The Student Room Group

please HELP the biggest idiot ever :))

so here's the thing- last year I got accepted to a good uni, because I had really good grades. I decided to study History, because to be honest I didnt know what I want to study or do after uni and I like history, so I thought a degree in History would be quite respected
After starting uni I understood that the course wasnt what I expected it to be, then I had some family problems, I stopped going to lectures, missed couple of essays and decided to change courses or even Unis. I have always been interested in PR/Events management and so on, but didnt want to study it at Uni because these subjects didnt seem worth of spending 3200 pounds a year, but after my failure in history, I changed my mind and applied to do events management in some metropolitan uni.

+
im studying what i like
its interesting
-
i ve got the grades for a better uni
for the last 6 months I had depression because of going to some metropolitan uni, which most people dont really respect
my parents are disappointed in my, they dont like the course I've chosen
the workload is **** tbh(or maybe its just the first year)

I really dont know what to do. Stick to events management, graduate with a first and find a job in a field I like?
Or re-apply AGAING this year hoping to get back to that uni where I studied last year? If not, then stick to events management anyway?

thanksss
(edited 13 years ago)
Do the course you want to do, because you want to do it.

It should have nothing to do with peer pressure or the institution.
Reply 2
Original post by marcusmerehay
Do the course you want to do, because you want to do it.

It should have nothing to do with peer pressure or the institution.

This pretty much. If you're certain this is the path/career that you want to follow - then by all means stick with it - I'm sure if you graduate with a first & worked your way up to a good paying job - your parents will get over their dissapointment - And really you're the one who will be living your life, so yes whilst it is good to take on board advice from others - in the end you have to make the decision you'll be happy with :smile:
Original post by musi
so here's the thing- last year I got accepted to a good uni, because I had really good grades. I decided to study History, because to be honest I didnt know what I want to study or do after uni and I like history, so I thought a degree in History would be quite respected
After starting uni I understood that the course wasnt what I expected it to be, then I had some family problems, I stopped going to lectures, missed couple of essays and decided to change courses or even Unis. I have always been interested in PR/Events management and so on, but didnt want to study it at Uni because these subjects didnt seem worth of spending 3200 pounds a year, but after my failure in history, I changed my mind and applied to do events management in some metropolitan uni.

+
im studying what i like
its interesting
-
for the last 6 months I had depression because of going to some metropolitan uni, which most people dont really respect

I really dont know what to do. Stick to events management, graduate with a first and find a job in a field I like?
Or re-apply AGAING this year hoping to get back to that uni where I studied last year? If not, then stick to events management anyway?

thanksss

It seems like the positives are because you enjoy it, and the negatives are what other people think of it. I know it can be hard sometimes, but you have to try and ignore what other people think; I've got the grades for a much 'better' uni and I've had (ex :wink:) friends ask me what I'm doing here ... but then, this is the best uni for me because it's the one that runs the course I like in a place I wanted to study it in.
Reply 4
Original post by musi

+
im studying what i like
its interesting
-

did not read the rest.

in essence you have 1 +, which is you like your degree. but whatever that degree, it has got to be available at a better uni. if not then why do you care about the -, you are doing the course you enjoy at the best possible uni for it.

pretty obvious to me what to do.
Reply 5
Do whatever makes you happy.
Reply 6
Stick with the course if its one you enjoy!

You could always transfer uni to continue your degree elsewhere that makes you feel more comfortable?
Reply 7
do both and consider doing history as a postgrad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending