The Student Room Group

Universities raise grade requirements AFTER prospectuses issued

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article462804.ece

if you can't see this it's basically writing about how some university requirements for courses have been heightened AFTER the propectus has been issued to students.... so some have already applied thinking they'd qualify at ABB for Pharmacy at Manchester Met for example, and they've raised their rquirements to AAB after they've applied.

I write for Newcastle University and I need some opinions from students about this. If you want to be PM me your opinion and your school, that would be fab and a great help! thanks

Scroll to see replies

Heard about this.

The unis are perfectly entitled to do it, but not very kind to people who applied at the edge.

I think, as a gesture of good-will, people should be allowed to substitute choices made for a course that's officially raised its requirements after the applicant has applied, as long as they met the published requirements at the time of the application.
Some unis. for my course did this but stated that those who submitted their UCAS before the entry requirements were raised will still be considered equally even if they don't meet the current requirements.
Reply 3
I course I applied to did this:frown: Im still hoping but I don't really think I have a chance
Reply 4
Nottingham university done this to me raising mechanical engineering from BBB in the prospectus to ABB online whilst i checked when filling out my ucas application i just put the uniersity behing me
University of Glasgow did this with the current prospectus, I phoned them up about it and they simply said that the grade requirements were agreed upon after the prospectus was printed. I was quite surprised, as they must have brought quite a lot of hassle upon themselves with people emailing and phoning them up asking what had happened and what the actual grades were to get into the courses for which the grade requirements had gone up.
Reply 6
It's pretty much standard practice isn't it?

For the prospectuses to get made early enough to try to flog uni places to students, the universities use the previous years intake requirements (And normally state this in the prospectus).

The entry requirements stated are normally reasonably indicative of what will be required, but it works along basic lines of supply and demand.

All that being said, I'd imagine it feels a bit like a kick in the teeth if your marks would have got you on a degree place in 2010, but fail to get you on that same degree for 2011
Luckily the offers I have so far have been no different to those stated in the prospectus, but this sort of thing worries me. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Birmingham did this to me. History and Politics from AAB to AAA. Still applied anyway though.
Reply 9
Are the online entry requirements correct or could they be incorrect as well? And even at this point will they potentially increase requirements?
Royal Holloway changed theirs for psychology from AAB/ABB to AAB ****S. I went to the open day and heard and was so pissed off!
King's did this, in August I spoke to them on the phone and they said even though their prospectus and website said ABB, it was in reality AAB. Now they've changed their website to reflect this.
Glasgow did this last year.
Original post by Limeey
Are the online entry requirements correct or could they be incorrect as well? And even at this point will they potentially increase requirements?

Well I'd say go on what their website says, they would be correct as they can be changed and updated at any time. And at this point the requirements shouldn't go up as a lot of people already have offers :smile:
Reply 14
Yes, Sheffield did this to me. They are no longer my firm choice :P
When I applied in the 2009 cycle, a certain computer science department I received an offer from, decided to raise the entry requirements after Christmas (when most people have already applied), and then decided to close the department in mid-April. Think how that might of screwed with someone's plans!

Luckily, I didn't accept their offer, but it just goes to show that universities are entitled to do whatever they want.
Reply 16
Loads of universities have done this. Who cares?
Reply 17
To add on to the list...

Leeds university did this for medicine. Their perspectus for this year was AAB, and now they're asking for AAA when I went on the open day in September. Kind of annoying, Chemistry was going to be my B grade...
Reply 18
Just print screen it where it says they have got the requirements you need on the website. Then if they change it and you are not accepted, they are legally bound to let you in as that was what was shown when you applied.

The same principles for shops - if they have a label of £20 on something that is £100 and you take it to the till they have a legal obligation to sell it at its cut price as that was what was advertised.

Its part of the Misleading Marketing Regulations. Don't forget you pay to apply through UCAS so therefore you should be reimbursed at a minimum and be able to contact UCAS to choose another option as you have been misled.

Its not your fault. Surely they should have updated their sites earlier or their prospectuses before they sent them out.
I found that with most of my offers, they are lower than advertised in the prospectus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending