The Student Room Group

Harvard on BTEC

So I've wanted to apply to a US university for a while but the cost always deterred me. Then I recently looked at Harvard university and the financial aid it offers would make it a real prospect for me. Only problem is I'm doing a BTEC, which is fine for UK universities although I think Oxbridge look down on them.

I was wondering, with a predicted of DDD(3 distinctions, not D's :tongue: (around AAA for A-level equavalent) would I stand a chance at getting in? I know how I barely stand a chance (if at all) of getting into Oxbridge, not that I particularly want to go there, but would it be the same for Harvard?

Also I'm going to book my SAT test soon, because what's the harm in applying when it doesn't even take up a spot on my UCAS form. Any idea what to expect on that? Also do I need to ace it or just meet a requirement on it?

I'd really appreciate any answers :smile:
Also and general information on studying in America would be awesome, especially first-hand experience.

Thanks so much!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You probably have little or no chance
Reply 2
As far as I know, Harvard require two SAT II Test. Also, if English your native language, you can't take it SAT II Test either.
However, at the same time, you might try, since Harvard make it decisions based on their SAT tests. So, I would say, give it a go.
The chances of you being accepted for the course, are higher if you are doing smth related to Math/Chemistry/Physics/ or you are very good in either World or US history.
Here is a link you might find useful . http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/SAT%20tests%20-%20FAQ
Reply 3
Original post by JMJ19

Also I'm going to book my SAT test soon, because what's the harm in applying when it doesn't even take up a spot on my UCAS form. Any idea what to expect on that? Also do I need to ace it or just meet a requirement on it?

Also and general information on studying in America would be awesome, especially first-hand experience.

Thanks so much!

For the SAT, the higher the better. Try to get at least a 2100 (700 in each section), but scoring higher would help. You also have to take two SAT subject tests. Pick two subjects that your good at for those (and if you want to take a math subject test, you should probably take Math Section II). You have to take these during a separate sitting from the SAT. International admissions to Harvard is very competitive, so I wouldn't bet on acceptance.

You will have to submit a personal essay for the Common Application (the application that Harvard and many other schools use). Unlike a UCAS personal statement, this can be about anything. You will also have to fill out a supplement. This will ask for extra information. Harvard's supplement has a optional writing submission for this, which can be an additional essay. Make sure you look at all the application requirements ASAP so you get everything done (e.g. two teacher recommendations are required).

Undergrad education in the US is a little different than in the UK. You officially declare your major after your second year (you'll spend four years instead of three) and you will be expected to/required to take classes outside of your major.

Hope this helps.
I'm sorry to say, but you have no chance with a BTEC - to put it frankly, it is pretty much mocked that a BTEC is actually equivalent to and worth AAA at A-levels, when its simply not the case, and hence why so many of the top universities here in the UK don't even respect them.

Its the same with top US universities too (Harvard being the toughest university in the world to get into by the by) - these US universities are infinitely more competitive to get into than even the likes of Oxbridge etc and require top grades (and when I say top, I don't mean this generically, I do mean they have to be steller). A BTEC just won't be good enough on the academic front I'm sorry to say (regardless of whatever you get on the SAT, as the SAT is not the academic curriculum you are studying at school) and irregardless of what your EC's maybe. You need a minimum base in your academics, and that has to be in the form of A-levels/IB/Cambridge Pre-U exams etc.

Your best bet would be to apply to lower-ranked schools in the US (those who offer sports scholarships, as Harvard and the top Ivy's don't) if your at the top of a sport performance wise, and look to get in that way.

Best of luck.

= Yale Student (Class of '15)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Is this thread some kind of joke? Harvard with BTECs! BTECs are the same as AAA :rofl:

In fairness, I'm guessing if you get amazing grades in the SAT it would result in a slight increase in chances - but you have to appreciate that you are competing against people with both an amazing SAT and A*A*A*A* in real a-levels, people who score 40 in the IB and so on. Harvard claim to take extra-currics quite seriously - so that may increase your chances.

Out of interest why have you taken a BTEC, but want to go to Harvard?

From Harvard

There is no single academic path we expect all students to follow, but the strongest applicants take the most rigorous secondary school curriculum available to them.

We value predicted A-level and IB results along with any information that helps us form a complete picture of an applicant's academic interests and strengths. However, results from these examinations cannot substitute for our required admissions testing. All applicants must submit the results of the SAT I or ACT as well as two SAT II Subject Tests.

