The Student Room Group

Drinking alcohol too much?

Hi everybody,

I go out once a week and I always drink the same things:

1x 70cl bottle of Smirnoff Vodka
4x Jagerbombs

and sometimes a few cans of beer or cider...

Is this bad? Should I cut down?

Thanks.
thats over LD50... really not healthy
It's over the recommended weekly allowance by quite a few units and you're drinking it all in one night, so yeah, it's too much and it isn't good for you.

Original post by didgeridoo12uk
thats over LD50... really not healthy

Really? If he does that every weekend, surely he'd be dead by now then? Almost....impressive I dare say!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Well it definitely isn't good for you... but who cares, it's up to you what you do with your body.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
You probably don't drink that much.
Reply 5
theres no such thing as too much...

except for what you're drinking
Reply 6
Original post by goodmen
You probably don't drink that much.

I actually do, I won't be in the future though.

What about half a bottle of Vodka & a few Jager bombs?
Reply 7
Before Uni I rarely had alcohol... so obviously I know very little about it. Since starting Uni I have been forced into drinking almost, I do enjoy it but drinking so much that your still drunk the next day isn't good.

What does everybody drink on a night out?
Reply 8
Yeah man, that isn't much compared to what many drink. Jagerbombs don't really have a massive effect on me, so i could easily down 4 of them. Other than that, it's a few cans of cider and a smirnoff to contend with, so i'd be OK with that combination. Depends on your individual physiological makeup tbh.
Reply 9
Original post by damos92
Yeah man, that isn't much compared to what many drink. Jagerbombs don't really have a massive effect on me, so i could easily down 4 of them. Other than that, it's a few cans of cider and a smirnoff to contend with, so i'd be OK with that combination. Depends on your individual physiological makeup tbh.

I just mean... in terms of bodily harm, how bad is it to drink that much?

I personally could give up alcohol, I only drink because all of my flatmates do... and they drink A LOT.
Original post by You Failed
It's over the recommended weekly allowance by quite a few units and you're drinking it all in one night, so yeah, it's too much and it isn't good for you.

Really? If he does that every weekend, surely he'd be dead by now then? Almost....impressive I dare say!

yeh well its quoted at different levels from different sources

but basically a BAC level of 0.45% is roughly LD50

which is roughly 850ml of 37.5% alcohol. or 32 units for an 82Kg man

OP has 0.7*37.5 +4 = 28 units.

then a couple of cans will knock him up to LD50
yeh well its quoted at different levels from different sources

but basically a BAC level of 0.45% is roughly LD50

which is roughly 850ml of 37.5% alcohol. or 32 units for an 82Kg man

OP has 0.7*37.5 +4 = 28 units.

then a couple of cans will knock him up to LD50

Except you're completely ignoring the rate at which his body metabolises alcohol and you don't know how much he weighs.

It does seem quite close though.
Except you're completely ignoring the rate at which his body metabolises alcohol and you don't know how much he weighs.

It does seem quite close though.

i'm an engineer... we're trained to make rough estimates.....

but good point, ok so probably not quite LD50... either way, its still not healthy. he'll be still be in the BAC range where he'll likely be suffering at least some of these issues..

Severe CNS depression
Unconsciousness
Death possible
Bladder function
Breathing
Heart rate
General lack of behavior
Breathing
Heart rate
(edited 13 years ago)

but good point, ok so probably not quite LD50... either way, its still not healthy

Yeah well I do Physics so I'm on the same page with you there. I just thought if it actually was LD50, he'd be dead and he's not, so it's hardly a good estimate.

I did say already it definitely isn't healthy though.
Reply 14

but good point, ok so probably not quite LD50... either way, its still not healthy. he'll be still be in the BAC range where he'll likely be suffering at least some of these issues..

Severe CNS depression
Unconsciousness
Death possible
Bladder function
Breathing
Heart rate
General lack of behavior
Breathing
Heart rate

Lol, love the response.

Um.. I've only had 3 bottles of Vodka and a bottle of Gin since coming to Uni, I don't do this often but I have been doing it in the last 8 weeks or so. I do find heart rate increases, could be down to dancing though.

I won't be drinking that much vodka anymore, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 a bottle and call it a night. Even then, that is still pretty bad.. hmm.
Yeah well I do Physics so I'm on the same page with you there. I just thought if it actually was LD50, he'd be dead and he's not, so it's hardly a good estimate.

I did say already it definitely isn't healthy though.

LD50 simply means if you gave a population that much alcohol, half of them would be dead. not that theres a 50% chance of death each time you do it.

some peoples bodies will be able to handle it, others won't. generally i think its quite hard for most people to reach the point where they'd die directly from alcohol. most of the time it would just make them throw it all up. (but potentially die from choking on vomit or something else)
LD50 simply means if you gave a population that much alcohol, half of them would be dead. not that theres a 50% chance of death each time you do it.

some peoples bodies will be able to handle it, others won't. generally i think its quite hard for most people to reach the point where they'd die directly from alcohol. most of the time it would just make them throw it all up. (but potentially die from choking on vomit or something else)

I know what LD50 means. Going to LD50 every weekend though is going to seriously mess anyone up, unless the guy has some kind of insane level of tolerance I can't see how repeatedly doing that wouldn't wind up with him dying and I'm not talking about doing it every weekend for 10 years and dying of liver damage, I mean, just dying on a night out due to overdosing.

It's difficult for most people yes, that's because they end up completely wasted and throw a lot of it back up, pass out etc but it's when people don't end up like this but maintain a very high BAC that it gets very dangerous because regardless of the effects it's having on you, you still have a significant amount of poison in your blood. So if he's able to get that close to LD50 and still functioning, then I'd be more worried about him dying from overdosing than someone who drinks 25 units but is throwing up and not very stable, at least they're not drinking anymore and they're getting it out of their system...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending