The Student Room Group

How valid is a British university degree in America?

I am thinking of doing my university degree in England and then going over to America to find work. Hoping to do a degree in Aeronautical Engineering ( from a top uni like Bristol).. will it be acknowledged in America? I heard that they don't hire you in America so was just wondering.

PS - i do NOT live in England but i am planning to go there because a) its cheaper 2) most of my best mates are there :biggrin:

Thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)
They'll probably make you do one of their courses before you can work there, you know what they're like, have to Americanise everything that's brought into America.
Reply 2
Original post by pippa90
They'll probably make you do one of their courses before you can work there, you know what they're like, have to Americanise everything that's brought into America.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by the "courses". Well, i never did SATs but recently did the TOEFL exam (iBT) and got pretty good scores. Till date, i have 9 O level subjects and 2 A level to my credit and a semester in a uni ( I am up for an A :biggrin: )

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin:
Reply 3
anyone else please?
Reply 4
Just good luck with getting your visas and everything sorted, I'd love to move to the USA but immigration is so tight over there.
Reply 5
My brother lives there, he says they don't value the 3 year degrees that much (unless it is a top university that they will have heard of over there), you'd be better off doing a 4 year course in Scotland as apparantly that is more the norm there.
Reply 6
Just don't get sick that's all I can say!
Original post by Ms_Flames
I'm sorry but what do you mean by the "courses". Well, i never did SATs but recently did the TOEFL exam (iBT) and got pretty good scores. Till date, i have 9 O level subjects and 2 A level to my credit and a semester in a uni ( I am up for an A :biggrin: )

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin:

They may ask you do to a little bit of extra work to be accredited with the American version of your qualification which is to do with the job you apply for.
Reply 8
If you don't attend Oxbridge or LSE it is harder to compete for good jobs in USA as they are mostly ignorant and disparaging of anything not American especially in education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending