this? P:
Original post by awe
Neither?

Also - I'll be the first to ask, it seems - what on earth does being single have to do with this? P:

Second to ask, I already mentioned it :tongue:
What's choosing friends got to do with being/not in a relationship?
first girl :smile:
the second sounds like an absolute bitch and i'd end up punching her for getting on my nerves with her moaning
neither. i like making friends with guys cause they don't bitch or flirt with guys i like.
and even if i was going to make friends with a girl, it wouldnt be either of them.
Reply 36
Very nice and smiley always sounds like a plus but I'd probably just end up friends with the second one and end up having lots of non-mainstream fun :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Second to ask, I already mentioned it :tongue:

N'aww. I bow to you.

Quick Reply

Latest