The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkerz
If I ever need a transplant, it'd be nice if everyone else above me on the list thought like you. I seem to think that (if and) when push comes to shove, staring death in the face, you might change your mind, however.

Maybe...but if I will change my mind in the future, and take someones organ then I'd deffinatly sign that I'd donate my organs as well because I'd hate to be a hypocrite and take an organ and not donate mine in return
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Donating all but my eyes!

Well that seems a bit silly.
Original post by Witty Username
Well I suppose it's one way of keeping the waiting list for new organs down....
How far do you take this belief in faith? Would you refuse other medical interventions eg. meds if you were ill, on the basis your time has to end at some point?

I'm not sure to be honest I would not refuse other medical interventions like meds it's just the idea of being cut up and take organs out and put other organs in that aren't mine it's like stealing a part of someone it just doesn't sit right with me whereas taking say a tumor or dealing with cancer i'm all for that just not replacing a part of myself with an object belonging to someone who has died :s-smilie: don't know if i'm making any sense though!
Original post by left.handed.leo
I'm not sure to be honest I would not refuse other medical interventions like meds it's just the idea of being cut up and take organs out and put other organs in that aren't mine it's like stealing a part of someone it just doesn't sit right with me whereas taking say a tumor or dealing with cancer i'm all for that just not replacing a part of myself with an object belonging to someone who has died :s-smilie: don't know if i'm making any sense though!

I can kinda see where you're coming from. I know that some transplant patients do have fears about receiving someone elses organ.
But your cancer argument is particularly weak especially since being dead, organ donation will be far less invasive than surgery to remove a tumour or a course of chemo.
Reply 144
because i need them if i am to slaugher hordes of christians in the afterlife
I can kinda see where you're coming from. I know that some transplant patients do have fears about receiving someone elses organ.
But your cancer argument is particularly weak especially since being dead, organ donation will be far less invasive than surgery to remove a tumour or a course of chemo.

Yes your right there very weak argument now that I thought it through! :smile: To be honest I really don't know how I would react to the invasive surgery as I've been really lucky so far to not need any surgery or a visit to the hosiptal for say appendecis or a broken bone I don't know how I'd feel for such an invasion of privacey as I kind of like my own personal space and independence - don't think i'd cope well in a hospital personally!
Yes your right there very weak argument now that I thought it through! :smile: To be honest I really don't know how I would react to the invasive surgery as I've been really lucky so far to not need any surgery or a visit to the hosiptal for say appendecis or a broken bone I don't know how I'd feel for such an invasion of privacey as I kind of like my own personal space and independence - don't think i'd cope well in a hospital personally!

As someone who's been in and out of hospital this year, no-one likes the loss of independence! (or personal space for that matter!) But you get on with it, the best you can :smile:
I hope if I ever need an organ I'll be lucky enough to receive one, but statistically speaking I probably won't, so lets hope I won't find myself in that situation!
As someone who's been in and out of hospital this year, no-one likes the loss of independence! (or personal space for that matter!) But you get on with it, the best you can :smile:
I hope if I ever need an organ I'll be lucky enough to receive one, but statistically speaking I probably won't, so lets hope I won't find myself in that situation!

Hope your better whatever was the matter!
My friend is having some problems with a liver and she will probably need a organ in the future so I feel maybe my opinion will change on the matter of giving my organs as I 'grow-up' as I'm not absouloutly decided yet!
By the way you sound like one of those 'good' people I was talking about so I may actually give you an organ if you need one! hehe :smile:
I can't think of any reason not to do it, I think if you're in need of an organ then you should be someone who can donate it. I mean, when I'm dead I don't think i'll need all that stuff.

I donated everything, except my eyes, 'cause I thought it was freaky. I got my donor card a while back, I was so excited :biggrin:
Hope your better whatever was the matter!
My friend is having some problems with a liver and she will probably need a organ in the future so I feel maybe my opinion will change on the matter of giving my organs as I 'grow-up' as I'm not absouloutly decided yet!
By the way you sound like one of those 'good' people I was talking about so I may actually give you an organ if you need one! hehe :smile:

Yeah, I am better and like I said, hopefully I'll never need one!
Cheers, though that's not the way the donor register works :biggrin:
And best of luck to your friend :smile:
Yay. Apparently me and my sister have been registered donors since birth. Didn't know that till a few weeks ago, but I'm glad I'm registered.

At the end of the day, I'll be dead. If anyone can use whatever parts of my insides can be transplanted, then I'm not really going to care now, am I?
Reply 151
Interesting contradiction in your logic there. Up to which point may I ask?
I'm a donor and I hope that if any of my loved ones ever need an organ/tissue/blood someone will have been genorous enough to help by doing the same and signing up!
:smile:

some people donate their lungs, parts of liver and so on something which I am not prepared to do. I don't see it as a contradiction. I will do this only if there is absolutely no way for them so survive unless and I am the only person that can help. other wise no. I don't judge people if they want to give away parts of their body however it's not something I would happily volunteer unless, like I said, my family member cannot survive without my help in particular due to gene miss match or whatever.

It's personal choice and this is how I chose to be, to live, to die.
Reply 152
This reminds me of something my dad said to me once... he said, "Once your mother's gone, and the decision of whether or not to donate my organs when I die goes to you... I'd like you to donate every single one of my organs, except my eyes so you'd have your old dad to look at during the funeral" it made me tear up so bad :frown: but yes, I think I will be an organ donor, why not
(edited 13 years ago)
Well im on teh fence tbh, I would mind giving them to a deserving case like a child or a parent. But like all my possesions me thinks i want them to go to a good home. Not someone who abuses there body. I dont mean to judge people if there reformed then hey take what you want. If i could make one family happy then my life woulda been worth it *sobs into a dubiously clean hankerchief*
Original post by Mega Nerd
I can't think of any reason not to do it, I think if you're in need of an organ then you should be someone who can donate it. I mean, when I'm dead I don't think i'll need all that stuff.

I donated everything, except my eyes, 'cause I thought it was freaky. I got my donor card a while back, I was so excited :biggrin:

I don't think eye donation would be freaky, at the end of the day like you said, you will be dead so you won't care, and if it gives a blind person the chance to have sight again, then it's for a great cause.
Original post by Sprockette
I know there is no logical reason not to but I'm scared to :frown: I might later on, I know it's irrational and I would like to help. I am diabetic so that might rule out some parts of me (kidneys?).

They never know if they can use your organs until they actually have a check of them, once you're dead. The only things that fully rule you out from donating are HIV and CJD (a prion disease, its a little bit like mad cow disease but in humans) .
Original post by killa78
I do mind you asking....

Nahhhh!

Umm, Personally I'm not too sure about this, so someone on here may probably have a go at me if I get it wrong :confused:

But,
I'm muslim, so I believe in life after death.
We believe that anything that your dead body goes through will be felt in the afterlife as a very painful experience.

Thats why, we (muslims) should be buried as soon as possible and are against Post mortems.

I think this is the case, I've heard this reasoning before lol
Hope this helped! :biggrin:

Organ donation is permissible in Islam.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 157
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I became an organ donor around a month ago and seemed pretty indifferent about it. I told my rents and my dad shrugged it off but my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

I signed up because if I was unfortunate enough to need an organ I'd like it before I died, so why not be the donor?

Well anyway, I just want to hear your views on organ donation, are you against it, or do you embrace it?

Reasons please.

I don't care what people say, it is morally and ethically correct to donate organs. If you're dead then they are pretty useless to you anyway, so why not try and save someones life. The only people who might disagree with this will be those bastard theists.
Original post by Digit_Five
Well that seems a bit silly.

Possibly. But I just couldn't deal with having something visible of myself still out in the world. I know you can say I'm selfish and denying someone sight, but I guess that's something I have to live with.
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I became an organ donor around a month ago and seemed pretty indifferent about it. I told my rents and my dad shrugged it off but my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

I signed up because if I was unfortunate enough to need an organ I'd like it before I died, so why not be the donor?

Well anyway, I just want to hear your views on organ donation, are you against it, or do you embrace it?

Reasons please.

My response to your mum would be 'when you are old I'm putting you in the cheapest home possible. Because I can'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending