The Student Room Group

US government jams wikileaks after secret document release

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the-observer
That the US allowed to proliferate in Iraq with their invasion and the stateless state they created.

I'll drink to that.
Reply 41
That the US allowed to proliferate in Iraq with their invasion and the stateless state they created.

Even so plenty on this forum have attempted to lay the deaths of those civilians at the direct action of US troops on the ground as opposed to general cock ups and apathy by the US administration which is much worse.
Original post by Aj12
Even so plenty on this forum have attempted to lay the deaths of those civilians at the direct action of US troops on the ground as opposed to general cock ups and apathy by the US administration which is much worse.

When the US went in to bring freedom and stability to the Iraqi people, but brought the exact opposite, that's pretty much a **** up and an epic fail by all standards.
Reply 43
When the US went in to bring freedom and stability to the Iraqi people, but brought the exact opposite, that's pretty much a **** up and an epic fail by all standards.

Not to mention there are a hell of a lot of other shady administrations and corrupt human rights violating governments out there that the US govt isn't trying to bring freedom and stability to... Hmmm... *cough* oil *cough*
Ever heard of Halliburton?
Reply 45
Original post by adam0311
Stop with the left wing banter. The truth has been known for years.

If the whole truth has been known for years then whey is the American government panicking then? Surely if they thought that the public already knew what was in these documents then they wouldn't care if they were released...
Reply 46
Original post by jimbobur
If the whole truth has been known for years then whey is the American government panicking then? Surely if they thought that the public already knew what was in these documents then they wouldn't care if they were released...

The truth that you are referring to has been let out years ago, not just through wikileaks. What the US gov't is panicking about is the intel they have on some foreign diplomats and various things they said. For example, I think they had something about a king who said "cut off the head of the snake" with regards to Iran's nuclear program. Another was that the US agreed to allow a Yemen foreign leader to claim responsibility for when they took out major terrorists within the country. Well the leader went back to parliament and the country and said that his forces did it. This isn't so much letting out the truth, as it's just hurting US foreign relations.
Reply 47
The truth that you are referring to has been let out years ago, not just through wikileaks. What the US gov't is panicking about is the intel they have on some foreign diplomats and various things they said. For example, I think they had something about a king who said "cut off the head of the snake" with regards to Iran's nuclear program. Another was that the US agreed to allow a Yemen foreign leader to claim responsibility for when they took out major terrorists within the country. Well the leader went back to parliament and the country and said that his forces did it. This isn't so much letting out the truth, as it's just hurting US foreign relations.

I am aware that the documents contain information about the Sauadi Arabian king urging the US to attack Iran. I fee that this too should be made public whether it hurts US foreign relations or not. If someone said something about you behind your back (or in this case told someone to attack you) wouldn't you rather know about it?

That attack in Yemen actually only killed civilians, what a surprise!
Reply 49
Original post by sandys1000
I agree that the most shocking thing about the leaks is that the information released isn't actually that shocking, but it's still major nonetheless. The private thoughts of senior diplomats from around the world could have major implications. The US really need to tighten up their security though - apparently 3 million people had access to this.

BBC News

You sound like you're on their side; the politicians and the masters of conflict. That or you're a typical newspaper reader...or a politician.
Original post by Martyn*
You sound like you're on their side; the politicians and the masters of conflict. That or you're a typical newspaper reader...or a politician.

In what way?
Reply 51
Original post by sandys1000
In what way?

In this way:

The US really need to tighten up their security though...

So that they can get away with their corrupt dealings now and for ever? Don't you think people have a right to know what their government is doing? Isn't it right and just that we or someone amongst us expose these masters of conflict and darkness and hold them to account, so that nothing remains secret, that everything is laid-out before the brightness of daylight, and that we can see them for what they truly are?
Original post by Martyn*
In this way:

The US really need to tighten up their security though...

So that they can get away with their corrupt dealings now and for ever? Don't you think people have a right to know what their government is doing? Isn't it right and just that we or someone amongst us expose these masters of conflict and darkness and hold them to account, so that nothing remains secret, that everything is laid-out before the brightness of daylight, and that we can see them for what they truly are?

Oh no, in general I am supportive of the leaks. I was meaning from the point of view of the US authorities; clearly they don't want things like this to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending