The Student Room Group

Should I ask to sit D1 over S1?

Hi next year I'm hoping to study computer science of games development in uni

In my school, we sit C1, C2 and M1 at AS and C3, C4 and S1 at A2. We don't begin S1 until after C3 in January.
I found out about D1 only through seeing it listed in related resources etc in text books and mentioned here at TSR. D1 isn't taught at my school but I'm wondering if it would be worth my while studying it myself with or instead of S1.

I studied GCSE Statistics and have an A in it as well as additional maths that had some stats content aswell. Its up for debate on how much stats I remember from GCSE as I sat my statistics in 4th year back in 2007 lol but on paper all that matters is that I have a stats qualification anyway.

So further reading revealed to me that D1 could be a lot more useful for my career as a computer scientist due to the content. I've read mixed opinions too on its difficulty. I've seen people say that its a bit of a doss but also that people have ended up getting unexpectedly low marks in the exam. I'm not sure what to think.

So do you think it would be a good idea for me to inquire about this to my tutor? I will more than likely have to teach myself the module.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I hated it but others found it easy. Really depends, if you want to do CS at uni I guess you would suit it though.
Reply 2
Well I suppose it couldn't be much worse than statistics really. Stat maths is very tedious lol in my opinion lol
Decision is the worst module ever, you'll probably do better in Stats because it's slightly more challenging. What they teach you in D1 is pretty useless (have you researched the content? look up the reverse first fit bin packing algorithm) and if you did need it for uni, they could probably teach you the module within an hour. When applying they don't see which modules you did anyway so you'll look equal to other applicants who did Decision.
Original post by Souba
Hi next year I'm hoping to study computer science of games development in uni

In my school, we sit C1, C2 and M1 at AS and C3, C4 and S1 at A2. We don't begin S1 until after C3 in January.
I found out about D1 only through seeing it listed in related resources etc in text books and mentioned here at TSR. D1 isn't taught at my school but I'm wondering if it would be worth my while studying it myself with or instead of S1.

I studied GCSE Statistics and have an A in it as well as additional maths that had some stats content aswell. Its up for debate on how much stats I remember from GCSE as I sat my statistics in 4th year back in 2007 lol but on paper all that matters is that I have a stats qualification anyway.

So further reading revealed to me that D1 could be a lot more useful for my career as a computer scientist due to the content. I've read mixed opinions too on its difficulty. I've seen people say that its a bit of a doss but also that people have ended up getting unexpectedly low marks in the exam. I'm not sure what to think.

So do you think it would be a good idea for me to inquire about this to my tutor? I will more than likely have to teach myself the module.

Thanks in advance

I'd say S1 is more useful if you want an easy grade but D1 is more useful if you're wanting to go into computer science. If you're going to be teaching D1 yourself, I wouldn't really reccommend it to be honest. You'd be better off getting for example an A by doing really well in S1 (which isn't too different from GCSE Stats, trust me, I know).

I sucked at D1 but I did WAAAY better in S1, if you want details on my UMS marks, PM me, there is quite a shocking difference actually :s-smilie:

Most universities assume you don't have a lot of computing knowledge beforehand so they won't treat you unfairly if you haven't done D1. They want a good grade in maths and a mathematical and logical thinker.
Reply 5
Original post by nikita_atikin
I'd say S1 is more useful if you want an easy grade but D1 is more useful if you're wanting to go into computer science. If you're going to be teaching D1 yourself, I wouldn't really reccommend it to be honest. You'd be better off getting for example an A by doing really well in S1 (which isn't too different from GCSE Stats, trust me, I know).

I sucked at D1 but I did WAAAY better in S1, if you want details on my UMS marks, PM me, there is quite a shocking difference actually :s-smilie:

Most universities assume you don't have a lot of computing knowledge beforehand so they won't treat you unfairly if you haven't done D1. They want a good grade in maths and a mathematical and logical thinker.

Yea I was really just considering this with the idea in mind of me going into uni next year familiar with some of the maths. So you'd say D1 is difficult? I've got the impression people seem to have a natural affinity for one or the other as opinions are mixed. Have no idea which one suits me though :s-smilie: lol
I'd stick with stats, as boring as it is. I did both S1 and D1 and, even though I preferred D1 (only just), I did better at S1. Just stick with S1, it's a lot less hassle and you're likely to get a better grade in it, generally.
Man up and do both. But if you think D1 would be more relevant, go for that. Though a single Alevel module really won't make much difference in the long run, so don't fret.
Original post by Souba
Yea I was really just considering this with the idea in mind of me going into uni next year familiar with some of the maths. So you'd say D1 is difficult? I've got the impression people seem to have a natural affinity for one or the other as opinions are mixed. Have no idea which one suits me though :s-smilie: lol

You'll find that D1 is a VERY scaled down version of what computer science is all about, so I am not sure how useful it would really be. In fact, further maths is more useful and further maths would benefit you way more than D1. Your priority (I would say) is getting a good grade in maths. D1 is an affinity subject but you can most definitely teach/make yourself understand S1 better.
the subject matter in d1 isn't difficult at all. but you have a lot more to remember than you do in stats.
Reply 10
Perhaps the best thing might be to take S1 as normal so I'll probably get a better overall grade. Then just familiarise myself with some decision maths for personal reading as opposed to taking a formal examination.

I'm quite safe atm in my UMS marks, so I'd really like to focus on getting 90%+ on C3 & C4 to try and get my A* if possible. Wouldn't get my hopes up but it'd be nice. So if stats helps in that respect maybe I'd best stick to that.
Reply 11
From personal experience i found S1 pretty straightforward, if a little tedious. It was by far my strongest module.

Can't comment on D1 though unfortunately.
Reply 12
Original post by Souba

Original post by Souba
Perhaps the best thing might be to take S1 as normal so I'll probably get a better overall grade. Then just familiarise myself with some decision maths for personal reading as opposed to taking a formal examination.

I'm quite safe atm in my UMS marks, so I'd really like to focus on getting 90%+ on C3 & C4 to try and get my A* if possible. Wouldn't get my hopes up but it'd be nice. So if stats helps in that respect maybe I'd best stick to that.

That sounds like a sensible plan.
Reply 13
I'm also someone looking to do computer science in the future and am doing D1 (and D2 in future) for the same reasons :smile:
However the thing with D1 is, a lot of it is watered down which is a shame because when you go a little bit deeper I think it is really interesting.
At the end of the day, if you're looking to do computer science and possibly don't mind doing a bit of further reading I think D1 could be interesting for you (a lot more than I think S1 would be - I say this as I find S1 tedious and think we may have similar interests in this respect but I could be completely wrong and you may love stats!). D1 is certainly my favourite module (along with M1)
To finish off, it's you should do what you enjoy. Have a look at both of them and pick what you like best. Don't let anybody tell you what module to choose.

Best of luck for the future :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ElMoro
I'm also someone looking to do computer science in the future and am doing D1 (and D2 in future) for the same reasons :smile:
However the thing with D1 is, a lot of it is watered down which is a shame because when you go a little bit deeper I think it is really interesting.
At the end of the day, if you're looking to do computer science and possibly don't mind doing a bit of further reading I think D1 could be interesting for you (a lot more than I think S1 would be - I say this as I find S1 tedious and think we may have similar interests in this respect but I could be completely wrong and you may love stats!). It is certainly my favourite module (along with M1)
To finish off, it's you should do what you enjoy. Have a look at both of them and pick what you like best. Don't let anybody tell you what module to choose.

Best of luck for the future :wink:

Mechanics is one of my favourite areas of maths too I think its brilliant!:biggrin:

I'm going to ask my tutor for her opinions on all of this aswell

and thanks for the advice guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending