The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rajandkwameali
People who complain about introverts basically have false expectations of human existence. the basic point is that people don't have to warm to us. it's due to this false expectation why, IMO, people complain about introverts.

You're wrong. I've counted this same argument from you in many forms and each time you've just repeated it; unless you have some kind of evidence that people think in such a way [which you don't] compared to all the research and concepts produced about social norms, your argument appears shallow and pseudo-intellectual.
You haven't countered it at all.

You simply have spouted pop culture norms, which have zero basis in reality. The fact is if somebody does not respond well to you, it's something beyond one's control. It's a basic fact that we cannot control others' actions.:biggrin::wink: It's also a fact that social skills are not equally developed in all persons, and that how we interact with others is based on a number of different factors and contingencies.

I dismiss the idea that not adhering to social norms in interaction is bad in this case. A ready solution is simply to move on to another person, and not expect everybody to warm to you.
Original post by lonely14
:s-smilie: you seem to love the word "norm".

There are norms in social interaction. Is there a reason why they are not?
Reply 43

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm sorry. I just can't get you. :sigh::sigh:
Reply 44

I'd just leave it; this guy is a broken record - a record that has so little comprehension of the subject it's trying to argue against [and I suspect is trolling after all] that it keeps changing the subject matter to suit whatever it's claiming at the time; switching between these two points continuously.

I mean he just stated there are norms; yet he told me earlier that there's no such thing...

there are no such things as social norms.

Again, whose problem is it that introverts cannot relate to others? You've essentially proven that introverts make others feel uncomfortable. In life, nobody owes others comfort, wellbeing, or affection.

And before you quote this, no doubt to try and argue social norms and social interaction aren't the same thing; I defined the context I was using social norm here:

Original post by Resonanse
Social norms are [at least within the context I'm suing the word] the typical behaviors of individuals when socializing.

Which is pretty much identical to whatever context you were using the word social interaction.
(edited 13 years ago)
There are social norms, but norms in social interaction and human society don't exist.

Social norms don't exist, but there are norms of behaviour.
Reply 47

There are social norms, but norms in social interaction and human society don't exist.

Please, continue to make yourself look the fool, it's rather entertaining...

Social norms don't exist, but there are norms of behaviour.
(edited 13 years ago)
norms exist, but don't exist. It's common knowledge.
I don't know where you all got the idea that introverts don't understand opinions or views. The way you are all describing introversion I thought you were talking about being Autistic.

Introverts avoid social interaction if they can, are quite shy and reserved but they are more into solitary activities than social ones. Many artists, writers, composers, musicians are introverts. In any definition I can find, not once do I come across "They don't understand views or opinions". I think you're getting it confused with Autism.

People have all sorts of different views so ones "abnormal in the head" will be another persons normality. Like another man's trash is another man's treasure.
I never said that. I'm not so silly to say that. Also, there is a difference between being shy and introverted. introverts don't necessarily lack confidence.

It is abnormal in the head to presume that people will respond warmly to others. This is where the issue with introverts comes in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
norms exist, but don't exist. It's common knowledge.

Hilarious.
People are contradictory, get over it.
Hmm, you're thinking about people who are shy/lacking in social skills. These people should seek help because it is holding them back.
Introverts aren't necessarily awkward and I don't think people really complain about them?
Original post by mikeylfc1989
Hmm, you're thinking about people who are shy/lacking in social skills. These people should seek help because it is holding them back.
Introverts aren't necessarily awkward and I don't think people really complain about them?

Yes they do. Pop culture does.
Yes they do. Pop culture does.

Be more specific?
Regardless, if you're introverted there is no harm in making an effort with people. If you don't talk to people it will make them feel awkward, it's selfish not to consider that.
Original post by mikeylfc1989
Be more specific?
Regardless, if you're introverted there is no harm in making an effort with people. If you don't talk to people it will make them feel awkward, it's selfish not to consider that.

Why should the introvert give a ****? Nobody has to care about anybody else.
Why should the introvert give a ****? Nobody has to care about anybody else.

Doesn't have to, it's just not a good quality to have really.
Reply 58
People are contradictory, get over it.

When you're arguing a point like this you can't be contradictory; it just makes your points mute because you're arguments support my points...you can't say one minute social norms don't exist [an attempt to thwart my earlier argument] but then argue they do, it just means you confirm I was correct originally...

I think it's fair to say you've lost this debate badly...
social norms exist, but don't exist.

Latest

Trending

Trending