The Student Room Group

Politics v Political Science BA?

Is there a difference between these, or is it just a name? Do employers view any of these as a better degree? Considering changing my Lancaster option to Birmingham, which is political science or political science with IR.

Thanks
I did the Birmingham course - there's not really a difference. They do teach methodology but so do most other courses. The name is more a reflection of a bit of internal argument over whether politics is a science or an art - and that debate does permeate the course from a pedagogical perspective but doesn't really affect the kind of material taught.
Reply 2
Original post by IlexAquifolium
I did the Birmingham course - there's not really a difference. They do teach methodology but so do most other courses. The name is more a reflection of a bit of internal argument over whether politics is a science or an art - and that debate does permeate the course from a pedagogical perspective but doesn't really affect the kind of material taught.

Oh, nice to hear from a Birmingham graduate. Thanks for the info! Did you enjoy the course overall?
Original post by impossible!
Oh, nice to hear from a Birmingham graduate. Thanks for the info! Did you enjoy the course overall?

Yes, for sure. It can be quite tough going because they're very prescriptive (you have 12 hours tuition a week and the first year is all compulsories, which is a lot more than at my current university on both counts) but although it meant slogging through some modules I didn't enjoy I was grateful that I was being forced to learn about every facet of the discipline. I loved the university and the teaching was pretty great on the whole. That said I would pick Brum or Lancaster on the basis of which you prefer (and the course content) rather than the course title or what have you. They're both great :smile:
Reply 4
Yes, for sure. It can be quite tough going because they're very prescriptive (you have 12 hours tuition a week and the first year is all compulsories, which is a lot more than at my current university on both counts) but although it meant slogging through some modules I didn't enjoy I was grateful that I was being forced to learn about every facet of the discipline. I loved the university and the teaching was pretty great on the whole. That said I would pick Brum or Lancaster on the basis of which you prefer (and the course content) rather than the course title or what have you. They're both great :smile:

Ah I wouldnt mind the hours, im doing Economics at the moment and have 12 or 17 compulsory hours, alternating each fortnight. :s-smilie: Ive never visited Birmingham but will have to have a look. Im changing Lancs for sure though, not keen on the course itself.
Thanks for your help! :smile:
Original post by impossible!
Ah I wouldnt mind the hours, im doing Economics at the moment and have 12 or 17 compulsory hours, alternating each fortnight. :s-smilie: Ive never visited Birmingham but will have to have a look. Im changing Lancs for sure though, not keen on the course itself.
Thanks for your help! :smile:

Yeah, politics courses are generally pretty clear-cut in comparison to economics timetables! The Birmingham course is, like I say, very broad but also quite analytical in comparison to some I've seen. It's less about picking modules that seem fun than learning about the discpline itself. I really enjoyed it, for sure. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

PS - this may sound incredibly stupid, but is that a shiba in your avatar?
Reply 6
Yeah, politics courses are generally pretty clear-cut in comparison to economics timetables! The Birmingham course is, like I say, very broad but also quite analytical in comparison to some I've seen. It's less about picking modules that seem fun than learning about the discpline itself. I really enjoyed it, for sure. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

PS - this may sound incredibly stupid, but is that a shiba in your avatar?

It is a shiba, yeah. Haha, it's out of a DS game I love.:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending