The Student Room Group

Importance of league tables?

Hello, I'm still going through process of applying to university and I'm wondering how much of a factor, if a factor at all, league tables (both overall and subject specific) should be? I'd like to be going to a reputable uni in general but it'd be a plus if the uni had a good reputation for my course (Psychology) so are league tables a good measure of this and which league table is best? Alternatively, is it better looking at them all and trying to identify trends?

If league tables are a waste of time (as I have heard) how can I try and judge a uni's reputation both as a whole and subject specific, obv Oxbridge has the best reputation but slightly lower down the spectrum?

Thank you :biggrin:
League tables aren't really a good measure - you can identify roughly where unis fall, but they vary wildly between years, and take factors that won't matter to you into consideration.

Best way to judge reputation is to research what people in the industry think of it.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
League tables aren't really a good measure - you can identify roughly where unis fall, but they vary wildly between years, and take factors that won't matter to you into consideration.

Best way to judge reputation is to research what people in the industry think of it.

Thanks, how do I manage to find out what people in the industry think though?
Reply 3
A lot of blue chip recruiters still place value on where you studied irrespective of whether the course ranks highly or not.
Reply 4
I think subject tables may give you a better idea, Id see little point in going to the "third best uni" if it was 100th for your subject!
Reply 5
I guess they give you some kind of idea of a Universities reputation.

But, as i've discovered, if you're an Art & Design student, they're a load of rubbish. As they massively favour the more academic Uni's, a lot of the best Art & Design Universities are 40/50th+, despite the fact some of them are recognised worldwide as some of the best.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies, i'm having problems applying because I'm not too picky about what location I end up in but, as probably everyone does, I want to go to a uni with a good reputation so I am more desirable for potential employers and this is where I'm having issues.
Reply 7
Original post by Limeey
Thanks for the replies, i'm having problems applying because I'm not too picky about what location I end up in but, as probably everyone does, I want to go to a uni with a good reputation so I am more desirable for potential employers and this is where I'm having issues.

I think the top 30-40 are all fine in terms of graduate prospects.
Original post by Limeey
I want to go to a uni with a good reputation so I am more desirable for potential employers and this is where I'm having issues.

As long as you go to a half decent university, it's about you as an individual and your achievements which make you employable.

Also remember that regarding employability, more importance is placed on your degree than your institution. For example, a mathematics degree from Portsmouth would be considered more desirable than a sociology degree from Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending