The Student Room Group

what do guys think of women that don't ever want children

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by FinalFlash
**** that.

I love that track you have in your spolier :-)
Reply 201
Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel
If they do not want kids because they want to spend all their money on themselves and ensure a successful career then that is abit sick.

If they don't want kids for good reasons then that is fine. Maybe they think they will be nasty parents?

Why don't you want kids op?

I think thats wrong, why shouldnt a woman want a successful career and have lived their life without a kid? it seems to be fine for men to do that but when women seem career driven its frowned apon i think its a load of rubbish!
Original post by RosiL
I think thats wrong, why shouldnt a woman want a successful career and have lived their life without a kid? it seems to be fine for men to do that but when women seem career driven its frowned apon i think its a load of rubbish!

He (or she?) seems to have a firmly held belief that women are nothing but baby making machines. When viewed in that context, the post you quoted makes some twisted form of sense. :rolleyes:

I can't believe people still think like this.
Original post by skenny7
I love that track you have in your spolier :-)

Ohh....well then you might like the original song. :colondollar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk
Reply 204
I really dont mind kids but I'm not having one unless I have a really comfortable lifestyle. The uncomfortable lifestyle that I had growing up is seriously something that I wouldnt want a child of mine to experience.
Reply 205
Depends if the man wants children or not, I'd imagine that would be a big dealbreaker for any two people in that situation. Whilst I might think it a bit odd, I would also think that she'd change her mind in the future - after all, most women do end up having children.
Nothing and Sophisticated.
Original post by defuzion
I really dont mind kids but I'm not having one unless I have a really comfortable lifestyle. The uncomfortable lifestyle that I had growing up is seriously something that I wouldnt want a child of mine to experience.

This. It would be a huge bonus for me to find a girl who'd rather concentrate on her career and think about children later in life(around 40-50) after all men are said to be super when they're in their late 40s and 60s:awesome:

But life can change, so maybe when I do grow up to be a 30 year old men I might want to have kids:biggrin: but 3 kids maximum for me since the world is already overpopulated:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on

Quick edit: No one on here who has said they don't want children has said its because they don't like them.

i have

not the only reason i dont want them but one of the reasons
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
i have

not the only reason i dont want them but one of the reasons

I have too.

I always find it odd when people say I'm "selfish" for not having kids because I don't like them. Surely it would be infinitely more selfish to have kids so that I can be what society expects me to be, when I would not be capable of giving the child everything it needs, emotionally. It would be morally wrong, in fact.
I know this because it's precisely what my mother did. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with not liking kids. Not everyone has to like all the same things. :p:
It seems people here are treating children as possessions instead of human beings.
Reply 211
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
It seems people here are treating children as possessions instead of human beings.

It's called human nature. :colonhash:

Before I get 20 negs for this, I didn't say it wasn't controllable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 212
Original post by Anonymous
just curious

do you find that sort of mentality attractive? or crude? or indifferent?
and could you explain why?

thanks

I find this to be an interesting topic.

It would seem that people that do not want to have children bear the total responsibility for their relationship. My observations of this type of relationship are that the couples are very close and are often seen by parents as reclusive. That is understandable as they don’t typically attend the same functions as the parents. They are often more financially secure than their peers due to having dual income without children.

Many who have children have great relationships with their spouse. They live in a perfect world and are totally happy and committed to each other and look forward to graduation ceremonies, grandkids, etc. and all that that brings.

Many of those who have children often get divorced early when the relationship with their partner breaks down; while others live in the misery of an unsuccessful relationship until the children have left the nest to file for divorce. I’m sure many remain in an unsatisfactory relationship for life due to age and economic reasons. See link
http://www.marriagemissions.com/empty-nests-and-empty-marriages/

According to data from the National Center for Health Statistics, the overall divorce rate declined by 1.4 percent between 1981 and 1991, the Arps said in their book, The Second Half of Marriage: Facing the Eight Challenges of the Empty-Nest Years. However, during those same years, the divorce rate grew 16% for couples married 30 years or more.

To answer your question the mentality is crude due to the fact that no one knows with 100% certainty that they are capable of reproducing. So the question should be ‘If you married then found out your partner was incapable of reproducing, would you immediately divorce them?

Cheers
Original post by missygeorgia
I didn't say you were being sexist, I said you were being patronising. Which you are, incredibly so.

To be fair, I'm on the older end of the TSR spectrum and have a family. Forgive me for not taking the idealistic statements of late teens/early twenties students as gospel. It's easy to make idealistic statements at that age, I know, I've done it.

..Of course it doesn't. The fact is, as someone pertinently pointed out earlier, our society simply doesn't value mothers and it doesn't value housewives. That's not 'my' association.

No, your association was to explicitly insinuate that because I believe that many women who state their preference to not have children in their early twenties will most likely go on to have children later, that I also have chauvinistic views as well.

Gender inequality is an inescapable issue, that is true, society should value a lot of things more than it does. However, have you ever asked a man what it is like to be the carer of a child and how you are viewed in society? You are pretty much a social pariah. not just undervalued but seen as abnormal. I've only tangentally experienced this on the odd occasion I am off and pick up my child from school - I am excluded from that social group of carers by the virtue of my gender. I have a friend who was a stay-at-home dad for a couple of years and he experienced a lot of prejudice in that time. All this points to the same thing - we have a traditional view in society that mothers should care for children and many people are quite conservative on that issue.
Reply 214
I'd want children if I was a man.

But let's be honest, I'm unlikely to find a man who will be prepared to stay at home clean up the kids puke when they're sick, missing nights off with their mates to stay in and cooking all the kids dinners, making them get ready for school.... It's just SO rare to find that kind of father.

I know I'd end up doing it all because I obviously could never let my child suffer and then I'd just turn into one of those angry bitter mums that I hate.
I don't want kids. I want a career. I had to bring up my younger brother from when I was 10 and I think that killed of my maternal instincts completely.
Reply 216
Original post by Anonymous
just curious

do you find that sort of mentality attractive? or crude? or indifferent?
and could you explain why?

thanks

more time to go through my 52 paged folder of sexual fantasies with her :sexface:
Reply 217
Original post by FinalFlash
Ohh....well then you might like the original song. :colondollar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk

thank you! i really love it :-)
Reply 218
I don't blame them tbh.
Depends on the guy obv. and ofc. what kinda relationship he wants to get into. Obv. if hes young and wants fun he probably won't care at all. However if he's older and wants a longterm one then I think most men would want children so it would certainly be off putting to say the least, I mean children are a big thing. Personally, I know I want to have children because what normal people don't? :biggrin: Joke! But seriously I'm not joking! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending