The Student Room Group

Do you think...

... that a relationship where you have never been with anyone else, and have been with the same person since you were 15 or so, can lead to that couple staying together and having a happy marriage etc?

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, just a question that I have been wondering for a while.

In my opinion it doesn't generally work as well as relationships where you have been with others first. If someone had asked me when I was with my first boyfriend I would have said yes, of course, it's perfect, bla bla bla.
But now I have had a few boyfriends I think it has made my relationship stronger, as well as making me a generally better person. First relationships seem to be a bit more obsessive, lovey-dovey and a bit sickly if you know what I mean (speaking from personal experience and seeing friends/family), whereas later they get a lot more realistic. This also makes them more challenging, true, but at least then you know you can get through the stresses and be fine on the other side.
I just find it hard to believe that someone can really know who they want to be with if they haven't experienced others to compare, and got over that 'oh he/she is so perfect' phase.

Like I said, I don't mean to offend, and this is just what I have seen in myself and other people, so I just wanted to see what other people think.

And comments saying 'I'm with my first boy/girlfriend and we're going to be together forever' aren't very useful. I'm not saying it can't work, just that it seems less likely to.

Scroll to see replies

:erm:
Reply 2
hey we're not offended just because youre a slut who can keep her legs together for everyone but that special gyuy.
Original post by jolteon
hey we're not offended just because youre a slut who can keep her legs together for everyone but that special gyuy.

You nasty, ignorant little s**t.

Seriously, roaming threads being offensive doesn't make you hilarious or "controversial"... it just makes you an arse hole.
Reply 4
Original post by karateworm
You nasty, ignorant little s**t.

Seriously, roaming threads being offensive doesn't make you hilarious or "controversial"... it just makes you an arse hole.

you just valedated my evaning. u mad>???
Original post by jolteon
you just valedated my evaning. u mad>???

I've no idea what that means, so I'm posting a hilarious limerick. :cool:

A young schizophrenic named Struther,
Who learned of the death of his Brother, **
Said, "I know that its bad, ***
But I don't feel too sad. ***
After all, I still have each other."
Reply 6
Original post by jolteon
who can keep her legs together for everyone but that special gyuy.

Correct. I do not sleep with anyone but my boyfriend.
Reply 7
if you were a woman of clas you would have suck with your first love and madfe sure your firtst love wad the correct one!!!!!!!
Reply 8
lols you're one funny kid boyo.
My first relationship was far from what you described, but I guess I was just a fraction unlucky there, huh? Anyway, to answer your question, I don't really see any reason why a couple who meet at 14 / 15 couldn't stay together forever if they really wanted to work at their relationship.
Reply 10
well at l;east you have a sense of humour unlike white karate knight.

also, yes, schizophrenia is nothing like multiple account disorder.
Original post by El_Sid
Actually, thats not schizophrenia. You're thinking of Multiple Personality Disorder.

Schizophrenics do often hear voices though, no?

My window cleaner has it, and he shouts to him self as he cleaning the window. Very unnerving :s-smilie:
Original post by El_Sid
Aye, but it's a commanding voice. Thats why you generally find hobos on the streets of New York screaming and fighting ghosts. It is pretty unsettling.

To be fair, that sounds pretty cool... like being in the ghost busters all the time! :cool:
Reply 13
Original post by L'Amour Toujours
My first relationship was far from what you described, but I guess I was just a fraction unlucky there, huh? Anyway, to answer your question, I don't really see any reason why a couple who meet at 14 / 15 couldn't stay together forever if they really wanted to work at their relationship.

I agree, I'm not saying it couldn't. My one friend (the exception to the rule) in her mid 20s has been with her boyfriend since she was 15 or 16, but she is very mature and just not like anyone else, shall we say!

Good on those who do make it work, but I do think that it's less likely to turn out well, and is often not as good a relationship as those who have had experience of more than one person. You learn a lot from a break up, if nothing else, and grow a lot as a person I think.
Reply 14
Id hope it could still work otherwise my relationship is screwed since we started when we were 14, and that "oh shes so perfect phase", how long does that last do you think?
What do you think you have you learnt from your prior relationships that have been so important?
I know two people who have been together since they're 16, and they're 21 now, and engaged. They've stayed together through a lot. They've both "found themselves" and gone off to Uni (seperately) and had wonderful experiences. I'm sure it was really hard for them, but they're really happy now. So it can happen, but I was with a guy when I was 16, and I would rather die than be back in a relationship with him.
Reply 16
Original post by LemonKitty
... that a relationship where you have never been with anyone else, and have been with the same person since you were 15 or so, can lead to that couple staying together and having a happy marriage etc?

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, just a question that I have been wondering for a while.

In my opinion it doesn't generally work as well as relationships where you have been with others first. If someone had asked me when I was with my first boyfriend I would have said yes, of course, it's perfect, bla bla bla.
But now I have had a few boyfriends I think it has made my relationship stronger, as well as making me a generally better person. First relationships seem to be a bit more obsessive, lovey-dovey and a bit sickly if you know what I mean (speaking from personal experience and seeing friends/family), whereas later they get a lot more realistic. This also makes them more challenging, true, but at least then you know you can get through the stresses and be fine on the other side.
I just find it hard to believe that someone can really know who they want to be with if they haven't experienced others to compare, and got over that 'oh he/she is so perfect' phase.

Like I said, I don't mean to offend, and this is just what I have seen in myself and other people, so I just wanted to see what other people think.

And comments saying 'I'm with my first boy/girlfriend and we're going to be together forever' aren't very useful. I'm not saying it can't work, just that it seems less likely to.

I totally understand what your sayin... i met my 1st love when i was 14 (oh n im 17 nw)but in that tym we have broken up twice n ive seen other people and so has he....but we always seem to end up together again i cannt say its love but there is something between us that we just cannt be apart :s-smilie: sounds stupid i knw what that how it is.. and i would say i would like to get married to him :colondollar: hehe

hope that helped :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by JayReg
Id hope it could still work otherwise my relationship is screwed since we started when we were 14, and that "oh shes so perfect phase", how long does that last do you think?
What do you think you have you learnt from your prior relationships that have been so important?

It sounds so cliched but I have learnt so much about myself from my break ups. Seen how I've done things wrong, seen sorts of people I don't want to be with, proven to myself that I can get back up afterwards.

I don't know how much of it is just me getting older and maturing, but obviously my past can't change so I don't know which made me more who I am, aging or relationships. But I do know for certain that relationships changed me, and break ups changed me, and I wouldn't be who I am now without that.
Reply 18
Well I wouldnt know but it seems like you could be right.
Original post by LemonKitty
I agree, I'm not saying it couldn't. My one friend (the exception to the rule) in her mid 20s has been with her boyfriend since she was 15 or 16, but she is very mature and just not like anyone else, shall we say!

Good on those who do make it work, but I do think that it's less likely to turn out well, and is often not as good a relationship as those who have had experience of more than one person. You learn a lot from a break up, if nothing else, and grow a lot as a person I think.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you completely! I don't think I could be (successfully, shall we say?) in the relationship I'm in now (it's getting serious, we're quite settled etc.) if I hadn't been in some of the **** relationships I was in before now. I'm actually kinda envious of the people that meet so young and manage to work things out though, TBH. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending