The Student Room Group

I cant handle put me downs anymore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous

Now I am just "Whats the point" but I stop myself from falling to the bottom and have just enough strength to be somewhat stable.

I often ask myself that question too. Whether there is a point or not, life will go on regardless so you might as well go with the flow.

You can choose to let your demons and past bully you or you can choose to fight back and make the most of your life. Gandhi said our most important battle was overcoming our fears, demons and insecurities.

The bad experiences you have had in life are rocket fuel to propel you forward, you can use them as motivation. I've been attacked in the street and hospitalised twice. Instead of living the rest of my life as a 'victim' and becoming a hermit, I started physical training again to get myself fit and strong and to get my self esteem and confidence back; going from having a beer belly to a six pack.

Instead of living my life in fear all the time I decided to confront my fears by tackling my biggest fear after physical violence at the time-heights.

I don't know what the point of life is, if there even is one, but all I do know is that I'm stuck on this planet for X amount of years and I have the choice of spending my incarnation in misery and self-pity or I can make the most of the time I've got, to make the world a better place for myself and those around me.
Reply 21
Ideally I would suggest you move, get a job, study with the Open University and exercise to make yourself feel better about yourself.

It seems that you have tried moving at least in the sense that you have been to three different unis, but then dropped out because of the people there. This does suggest that you are part of the problem, to be blunt. Stop identifying yourself with what you think other people think about you. It does not help and it is actually most of the time fairly irrelevant. (Most people DON'T think about you at all, they actually couldn't care less.)

I think Open University would really suit you, because it would allow you to gain some confidence and skills in a context where social interaction is irrelevant. You may also be able to transfer some credits from your previous courses.
Reply 22
Original post by llys
Ideally I would suggest you move, get a job, study with the Open University and exercise to make yourself feel better about yourself.

I agree with this, exercise could be life changing for you. I know how it feels to be fat (I wasn't massively overweight but I did have a beer belly) and it really kills your confidence and self-esteem. Losing weight and getting trim again will really lift your spirits. Not only will you feel better having a better body but exercise gives you a natural high so you will feel better physically and mentally anyway.

I'm trying to stay teetotal at the minute and I've gone months at a time without alcohol. Alcohol use to be a source of pleasure and stress relief for me but when I gave up drinking, I had a void to fill. Exercise filled that void.

Not only will you lose weight and feel better, it's good to get the aggression/adrenaline out of your system so it relieves stess too. It requires alot of self discipline but it really helps to build mental strength. Will Smith said that if he was on a treadmill, either he would die or the other person would get off the treadmill first. He said he will just keep going no matter how hard it is because when he ever has difficult times in his life, the self-discipline and mental strength he has developed through exercise, will shine through.

Some people join the gym but it doesn't necessarily have to cost you money. I do most of my training at home, I have my own weights, a skipping rope (skipping is a really good exercise-better than jogging apparently) and a pull up bar for my doorframe. I also bought a punch bag this year. A lot of the exercises I do don't require any equipment such as crunches and press ups. I do all my running outside.

I ran my first two full marathons this year and a half marathon and when you start running those distances, the weight will just drop off you. Don't think that you can't do it either (I use to!), Eddie Izzard ran 50 marathons in 50 days and with no disrespect to Eddie, he's not exactly an Olympic athlete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending