The Student Room Group

York And Yorkshire Trip

Hello Guys,

Just would like to ask for a help in planning trips this Christmas :smile:

1) North Ireland is in UK? If we have UK visa, do we need to apply?

2) Which is attractive for this X'mas? Wales or York?

3) I and my friends are thinking of going to York this Christmas and visiting Yorkshire as well.. however, I cannot search how to go to Yorkshire from York.. it is tricky? :biggrin: lol

4)and seeking some cheap Bed and Breakfast in York or Yorkshire as well.. so if you have any suggestions on some reliable ones, pls let me know :smile:

Happy December to you all :smile:

Best Wishes
Thet
Reply 1
York!!

I used to live there and It's amazing. :daydreaming:

See this link - http://www.visityork.org/
I don't really understand why you're making out as though York and Yorkshire are two different places. York is IN Yorkshire. York is a city, Yorkshire is a county. Do you not understand the difference?

I used to live in Leeds, that's in West Yorkshire. I currently live in Barnsley, that's in South Yorkshire.

There are LOADS of places within Yorkshire....Scarborough, Bridlington, Filey, Harrogate, Tadcaster, York, Leeds, Wetherby, Wakefield, Barnsley, Sheffield, Doncaster.......and more besides.

You're asking how to get from York to Yorkshire.....when you're in York, you're ALREADY in Yorkshire.

Perhaps you should brush up a tad on your geography.

In terms of your secondl question, I've never been to Wales in winter, though I've been in Summer time and it has been very nice, but York is a very lovely picturesque city in all seasons. I do like York.

I don't know any hotels though in York, sorry, can't help you out there, nor am I familiar with anything to do with Ireland.
Wales in winter is gorgeous, but Yorkshire trumps it!

I'd happily recommend visiting Ilkley and it's resident moor. The Cow and Calf is a good walking area and has a banging pub there too.
Reply 4
Original post by thetmon4
Hello Guys,

Just would like to ask for a help in planning trips this Christmas :smile:

1) North Ireland is in UK? If we have UK visa, do we need to apply?

Yes, Northern Ireland is in the UK. It is covered by your UK visa - you can just get on a boat and go across.

2) Which is attractive for this X'mas? Wales or York?

Depends - York is a city, Wales has lots of towns and cities within it. Either would be fine. Maybe York might be more interesting.

3) I and my friends are thinking of going to York this Christmas and visiting Yorkshire as well.. however, I cannot search how to go to Yorkshire from York.. it is tricky? :biggrin: lol

York is in Yorkshire. Yorkshire is the county surrounding York. There will be buses and trains that run regularly from York to the other towns nearby.
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't really understand why you're making out as though York and Yorkshire are two different places. York is IN Yorkshire. York is a city, Yorkshire is a county. Do you not understand the difference?

I used to live in Leeds, that's in West Yorkshire. I currently live in Barnsley, that's in South Yorkshire.

There are LOADS of places within Yorkshire....Scarborough, Bridlington, Filey, Harrogate, Tadcaster, York, Leeds, Wetherby, Wakefield, Barnsley, Sheffield, Doncaster.......and more besides.

You're asking how to get from York to Yorkshire.....when you're in York, you're ALREADY in Yorkshire.

Perhaps you should brush up a tad on your geography.

In terms of your secondl question, I've never been to Wales in winter, though I've been in Summer time and it has been very nice, but York is a very lovely picturesque city in all seasons. I do like York.

I don't know any hotels though in York, sorry, can't help you out there, nor am I familiar with anything to do with Ireland.

There was no need for that.

She's obviously a tourist/international student/somebody who isn't very familiar with the North of the UK, leave her alone. :facepalm2:

Also, you forgot Bradford in your Yorkshire list. :colonhash:

Anyway OP, both are quite good places to visit.

As lovely as York and the rest of Yorkshire may be, i'd say visit Wales.

It's a lovely country, and holds a capital city (Cardiff) with plenty to do - shopping, sight-seeing, many many hotels, all over the country not just Cardiff.

http://www.visitwales.co.uk/?rw.cm=Google,PPC,visitwales

http://www.visitwales.co.uk/regions-of-wales/

http://www.visitcardiff.com/

Have fun! :smile:
Original post by FattyInNeed
There was no need for that.

She's obviously a tourist/international student/somebody who isn't very familiar with the North of the UK, leave her alone. :facepalm2:

I didn't FORGET Bradford, I said "and more besides" - I'm not spending all day listing all the places in Yorkshire.

I realise she's a tourist, but if she is looking into coming here, you'd think she'd have looked into what, exactly Yorkshire is, instead of deciding she wants to go "from York to Yorkshire." I mean, she's planning her trip, so it's something she should have looked into you'd think. I wouldn't go to Spain and ask "how do you get from Fuengirola to Costa Del Sol" really would I? Because I'd have done a bit of research enough to know that one is inside the other!
Reply 7
Original post by FattyInNeed

There's a reason for that...

Nah, Bradford is a nice place. Just not a lot to do.

York is a beautiful, historic city with plenty of charm and character. Loads to do, shopping, museums, the minster, city walls etc. May be made even more beautiful with the snow. I'd recommend staying in York, as it's a central point to the rest of Yorkshire, and travelling to Leeds and Harrogate, North York Moors and Pickering, Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, and more if you have chance.

If you have chance, go to the German Market in Leeds' Millennium Square. Very intriguing place, and a big beer tent in the middle with a band playing into the night. Extremely entertaining, and when you've had a couple of steins(sp?) of god knows what beer, you'll love it and everyone you see. Also, Leeds is good for Christmas shopping and there's plenty of museums and stuff.

Harrogate is a nice little spa town, about 15 miles North of Leeds and 20 miles west of York. Famous for Betty's tea shop and hosting the eurovision song contest. Buses regularly go to Harrogate from Leeds and York.

Have a look on this site: http://www.yorkshire.com/
Reply 8
Not saying there's anything wrong with cardiff but I think I'd go north wales - snowdonia which is mountanous. depends what the OP wants but they've got cities in Singapore already but not so many mountains.

Course Ingleborough (mountain) is in yorkshire - it looks like a wedding cake when it's been snowing :top:
Original post by mattwhite
Harrogate is a nice little spa town, about 15 miles North of Leeds and 20 miles west of York. Famous for Betty's tea shop and hosting the eurovision song contest. Buses regularly go to Harrogate from Leeds and York.

And one of it's most long running stores "Duttons for Buttons" provided all the buttons for all the costumes in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 + 3. :yep:
Reply 10
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I didn't FORGET Bradford, I said "and more besides" - I'm not spending all day listing all the places in Yorkshire.

I realise she's a tourist, but if she is looking into coming here, you'd think she'd have looked into what, exactly Yorkshire is, instead of deciding she wants to go "from York to Yorkshire." I mean, she's planning her trip, so it's something she should have looked into you'd think. I wouldn't go to Spain and ask "how do you get from Fuengirola to Costa Del Sol" really would I? Because I'd have done a bit of research enough to know that one is inside the other!

Do you ever read Dilbert? Specifically, I am thinking of the cartoon about a worker who masks his incompetence and failure behind a mask of anger and trivia.

I never fail to be impressed by how accurate Dilbert is.
Original post by Bobifier
Do you ever read Dilbert? Specifically, I am thinking of the cartoon about a worker who masks his incompetence and failure behind a mask of anger and trivia.

I never fail to be impressed by how accurate Dilbert is.

This is my fave Dilbert! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending