The Student Room Group

do you open the door when at home alone?

I don't :redface: , mainly because my parents have drilled that into me since I was a small child. Most of the time I just look through the window to see who it is, if its someone I don't know I don't open it. Sometimes if I'm expecting a parcel or something I will ask through the door who it is.
Anyone else do this, or am I the only one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moanpot
I don't :redface: , mainly because my parents have drilled that into me since I was a small child. Most of the time I just look through the window to see who it is, if its someone I don't know I don't open it. Sometimes if I'm expecting a parcel or something I will ask through the door who it is.

I look through the window before answering the door :colondollar: I hate being in the house alone :redface:
Reply 2
lol, this just happened to me right now. both my parents are at work and the doorbell just rang and it was a delivery. I opened it cause my dog is here and he started barking and growling like crazy and terrified the **** out of the guy at the door haha :smile:
my rule is if it is dark outside, I don't open the door, unless I peep out the window and recognise them :tongue:
Reply 3
I do this, because I was taught the exact same thing. When I was a baby the house got burgled as my mum left the house even though there was a couple of suspicious looking people outside. It's slightly different to answering the door to them but she still made it obvious there was nobody else in.

If it's a post man or someone I know I'll answer it, but if I don't know them, not a chance.
I do....but I have a very large dog :u:.
Reply 5
What if they're selling cookies! :puppyeyes:
Reply 6
I can't be arsed to answer the door most of the time anyway.
Yes. Otherwise, how will I let my parents in?

And thus break the cycle of inaction by being further home alone.

:moon:
I live alone, so yes!
Reply 9
I do but I always have my sword with me when I open it.
As I live in an apartment I have to buzz people up anyway.

I usually open the door, though if I am not expecting anyone I'll check through the peephole.
Ofc I do.. the most scary people who've ever come to my door are Jehovah's witnesses and gypsys selling sofas.

Edit: Who negged me? A gypsy or a Jehovah?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12

Yes. But I usually take long, because it takes time to load a shotgun.
Reply 13
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
yes, because im not 12. worst thats happened so far is a couple of arabs trying to convince me to give them our old fridge we had outside lol
Reply 15
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Ofc I do.. the most scary people who've ever come to my door are Jehovah's witnesses and gypsys selling sofas.

Argh I swear I think I am cursed, they have been following me since Portugal, I feel like shooting them!! :angry::angry::angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I look through the glass of my front door or of a window to see who it is, then I open the door if they look familiar or if it's a postman/I am expecting someone. Otherwise, I'm usually busy (sleeping, babysitting or getting ready to go out), so I don't bother if I don't know them. Ha ha!

The last guy I opened the door to (who I didn't know) asked me where my father was, why he was there (?) and when he'd be back. Likewise about my mother. They didn't even introduce themselves before asking me those questions, felt a bit strange.

Before that, I opened the door to this guy and the first thing he says is, "Why are you smiling?". =( Ha ha, I felt so sad after that. He woke me up from my nap as well!! Just to give me a leaflet about something.

Then the time before that, a guy was asking if he could come into my home 'cause he had no place to go.. something about immigration, I didn't really understand. It was dark and he kept looking into my house, as if he was trying to find out how to rush in. =P I was quite scared!
I look through the peephole in the door or if I'm upstairs I look out my brother's window. But I do answer it. I've answered the door in the past when it's been gas or electric folk. Simply tell them your dad's on the phone at the moment etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by moanpot

My Edinburgh flat doesnt have a peep hole or anything so its hard to check.

I really have no problem with it though, i dont see why most people do =/...my flat mates get scared when either of them are home alone
Original post by ussumane
Argh I swear I think I am cursed, they have been following me since Portugal, I feel like shooting them!! :angry::angry::angry:

Gypsys or Jehovahs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending