The Student Room Group

what do guys think of women that don't ever want children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bazoinkers
There is no insinuation. The lady was saying she didn't understand my reason for not wanting children and I clearly stated my reason.

P.S. I think I'd be the last person to try and be horrible to others on here.

Why make the comment about 'not being completely fulfilled by another person's love'? If you were just stating your reason. Either you need to write much more clearly or your are backtracking from a contentious statement.
Original post by ChemistBoy
Same difference. We have a shrinking workforce supporting a growing retired population, unless you propose euthanising old people (or just removing their pensions and letting them starve), what other solutions to this problem are there?

Of course it isn't the 'same difference'. There isn't a problem of population shrinkage. If the workforce is shrinking that can only be a good thing, since there aren't enough jobs for our workforce as it is. Since when do we need to INCREASE the workforce? Especially with the influx of immigrants (don't you read the DM?).
Reply 122
It's their choice, I wouldn't judge them. I wouldn't date a girl who didn't want kids mind you.
I suspect that the age range of TSR (late teens to early 20's as a modal value) explains why many people don't want kids on here. Students, especially female students, quite rightly see having children at their stage in life as a massive barrier to achieving what they want and so many don't want kids at all. Things change for many of these women in their mid-30's when the biological clock starts counting down with increasing urgency.
Original post by missygeorgia
Of course it isn't the 'same difference'. There isn't a problem of population shrinkage. If the workforce is shrinking that can only be a good thing, since there aren't enough jobs for our workforce as it is. Since when do we need to INCREASE the workforce? Especially with the influx of immigrants (don't you read the DM?).

Please don't conflate inter-generational issues with short-term economic issues. People having babies in 2010 are producing workers for 2030, if you can predict the economic situation at that point then you are needed in the City with great urgency. However, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to track the correlations on birth rates and longivity and the current pensions problems (that predated the current economic crisis considerably) and see that things will get worse if birth rates continue to fall.

I presume the encouragement to read the Dail Fail was a joke...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by No Man
What's wrong with a negative birth rate?

Don't you think the world is over populated?

Its more of an issue in other regions.
I really don't understand women who never want to have children...

they tend to be the ones that find their love for children when they're 60 years old :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Please don't conflate inter-generational issues with short-term economic issues. People having babies in 2010 are producing workers for 2030, if you can predict the economic situation at that point then you are needed in the City with great urgency. However, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to track the correlations on birth rates and longivity and the current pensions problems (that predated the current economic crisis considerably) and see that things will get worse if birth rates continue to fall.

I presume the encouragement to read the Dail Fail was a joke...

Yes, it was a joke.

Also a quick google search shows that the population is actually increasing. HMMMMM.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?ID=950
Not sure where you got your 'shrinking population' theory from.
Reply 128
I thought we had moved past attacking and looking down on women who don't want children. And the old "Oh, you'll change your mind!" is silly. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? .. You don't say the same to men. "Oh you'll change your mind". I don't like that attitude. Not everyone wants children, regardless of what their instincts say. We have a lot of them, and don't act on them all.

Those who want children... Super.
Those who don't... Just as great. Whatever floats your boat.

It's none of my business. And it's wrong attacking other people over it. Like "not having children" makes you some sort of a failure. That's pretty much the impression I get from some of the posts here. Alan Rickman,
Helen Mirren etc.. They don't have children, and they're are brilliant people.
(edited 13 years ago)
I suspect that the age range of TSR (late teens to early 20's as a modal value) explains why many people don't want kids on here. Students, especially female students, quite rightly see having children at their stage in life as a massive barrier to achieving what they want and so many don't want kids at all. Things change for many of these women in their mid-30's when the biological clock starts counting down with increasing urgency.

Same old story of "Oh don't worry you'll want them in the future". Yep, we'll see who's right on that. Still, you are male (not knocking you for it) so I'm not really sure how you can factually comment on a woman's biological clock and know a woman's feeligns. This may be the case for some women, but let's not bring everyone under that umbrella shall we?

About the age debate, I think saying this is somewhat silly since I was reading up on this same topic on the BBC News website and most people who comment on there are what 30-40 more or less. Most comments were for the idea of choosing to be childless, and most were women 30 - 40.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10786279
Original post by No Man
It would be a huge plus for me, because I don't want children, and I'm sterile.

Why are you sterile is that the reason you don't want kids

Like them, would like to like myself more though and dont really see myself sitting down when im 28 saying well the clocks ticking i have ambitions and of course i may change my mind but me fist
The insinuation being that people who have children do so to prop-up imperfect relationships and those that don't have perfect relationships. This is no less judgemental than the views you are railing against and no-less wrong either.

This is what immediately came into my head too when given that response... D:

Being completely fulfilled by each other and your careers. Trust me, you wouldn't need anything else. As I don't.

---

There is no insinuation. The lady was saying she didn't understand my reason for not wanting children and I clearly stated my reason.

P.S. I think I'd be the last person to try and be horrible to others on here.

I understand being completely fine with just your spouse, and I think "being content without children" is different to "not wanting children (ever - which is what it feels like when people say "I don't want kids.")"

My problem is that I don't understand what's not to want about children, not whether or not I think you should be completely devoted and satisfied by him/her for who he/she is. As in, what puts people off having children?

Out of curiosity do you not want to get married either then on the basis that you don't need anything other than just to be with him, so you don't want to get married?

Nothing like a patronising male comment on distinctly female issues. We'll probably all want to be housewives in the end too, right?
Its up to them if they want children or not. I would never marry a man who doesnt want to have children - I think i would die of sadness and depression if he didnt want to have children.I would like to have 6-7 children in the future hopefulle =) I dont think women who dosnt want children are indifferent. Its up to them . I personally know a girl who doesnt want to have children, shes 19 and she want to be sterile. Its God gift, God is giving you a precious gift - dont throw it away .
Original post by Chelle-belle
Out of curiosity do you not want to get married either then on the basis that you don't need anything other than just to be with him, so you don't want to get married?

Well, we have been together for 5 years now, we live together, I would ask myself why would we need a ceremony to validate what we already know we have i.e. love? We are Buddhists so in a way we know that we don't 'own' each other. We are already connected on deeper levels than a ceremony can. I'm not even sure something like a ceremony can connect you more, I mean what is marriage actually for?
Hopefully * :smile:
Nothing like a patronising male comment on distinctly female issues. We'll probably all want to be housewives in the end too, right?

Hahaha! Exactly my thought :biggrin:
Original post by BBYoungLady
I really don't understand women who never want to have children...

they tend to be the ones that find their love for children when they're 60 years old :/

They probably have claws where their wombs should be.
Well, we have been together for 5 years now, we live together, I would ask myself why would we need a ceremony to validate what we already know we have i.e. love? We are Buddhists so in a way we know that we don't 'own' each other. We are already connected on deeper levels than a ceremony can. I'm not even sure something like a ceremony can connect you more, I mean what is marriage actually for?

I see. Good luck with your future endeavours :yep:
a STUPID side to it.

Safe :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending