The Student Room Group

Took part in surgery abroad.. should i feel bad?

I 'took part' in a surgery abroad, i basically held a piece of skin while the surgeon stitched it together. then like an idiot i put this on my personal statement. my interview is next week and now i feel really bad and don't know what i'm going to say if they ask my why i did it? I really shouldn't have done it, i mean something could have gone seriously wrong!
say it was a (roadside) emergency, and the surgeon on scene needed your help? (why were you doing it by the way)

i'm sure you can come up with a scenario where it makes you sound like it wasn't a bad thing you did it and contributed positively to your medical experience
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Say they were severely short on staff and without you, the patient would have died. You were fortunate enough to take part in an operation because you were in the right place at the right time.

:smug:

btw, good luck in your interview :yy:
You held a piece of skin? It's not really something to write home about.
I don't think making up a story about it would make it any better, actually :s

You might be better off explaining how you came to realise you were wrong
Reply 5
How random?

You're probably best off not lying about it because I'm sure the admissions tutors with years of experience of interviewing will notice you aren't telling the truth if you invent a story. Just say you came to the aid of a surgeon who needed someone to hold the patient while he stitched him up.
you did what you did and have already written it down so just explain if anyone asks. it does disgust me a bit when people do work exp abroad, are unprofessionally involved in a clinical procedure and gloat about it like its something to be proud of though (in general, im not directing this at you OP).

Original post by EKR93
How random?

You're probably best off not lying about it because I'm sure the admissions tutors with years of experience of interviewing will notice you aren't telling the truth if you invent a story. Just say you came to the aid of a surgeon who needed someone to hold the patient while he stitched him up.

tbf they've also had years of people BSing them and hiding it too well to tell.
Reply 7
Original post by John Locke
you did what you did and have already written it down so just explain if anyone asks. it does disgust me a bit when people do work exp abroad, are unprofessionally involved in a clinical procedure and gloat about it like its something to be proud of though (in general, im not directing this at you OP).

I did work experience in surgery in the UK and for some reason or another the patient was going to fall off the table. I jumped forward and stopped her leg falling off (the anaesthetist was up top) and I got a second hole ripped into me by the surgeon. Never again will I try and help somebody. :p:

e: Thought this to be a good time to say that it was before surgery, nothing was sterile, but patient was anaesthetised.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska
I did work experience in surgery in the UK and for some reason or another the patient was going to fall off the table. I jumped forward and stopped her leg falling off (the anaesthetist was up top) and I got a second hole ripped into me by the surgeon. Never again will I try and help somebody. :p:

I vividly recall in the middle of a colonoscopy, the surgeon turning to me to say "hold this.." and walking off. :rofl:
Reply 9
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I vividly recall in the middle of a colonoscopy, the surgeon turning to me to say "hold this.." and walking off. :rofl:

Hahaha.

I guess the approach differs by surgeon then. :p:
Reply 10
Original post by geekdiddy
I 'took part' in a surgery abroad, i basically held a piece of skin while the surgeon stitched it together. then like an idiot i put this on my personal statement. my interview is next week and now i feel really bad and don't know what i'm going to say if they ask my why i did it? I really shouldn't have done it, i mean something could have gone seriously wrong!

Why should you feel bad? Did the patient not give consent? Was there no insurance?

As far as I am aware every operation I have been assisting in has had the potential to go seriously wrong. Thats why we have highly trained surgeons. Assisting per se is not a bad thing.
You'd be very unwise (and dishonest) to make something up.

The decision to involve you in the surgery was made by the surgeon - assuming you didn't mislead them about who you were, it's fundamentally their responsibility and if the decision was inappropriate it's more their fault than yours. If asked about this experience, make it clear that you realise that there are potential problems in involving untrained people in theatre (include a mention of full patient consent) and that medical students should know their limits, and not operate outside their comfort zone in a way that could endanger patients.

You were inexperienced and when asked by someone superior and knowledgeable to help, you did as you were told. I don't think anyone would hold this against you if you're clear on the problems and what you've learned.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by geekdiddy

It's more likely they'll ask you about the ethical aspects than anything else - infection risks to both patient and yourself; what would you have done if the surgeons' suture had slipped and cut you by accident - are you vaccinated against Heb B for example.
Be prepared to back up why you put it in your ps and approach the answer from that angle.
Reply 13
shouldnt this be in the medical jokes thread??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending