The Student Room Group

what do guys think of women that don't ever want children

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
personally i want children. each to there own though.
I don't want children, I don't like them :s-smilie:. I am not maternal in the slightest, and I only have love for my neices and nephew, no other child!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 182
just for the record, i do want children

the reason i posted this thread was because up until recently, i was convinced that i would never have children, i didn't even care if i was infertile :|

i am you could say 'career driven' and i want to do a lot of things before i settle down, but i do want children in my life someday :smile:

and thanks for all the posts, they're really interesting :smile:
Original post by Crazy Paving

Original post by Crazy Paving
Their choice tbh, however, at this age, that's what I expect most females to say. It's a good thing that they're not wanting children aged 19, and by the time they're 25, this may well change.

This. I've heard countless young women say they don't want kids but realistically how many 50 year olds do you know who don't have any? There's this common event among women who are adamant that they don't want kids that when they reach their middle-ages e.g. 40, they develop 'eleventh hour syndrome' where they realise this is the last possible time they can have a child so they go crazy and do anything in order to get pregnant, even if they're not in a proper relationship.
Women who don't want children are my favourite type of women.

I can't stand children personally, nor am I in any way interested in the significant investment of time, effort and money that it takes to raise them. So yes, I am selfish and I don't care, whatcha gonna do 'bout it?
Original post by Stressed Chick
Yes every family may have issues but do you not think it is selfish to still bring children into the world simply because you want to, regardless of what you may or may not be passing on to them?

I don't think it's stupid at all; I know what I faced as a child and I never want to be responsible for another human being going through the same thing - is that really so ridiculous? I don't want to have children for many reasons but one of them is that I don't want to bring children into this world when there is absolutely no way I could ever guarantee that they will be safe, happy, healthy etc and to me that's selfish. If I ever did want children I would adopt - there are already so many children who are suffering and in need of a home in the world and I'd rather raise them then bring yet another baby - who never asked to be born - into the world simply because, I don't know, I got broody, or wanted to leave my mark on the world, or someone to look after me when I'm old or something.

Please note - because TSR always seems to get me involved in cyber-fights I never meant to start - I'm not trying to insult you nor your desire to have kids. I respect everyone's decision to want children, just trying to show why it's not necessarily ridiculous to decide not to want them for the reasons you mentioned.

The point I was [poorly] suggesting is that you can never guarantee the safety, health and happiness of your unborn child/children - it's a risk people have to take if they want children, and I just don't think it should be used as a justification for not having them.
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary

What I do have a problem with however, is why all the females who don't want kids are attacking the men who do want kids.

Its not the fact that they want children that's the problem, it's the fact that they're calling women who don't want children things like 'odd', 'unnatural', selfish' 'unattractive', 'cold', and 'what would she be good for?' The fact that we're being made out to be bad, selfish people just because we don't want children. Hardly surprising that some girls on here have been reacting to all the comments in an annoyed manner.
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
erm I would. Part-time sure, it would be great to spend a lot of time with a child. I have nothing wrong with that.

What I do have a problem with however, is why all the females who don't want kids are attacking the men who do want kids. If a man wants children, and a woman doesn't how is it wrong for the man to decide to leave? I'm sure if it was the other way around most of you would be spewing hydrocholoric acid across the thread.

Oh, you're doing it already, my bad.

Good for you. My boyfriend says the same- that he would love to bring up our future children and let me have a career. But unfortunately you guys are in the minority.

The reason why I have little time for men who demand that their partners bear them children is that women are so much more affected by having children than men are. In the majority of cases having children just won't affect a man's life in the way it affects a woman's life- and to ask for a woman to have children with you is a BIG ask. That's why the men in this thread are irritating- because of their expectant, demanding attitudes to women regarding kids.

Obviously, I don't have a problem with a man wanting children, for it to be his prerogative, for it to be a dealbreaker for him. What I have a problem with is the way so many men feel like they're entitled to have their wife/girlfriend bear them children, bring them up, give up their bodies and their careers for them, when men generally have little to do with raising the kids. I feel a bit like, "well, yeah, it's easy for you to say you demand children, isn't it".
I don't think I'll want any either, so no problem.
Original post by CombineHarvester
This. I've heard countless young women say they don't want kids but realistically how many 50 year olds do you know who don't have any? There's this common event among women who are adamant that they don't want kids that when they reach their middle-ages e.g. 40, they develop 'eleventh hour syndrome' where they realise this is the last possible time they can have a child so they go crazy and do anything in order to get pregnant, even if they're not in a proper relationship.

Ignoring the casual misogyny here, how many 50 year olds do you know who aren't your parents or your friends parents? The reason you don't know many 50 year olds without kids is because there's no reason for you to know them.
Reply 190
Original post by ChemistBoy
The problem is that we live in a society where it very rarely makes financial sense for a man to take on the majority of childcare duties in the first year of a child's life - we don't get the same state support. This forces most couples to have the mother stay at home and the father work, unless the earning differential is significant. This reinforces a patriarchal attitude in the workplace that enhances wider social beliefs on the role of men and women in childcare.

Yeah, I think it's terrible that that is the case. The parental leave system should be more like it is in Sweden (even if it's not as generous!), as this would benefit mothers and fathers and even childless women who would be less likely to get discriminated against in the workplace.

It's still terrible that people resent working women who have kids and then turn around and deride those who choose not to become mothers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Nothing like letting the sexism card getting in the way of reality or biology in this case.

I didn't say you were being sexist, I said you were being patronising. Which you are, incredibly so.

To be honest, the fact that you associate child-bearing with the female role in classical partriarchy says much more about your prejudices than mine.

..Of course it doesn't. The fact is, as someone pertinently pointed out earlier, our society simply doesn't value mothers and it doesn't value housewives. That's not 'my' association.
Original post by missygeorgia

Ignoring the casual misogyny here, how many 50 year olds do you know who aren't your parents or your friends parents? The reason you don't know many 50 year olds without kids is because there's no reason for you to know them.

I know plenty of men who are in their 50s and have no children or knowledge/responsibility of a child. I know younger men and women often state that they don't want children but it seems to be only the men who actually stick by this promise in most cases.
I can't picture myself having lived all my life without having children, it would just be a shame and quite worthless imo. That's not to say anyone who doesn't want children is unnatural or weird, because it's very likely they'll change their mind as most women do, I know I did.
I know plenty of men who are in their 50s and have no children or knowledge/responsibility of a child. I know younger men and women often state that they don't want children but it seems to be only the men who actually stick by this promise in most cases.

Read what you wrote again and think about HOW LITTLE THAT MAKES SENSE.

For every woman that has a child, that child has a father. For every mother there is a father. So how on earth can you suggest that there are tons more mothers than fathers?

Read what you wrote again and think about HOW LITTLE THAT MAKES SENSE.

For every woman that has a child, that child has a father. For every mother there is a father. So how on earth can you suggest that there are tons more mothers than fathers?

Like I said, men can be fathers without knowing it. It's impossible for that to be the case with a woman. Read the first sentence again. One man can impregnate several women.
Like I said, men can be fathers without knowing it. It's impossible for that to be the case with a woman.

Do you seriously think this alone has caused there to be a huge amount- so much that you've noticed it- more mothers than (knowing) fathers? Are you seriously saying there are so many men who don't know they have kids that you can actually notice the discrepancy between the number of mothers and fathers in the country?

One man can impregnate several women.

And one woman can have kids by several men.
Good for you. My boyfriend says the same- that he would love to bring up our future children and let me have a career. But unfortunately you guys are in the minority.

The reason why I have little time for men who demand that their partners bear them children is that women are so much more affected by having children than men are. In the majority of cases having children just won't affect a man's life in the way it affects a woman's life- and to ask for a woman to have children with you is a BIG ask. That's why the men in this thread are irritating- because of their expectant, demanding attitudes to women regarding kids.

Obviously, I don't have a problem with a man wanting children, for it to be his prerogative, for it to be a dealbreaker for him. What I have a problem with is the way so many men feel like they're entitled to have their wife/girlfriend bear them children, bring them up, give up their bodies and their careers for them, when men generally have little to do with raising the kids. I feel a bit like, "well, yeah, it's easy for you to say you demand children, isn't it".

I guess I agree with you. I don't think that because women have wombs then it means they should stay at home. I'd love it if we both did part-time, her in the afteroon after 12 and me in the mornings it'd be great.

Though a lot of the girls I know, want to stay at home for 3-4 years which I don't understand why.....tradition maybe?

Do you seriously think this alone has caused there to be a huge amount- so much that you've noticed it- more mothers than (knowing) fathers? Are you seriously saying there are so many men who don't know they have kids that you can actually notice the discrepancy between the number of mothers and fathers in the country?

No, I've simply stated that it is one of the factors. There doesn't necessarily need to be the same amount of male parents as there do female ones, women can easily be impregnated by men who are already fathers whereas it is less likely for the opposite to occur (due to social reasons).

And one woman can have kids by several men.

It's not even though is it? A man can get a dozen women pregnant in the space of a month and therefore there will be twelve mothers and one father. For the opposite to occur, it would take one woman at least 10 years to perform the same stunt. Obviously amplify this on a national scale and the disparity is huge.
Original post by Blueflare
Okay, I find the posts on this thread kind of alarming. :lolwut: If they're actually serious that is...

I guess I'm fortunate to have a bf who doesn't want kids either, albeit for different reasons from mine.

I find it alarming too. There are plenty of men who don't want children either and to find a woman who thinks likewise is a huge plus.

I've never wanted children, although I love kids (I enjoy babysitting for example)...but I have no desire to have my own.

Quite frankly I think if a woman is worrying about what men will think of her because of this then she needs to work on her self-esteem. :s-smilie:

Women are more than just human-making machines and our species is in no danger of dying out, so women have more than enough reasons to decide not to procreate. Ok, so some men are going to find it unattractive, but that is their right too. What an odd thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending