The Student Room Group

Contraception with long-term LDR partner - which method shall I use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i_<3_you
She's a virgin and I don't have any STI's, there's no point? I'll happily take it, tbh, so will she, but there's enough trust there not to bother.

And I don't know enough about the implant, and she hasn't really researched it either.

Do you have a source for it? :smile:

It's better to anyway tbh - just so that if anything goes wrong there's no "well I didn't have it before" arguments.

I have this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

It's not for everyone though - it works differently to the 3 week on one week off pill (mycrogynon) as it's Progesterone only so work similar to the 'mini-pill'.

It has different effects on different people - it's completely stopped my periods - and while I think thats WONDERFUL my friend hated it because she said she didn't feel like woman any more :/
Reply 21
3 week cycle for less than 3 days sex, though?

Are the side-effects worth it?

I have never experienced side effects. I guess everyone reacts differently though but, generally, it is better for periods etc.

I've been on the pill for nearly 5 years, 2 of which I have been single for. Even if I don't have sex for a couple of months I still take it. It's not just contraception to me, it gives me control over my body which I like. Maybe your gf will feel the same way? I'd recommend it to anyone, whether they are sexually active or not.

I guess GP would be the best bet? But he/she might be like wtf when we say we live 6 hours apart?

She knows nothing at all about contraception

GPs prefer it if you actually go to them knowing a little bit about contraception and the types there are. There are loads of links on the internet to further your knowledge (mainly in reference to your girlfriend not knowing anything... it's her body and she should be informed.)

They probably won't ask you why you want to use the pill - your sex life is your sex life. You just say you would like to go on the pill, they'll ask what you know about them, ask if you're depressed, explain side effects (positive [clearer skin, regular, lighter periods] and negative [head aches etc]) and how to take it.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/contraceptivepills.htm
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Contraception/Pages/Combinedpill.aspx
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/advice/factfile_az/the_pill

Some quick links for her to look at ^

If one type of pill doesn't work for her, she can switch to another one. Thirdly, it can take time to adjust to using the pill; so if I get used to it earlier I'll not have to worry about getting used to it later, when I'm actually constantly with him. And I want it to feel really good for him :yep:

When you said LDR sex, I was thinking once a month or even a few months apart. Once every two weeks isn't that infrequent and it's definitely frequent enough to go on the pill imo :smile: I probably won't see him for a good 4-5 months from now, and on Microgynon with no side effects.
Abstinence or chastity I find works best :tea:
There are quite a few options. I suggest the Mirena coil - it stops periods usually, so she won't have to worry about that and she won't have to replace it for years :smile:
Reply 25
I'm currently on microgynon 30, and in an LDR, see my boyfriend every 2 months at the moment. I come off the pill when i know i'm not going to see him (its good to have a break and it makes me put on weight!), and then go back on a week or so before i see him, and then come off again...it gives us the protection we need and the pleasure we want, and it involves no nasty needles or anything!

Edit - also, if you only take it for say 2 weeks surrounding when your seeing each other, you can avoid the whole shorter cycle thing if that would be a problem for your gf..as long as you have been taking the pill 7 days before you have sex, you can then stop straight after - thats what i do!
(edited 13 years ago)
Injection once every three months and no periods untill you come off win win situation really.
Original post by brokenangel
Injection once every three months and no periods untill you come off win win situation really.

implant - once every 3 YEARS and no periods til you come off

win.
Original post by The_Goose

win.

:eek:
I'm getting this done.
Tomorrow.
I'm in a long term LDR and I've been on Micro 30 for like 4 years. I don't like it though, I'm really crap at taking it on time and getting prescriptions on time.

It's great that you're taking responsibility for contraception but ultimately it comes down to what your girlfriend's willing to do. I'm thinking about going on the implant but it's a big thing to do, and even the pill is quite a big deal for a girl I think. Have a talk with the GF about it.
I wouldn't personally say it's worth it for such a short amount of time (and if she's sexually inexperienced I imagine she might prefer using a condom anyway because having semen drip out of you for hours afterwards is a bit ... well. It takes some getting used to). But I say this as someone who went on one pill for a year and got massively depressed, then tried another and found my breasts were constantly really sore (and massive, which might sound good to some but I hate it), and then changed to another and it's all right. Though my boobs never went back down in size for some reason. But to me putting artificial hormones in your body is quite a big deal, both for the side effects and other reasons, so I would certainly not have wished to do it for the sake of having sex a few times a year.

This is just my opinion though - many girls have no problems with the pill. Make sure your girlfriend does her research and makes the choice for herself.
Why has no-one mentioned the IUD?? - I've got it and it was the best ****ing decision of my life.

I still get periods, yes, but at least there are no hormones involved hence why I went for this method.

Plus it only needs replacing after 7 years.

The process of getting it fitted was a little - uncomfortable, but nothing you can't cope with for 30mins.

No pill to remember, no side effects to worry about - perfect.
Original post by Stressed Chick
:eek:
I'm getting this done.
Tomorrow.

It's really not bad - they numb your arm first with a teeny tiny needle that you can't even feel then they pop it in - you have to leave it covered for about 8 hours afterwards and you might get some discomfort for 2-3 days. Then it's fab.

Just remember though that next time you need your blood pressure or anything doing to ask that they use your other arm because the pressure of the thing on it can really hurt.
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Why has no-one mentioned the IUD?? - I've got it and it was the best ****ing decision of my life.

I still get periods, yes, but at least there are no hormones involved hence why I went for this method.

Plus it only needs replacing after 7 years.

The process of getting it fitted was a little - uncomfortable, but nothing you can't cope with for 30mins.

No pill to remember, no side effects to worry about - perfect.

I couldn't possibly comment but if the choice between the implant and no periods and the IUD and periods I'd pick the implant, every time.

Besides the tiny implant in the arm is less invasive than having an IUD fitted - i know only one person with an IUD and she said getting it put it was REALLY painful and the only reason she did was because she has a terrible reaction to any hormonal treatment, otherwise she'd have gone for the implant
Nothing. But as I said in post 9:

3 week cycle for less than 3 days sex, though?

Are the side-effects worth it?

Firstly, you can run 2 packs back-to-back with no issues, so a 6 week cycle. PLUS the side effects for me are clear skin and bigger boobs. :dontknow:
Personally I see no downsides (other than having to remember to take it every day, but once you get into the habit that's no issue).
Up the butt.

But seriously, my ex was on the pill and she had really bad moodswings and depression as a result of it
Reply 36

win.

You can get periods on the implant. I have it and do. It just differs to the person. The doctor should tell you the statistics of what happens with periods before you get it. But the 99.9% effectiveness is a definite win.
Original post by becciboo
You can get periods on the implant. I have it and do. It just differs to the person. The doctor should tell you the statistics of what happens with periods before you get it. But the 99.9% effectiveness is a definite win.

I know you can get them - a lot of people don't though, everyone I've known have it doesn't get them.

Easy way to tell is to go on the mini pill for a bit - you react pretty much the same as it's the same hormone. That stopped my periods completely as well

just lucky I guess :h:
Reply 38
I know you can get them - a lot of people don't though, everyone I've known have it doesn't get them.

Easy way to tell is to go on the mini pill for a bit - you react pretty much the same as it's the same hormone. That stopped my periods completely as well

just lucky I guess :h:

Ha lucky you! I wish..... :s-smilie: My bleeding just started getting really irregular when I first got it but has settled down now. :smile:
I couldn't possibly comment but if the choice between the implant and no periods and the IUD and periods I'd pick the implant, every time.

Besides the tiny implant in the arm is less invasive than having an IUD fitted - i know only one person with an IUD and she said getting it put it was REALLY painful and the only reason she did was because she has a terrible reaction to any hormonal treatment, otherwise she'd have gone for the implant

If you think about the invasivness - then actually the IUD is much less so, because it's just a copper coil. Whereas the implant uses hormnes for the control. This is eaxactly the reason why I chose the IUD, because it ment I wasn't having something mess up my hormonal cycles up - and yes, it doesn't have all that many side effects (I mean pills and etc...) but there is still the possibility.

Also having a period every month is really reassuring, as I know for sure I'm not preggers - since nt a single method is 100%.

And, pain thresholds vary from preson to person but the fitting is definitley not painful. Uncomfortable, smewhat similar to period pain but only lasts while it's being put in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending