The Student Room Group

what do guys think of women that don't ever want children

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
why would you want to reproduce? population is way too high. females that don't want to are awesome.
Well, personally I can't see myself wanting children..I definately know I don't want them at the moment. I love children but they are so fragile, sometimes I feel if you look at one hard enough they'll break. I'm not saying this'll never change, maybe at some point I'll feel confident enough in my parenting abilities to have children.

I believe the choice whether or not to have children has to be a personal one. You shouldn't be forced or pressured into a decision (either way) by your partner or society, and definately not some random strangers on TSR!
Original post by missygeorgia
So I have a question- out of all you heroes who are like 'no I want kids' or 'no she must be an unnatural witch', how many of you are willing to be stay at home dads, at least til your kids go to school? Or work part time until your kids are grown up?

Yeah, thought so.

erm I would. Part-time sure, it would be great to spend a lot of time with a child. I have nothing wrong with that.

What I do have a problem with however, is why all the females who don't want kids are attacking the men who do want kids. If a man wants children, and a woman doesn't how is it wrong for the man to decide to leave? I'm sure if it was the other way around most of you would be spewing hydrocholoric acid across the thread.

Oh, you're doing it already, my bad.
Reply 163
Relationship wise, no use to me (not that I want children anytime soon).
Original post by HumanNature1992
Hmm well saying something as degrading as "I pity your future children" isnt something one would take lightly...

So you think people who have children aren't capable of having a loving relationship? O_o

Hmm, you seem like a very bitter and cynical person...

What people are I think trying to say is that having children purely on the assumption that they'll look after you in you old age is wrong, because there's no guarantee that they will. People should only have children if they really want them, to do otherwise is imo selfish.
Very strange. Most women want kids, its just natural.
Reply 166
Original post by bazoinkers
Same old story of "Oh don't worry you'll want them in the future". Yep, we'll see who's right on that. Still, you are male (not knocking you for it) so I'm not really sure how you can factually comment on a woman's biological clock and know a woman's feeligns. This may be the case for some women, but let's not bring everyone under that umbrella shall we?

About the age debate, I think saying this is somewhat silly since I was reading up on this same topic on the BBC News website and most people who comment on there are what 30-40 more or less. Most comments were for the idea of choosing to be childless, and most were women 30 - 40.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10786279

A comment I found interesting under that article:

"It's interesting that nobody's asking why motherhood seems so unattractive to certain women in this day and age. Perhaps it's the lack of status that comes with it and the lack of real choices - usually full-time work and exhorbitant child care or stay at home dependency/poverty. Concerning career, most employers prefer to pay lip service to family friendly policies and flexible working hours. Perhaps it's the fact that that most women who choose to have children will see a sharp dip in their earnings from pregnancy onward. Women who've made the choice not to have children are choosing not to become the second class citizens society usually deems them once they procreate. The choice is a social rather than a biological one."

Women get scorned for choosing to have children because it's bad for their employers/colleagues and therefore "selfish" - but if they decide not to have children it is also considered selfish. We can't win.
Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC
I couldn't be in a serious relationship/get married to someone who didn't.

Also, I think the dumbest reason to not have kids are people saying things like: "I'm messed up/I've got metal/physical problems and I don't want to pass it on to my kids - it's not fair." Fact of the matter is that every family will have some sort of heart condition or is prone to cancer or some other problem mental/physical problem, and to base a massive life choice on something so stupid is ridiculous.

Yes every family may have issues but do you not think it is selfish to still bring children into the world simply because you want to, regardless of what you may or may not be passing on to them?

I don't think it's stupid at all; I know what I faced as a child and I never want to be responsible for another human being going through the same thing - is that really so ridiculous? I don't want to have children for many reasons but one of them is that I don't want to bring children into this world when there is absolutely no way I could ever guarantee that they will be safe, happy, healthy etc and to me that's selfish. If I ever did want children I would adopt - there are already so many children who are suffering and in need of a home in the world and I'd rather raise them then bring yet another baby - who never asked to be born - into the world simply because, I don't know, I got broody, or wanted to leave my mark on the world, or someone to look after me when I'm old or something.

Please note - because TSR always seems to get me involved in cyber-fights I never meant to start - I'm not trying to insult you nor your desire to have kids. I respect everyone's decision to want children, just trying to show why it's not necessarily ridiculous to decide not to want them for the reasons you mentioned.
I like babies, I just couldnt eat a whole one. :biggrin:
I dont care whether a woman wants to have a child or not, its their choice to not have one just as its their choice to have one. However I would like some little lewrolls running around in the future.
Reply 169
Original post by Blueflare
Okay, I find the posts on this thread kind of alarming. :lolwut: If they're actually serious that is...

I guess I'm fortunate to have a bf who doesn't want kids either, albeit for different reasons from mine.

I though exactly the same lol... I get people saying they would like to have kids so it wouldn't work, but why are there so many assuming that just because you don't want to have your own kids you hate children lol?

I don't think I want to have kids, at least not my own, not certain by any means though. But I want to be a Primary school teacher, and I love kids. It's just that I'm not sure I want to have my own.
Original post by Stressed Chick
Yes every family may have issues but do you not think it is selfish to still bring children into the world simply because you want to, regardless of what you may or may not be passing on to them?

I don't think it's stupid at all; I know what I faced as a child and I never want to be responsible for another human being going through the same thing - is that really so ridiculous? I don't want to have children for many reasons but one of them is that I don't want to bring children into this world when there is absolutely no way I could ever guarantee that they will be safe, happy, healthy etc and to me that's selfish. If I ever did want children I would adopt - there are already so many children who are suffering and in need of a home in the world and I'd rather raise them then bring yet another baby - who never asked to be born - into the world simply because, I don't know, I got broody, or wanted to leave my mark on the world, or someone to look after me when I'm old or something.

Please note - because TSR always seems to get me involved in cyber-fights I never meant to start - I'm not trying to insult you nor your desire to have kids. I respect everyone's decision to want children, just trying to show why it's not necessarily ridiculous to decide not to want them for the reasons you mentioned.

i agree - i think the guy you quoted is ignorant of some peoples situations to post something as thoughtless as that.
It wouldn't bother me. There's far too much pop psychology in here too, you cannot judge someone's entire personality on the basis that they don't want kids. Plenty of really horrible people have children.
Reply 172
I don't think it;s weird not to want to have children (i'm female) I am often unsure whether I want them or not, what I do know is I want to have lived my life before I have one tying me down and I want a successful career first and any guy that dont understand that isnt worth my time to be honest. You should be happy with your decision as haveing a child is your choice dont let people judge you on it :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
just curious

do you find that sort of mentality attractive? or crude? or indifferent?
and could you explain why?

thanks

If they do not want kids because they want to spend all their money on themselves and ensure a successful career then that is abit sick.

If they don't want kids for good reasons then that is fine. Maybe they think they will be nasty parents?

Why don't you want kids op?
I don't want to have kids so this type of woman suits me perfectly. You can just have sex all the time and live a nice life.
PS.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28689566&highlight=uk%20nuclear%20powe

spare 10 sec of you life and make a vote! For and Against Nuclear Power in UK. :cool:

Not marriage material, it's a deal breaker.
Original post by Jelkin

Women get scorned for choosing to have children because it's bad for their employers/colleagues and therefore "selfish" - but if they decide not to have children it is also considered selfish. We can't win.

The problem is that we live in a society where it very rarely makes financial sense for a man to take on the majority of childcare duties in the first year of a child's life - we don't get the same state support. This forces most couples to have the mother stay at home and the father work, unless the earning differential is significant. This reinforces a patriarchal attitude in the workplace that enhances wider social beliefs on the role of men and women in childcare.
Children are a blessing and If a person is ready for having children i.e. have a serious relationship etc...then children would be great :smile:

Imagine when your old, you look back and see all the other people bringing up their children and now have them in their lives at their later age as someone who comforts them and takescare of them in which ever way they can would you not feel a sense of loss? your immediate family- your children will look out for you like no other person its the parental bond with children you would have missed out on:s-smilie:

plus people that do not want children see their lifestyle (partying, big holidays etc) jeoprodised however that will not last and with age you are going to change so the real things in life like children will matter at one point :redface:

Their choice tbh, however, at this age, that's what I expect most females to say. It's a good thing that they're not wanting children aged 19, and by the time they're 25, this may well change.
Original post by Anonymous
just curious

do you find that sort of mentality attractive? or crude? or indifferent?
and could you explain why?

thanks

If I was in relationship with the woman who doesn't and she tells me , then the relationship would probably end soon after. I know some women who don't and that is fine, I would count them as odd, but as long as I don't end up marrying them then alright.

Quick Reply

Latest