The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

So apparently I'm not Warwick University material!

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What were your grades at A level and your degree classification?
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Well you haven't stated your grades, or what university you graduated from, and what class of degree you graduated with. They might have something to do with it?
Reply 3

What did you get in your degree? :holmes:
Original post by Leoleanne

200+ hours independent teaching of drama,
100+ hours independent teaching of English,
A-levels in English Language
A-levels in Drama
A-levels in Performing Arts
A degree in Drama
Numerous enrichment activities related to the dramatic arts
3 Years working full time in a secondary school
And an obvious passion for teaching/learning

Not to mention tremendous modesty...

Yeah. A-levels? Degree grade? Or maybe your "obvious passion" doesn't come across quite as obviously as you think it does.
Reply 5
(edited 13 years ago)
Degree grade?

Also, I doubt your A levels can actually be counted as 3 A levels, they are very simular.

Maybe other people were just better?
Reply 7
Maybe so, thanks for the helpful tips!
An academic institution making decisions based on academic performance? Who'd've thought it
Reply 9
"Who'd've though it'?'"
Reply 10
thought*
Maybe they just had better applicants? Though judging by your reaction I think they made the right choice.
Entry requirements stipulate the minimum qualifications a candidate should have acquired. Just because you satisfy these (barely!), does not guarantee you a place. Cambridge has entry requirements of A*AA+ but countless applicants with those grades are turned away. Competition for university places is fierce. Clearly there were stronger candidates than you.
"Who'd've though it'?'"

yeah who'd've

who would have, look it up teacher wannabee
Reply 14
Maybe so, thanks for the helpful tips!

Warwicks a top uni. There's going to be a lot of competition and your going to be competing against people with top grades and some experience too (aka, part time jobs during the summer, every year for a few years would amount to a decent amount).

Maybe email them/write a letter asking for a chance, expressing how much you want to go. I know peoples who've done that and gotten into Uni's they were previously declined.
If you're still wondering, why don't you contact them and ask?
Reply 16
You should be celebrating. Warrick is horrible.
Reply 17
Grades at A-level were all Cs and at degree level 2:2, which is the correct entry requirements for this University and the course I was applying for, if this is inadequate, maybe they should change their entry requirements and I wouldn't waste my time in the future.

I know my grades aren't top level but that does not mean to say that I am poor at teaching. I have a job in teaching, if I weren't doing the job correctly, I'm assuming disciplinary procedures would have been taken.

It just seems unfair if solely grades are being taken into consideration rather than experience. Just because somebody came straight out of University at 21 years old with a first degree and had one week observing in a classroom does not mean to say that they can successfully deliver and facilitate lesson! I know I can do that so why aren't Warwick giving me a chance?:frown:

I agree with your last paragraph but sadly PGCEs are very competitive and therefore many unis will use grades as a cut off for their degree, have you applied to any other unis for it? I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in with all the experience you have but sometimes it happens. Warwick is a very competitive uni for undergrad and no doubt more so for postgrad. A PGCE is standardised for the most part and therefore wherever you go you'll end up becoming a teacher if you pass which is ultimately the goal.
Reply 18
Sooo are you applying for a degree in drama on top of the drama degree you already have?
I don't understand what you're applying for, I'm a bit slow tonight.
Reply 19
gutted.

Quick Reply

Latest