It doesn't take up space on UCAS - but it does cost about $50 to apply, plus the cost of SAT tests and so on.
(edited 13 years ago)
mate listen i dont know why people are putting down btecs... i chiose to do mine cos i hated doing exams although i got 4 A*s and 7 A's at gcse. i was told that i could get the same number of ucas points without having to do any exams. that what i did. i got DDD - 360 ucas points and was accepted into my choices. i had physics at durham, warwick, leeds, sussex and MIT (US). i had to do two extra exams for mit but they stil acepted me and for my college years i had to do no exams.. alot of people are jealous of the fact that i had to do no exams and had 3 month deadlines for coursework so they just badmouth btecs.
Reply 7
Better get your **** sorted quickly, the deadline's soon!
a
NO CHANCE
Well, I lolled... :dontknow:
Reply 10
Original post by manchild007
I'm sorry to say, but you have no chance with a BTEC - to put it frankly, it is pretty much mocked that a BTEC is actually equivalent to and worth AAA at A-levels, when its simply not the case, and hence why so many of the top universities here in the UK don't even respect them.

Its the same with top US universities too (Harvard being the toughest university in the world to get into by the by) - these US universities are infinitely more competitive to get into than even the likes of Oxbridge etc and require top grades (and when I say top, I don't mean this generically, I do mean they have to be steller). A BTEC just won't be good enough on the academic front I'm sorry to say (regardless of whatever you get on the SAT, as the SAT is not the academic curriculum you are studying at school) and irregardless of what your EC's maybe. You need a minimum base in your academics, and that has to be in the form of A-levels/IB/Cambridge Pre-U exams etc.

Your best bet would be to apply to lower-ranked schools in the US (those who offer sports scholarships, as Harvard and the top Ivy's don't) if your at the top of a sport performance wise, and look to get in that way.

Best of luck.

Look, not be an ******* or anything, but you come in here, smash someone's qualifications and dreams, claim to be a member of the Yale class of 2015, and then misspell stellar and fall for the your/you're conundrum? You definitely have no reason to be so high-and-mighty, and you're probably a liar.

As regards the OP, I have no idea what the BTEC is, but I do know that universities are interested in people and not just results. You appear to have achieved the highest possible marks in your chosen qualification, so you have nothing to lose by trying for an interview and proving you do or don't deserve a place at whichever uni takes your fancy. I won't say your chances are good, because the general opinion on this thread seems to be otherwise, but give it a shot, if only so you don't have to spend the rest of your life wondering "what if".
Most of the previous comments are ridiculous.

You are not doomed just because you took BTECs.

Just make sure you've got some strong hook, and strong scores, and you will be fine.
Reply 12
If you kill the SAT then I agree with ragnar, you've got a shot. A 2300+ w/ a hook and solid ec's is a decent chance in my mind. Of course not as good as A*A*A*, but still...
Reply 13

Best of luck.

Irregardless is NOT A WORD.
Yale intake must've been weak your freshman year.

Best of luck.

Most ridiculous way to get into university I have ever, ever heard. I actually cannot believe you can get into American universities based on sporting performance.

Can you seriously imagine someone getting into a decent UK uni, say Nottingham or Leicester because they can play football really, really well?! That's madness!
Original post by ilickbatteries
Most ridiculous way to get into university I have ever, ever heard. I actually cannot believe you can get into American universities based on sporting performance.

Can you seriously imagine someone getting into a decent UK uni, say Nottingham or Leicester because they can play football really, really well?! That's madness!

What do you think construction at UCL is for? :tongue:
Original post by JMJ19
So I've wanted to apply to a US university for a while but the cost always deterred me. Then I recently looked at Harvard university and the financial aid it offers would make it a real prospect for me. Only problem is I'm doing a BTEC, which is fine for UK universities although I think Oxbridge look down on them.

I was wondering, with a predicted of DDD(3 distinctions, not D's :tongue: (around AAA for A-level equavalent) would I stand a chance at getting in? I know how I barely stand a chance (if at all) of getting into Oxbridge, not that I particularly want to go there, but would it be the same for Harvard?

Thanks so much!

Haha dream on. BTECs are a pisstake. That's why universities see a D in alevel chemistry better than a distinction in a BTEC. I expect neg rep from everyone who takes BTECs but its the truth. Why do you think its mostly **** unis that accept them?
Original post by ilickbatteries

Haha I agree. It's like my chemistry teacher said, US universities are a joke. In chemistry for example in first year at uni she said they learn basic stuff that I'm learning at AS level atm.
Original post by vedderfan94
Haha I agree. It's like my chemistry teacher said, US universities are a joke. In chemistry for example in first year at uni she said they learn basic stuff that I'm learning at AS level atm.

Well, some US universities might be a joke, but some of them (for example, Brown) are horribly difficult.
Reply 19
Original post by NS17
Irregardless is NOT A WORD.
Yale intake must've been weak your freshman year.

I don't think he's at Yale. Class of 2015 wouldn't even start until next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending