The Student Room Group

I'm an Asian guy who can't fit in (complicated)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Honestly thought this topic was going to be about something else , just judging from the title.
Original post by *mMmMm*
This reminds me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyhcgWm-XcA

Anna: Confidence Cohen, confidence

aww i love that.
Reply 22
Want to help but, **** reading that ****.

Best asnswer is you won't find the answer to your problem on this thread. People on here can only tell you stuff you probably already know.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for summarising. pretty much spot on and I appreciate the advice. The societies at my universities kinda suck though, none of them are really that active apart from the Islam soc, which I get a creepy feeling would try to convert me :s-smilie:

Show up early for class and get into conversations about assignments, lecturers, bla bla. In the library go to people from your course, ask how are they getting with the assignment. Basically, get into uni talks, and Im sure that if you and the person click it'll go further.

Also, even if there's not much societies, surely you have guest lecturers in all fields open to all students? Go there....

Or when you know people go out, ask smth like ' so what are you up to this evening, mind if I tag along for a drink?'
Original post by anonymous
thanks for summarising. Pretty much spot on and i appreciate the advice. The societies at my universities kinda suck though, none of them are really that active apart from the islam soc, which i get a creepy feeling would try to convert me :s

w4nkers like you won't be making any friends anytime soon..

BILLY-NO-MATES
I'm not reading all that.

In twelve words or less, what is it that you can't fit into?
You know what? **** the people saying that it's a long read. I read it all and I really got to me because that's exactly hoe I feel right now... Any girl that fits wit my outlook I immediately take a liking too... I wonder how long it'll take us both to find someone, seriously.

I've only ever had one girlfriend, and she was muslim. The emotional scars from that are pretty bad, but now it's time to move on and get on with your life.

I don't know about you, but I know I'm working to keep my parents happy. To sustain them through their old age and to give them peace after so many years of taking care of me... If you can get yourself another goal instead of just having to find someone right for you, then I think you'll feel better.

PM me any time! :smile:
Reply 27
These sorts of threads are so lame!
Reply 28
I read it. You do seem like a decent guy tbh, just unlucky with the way things turned out. I'm the sort of person who would always try my hardest to make people feel welcome/not leave people out. And I know there are other people like me, so you just need to keep making an effort with as many people as possible, white, asian, black, whoever. Go to social groups, volunteer, etc. Whenever you're sat at home or in the library (unless you need to be working hard), just think, what else could I be doing? Just make chit chat with people and smile. If you came up to me and started chatting, I'd probably end up inviting you out with my mates or something, so just keep trying. Chin up!
Reply 29
Original post by Hooj
These sorts of threads are so lame!

Dont read them then. People may be feeling quite down/upset and want some advice. Whats so lame in that?
Reply 30
Original post by Rosi M
Dont read them then. People may be feeling quite down/upset and want some advice. Whats so lame in that?

**** ya maouf!
Reply 31
Original post by Hooj
**** ya maouf!

Freak.
Reply 32
Original post by Rosi M
Freak.

No, you're the freak!
Just go out with a friend or two to a club and "bump" into your coursemates by "coincidence".
You sound like a really nice guy *hugs*
I am guessing it is QM/ City/ Brunel.

tbh have only started having a social life now myself in final year because it is hard to fit in when most people at my uni are international/ mature, also most people I know don't drink nor wanna go out for a sober social gathering or nothing. Now I find it is the wrong time to be going out on the lash, having fun so ahve cut down. My common interest with people has to be social life and being smart, studying hard. I've found a few this year, after ages who can balance those 2 qualities well and oh how I look up to it.

Maybe hang around the library, IT labs, SU more often. I randomly go play pool with people I don't know, start talking to bartenders, friends of friends. Also random people from the years below who I dunno at all start talking to me asking for help or how studies are going, sometimes for each and every module which can be annoying.

When I need help, start talking to other people and see what they're doing but don't annoy them just ask aww ok so what did you say about this point etc, if you can see they're studying same thing. Be bubbly so whilst talking about studies, make a joke in between or ask how they are etc... I had work a few days ago after I was at uni, ran back to uni from work, was really hyper that I forgot hang on am at unsociable uni, randomly started to talk to people I dunno. It is fun talking to strangers ^_^
Reply 35
Original post by Hooj
No, you're the freak!

Wierdo why you still on this thread for?
Reply 36
Original post by Rosi M
Wierdo why you still on this thread for?

To reply to you you noob!
Reply 37
Original post by Hooj
To reply to you you noob!

Seriously its fine loser. Go make your 'cool' thread up!
Reply 38
Original post by Rosi M
Seriously its fine loser. Go make your 'cool' thread up!

Was that genuinely supposed to confuse me...:confused:
That post was far too long that it needed to be. "I had trouble settling in first year and now everybody has their own friendship groups" would have sufficed.

Instead of waiting for the phone to ring, make the move yourself. Only incredibly good looking peole have people approach them. If you are going only be friends with Indians then it'll be harder. Unless you go to a London ex-poly. As for your girlfriend, it'll be easier with time. You thought she was the one and now you know she wasn't. You'll probably that you feel that way soon. Sooner if you talked to people. Ask to borrow a pencil or something. Its not a big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending