The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

What would you rate Leeds University in terms of reputation?

Just interested. . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A good Russell Group Uni, but maybe not great.

It fares well relative to other major city Unis.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Yeah it's a pretty decent uni I'd say. I know a few people that go there, loved it and have got decent jobs with their degree. It's probably top 30ish if that means anything to you...

I think a lot of people confuse the city's reputation with that of the university - if it's a large, popular city people assume the university is good...
Go visit it for yourself. If you like the uni, city and the course then go for it. Reputation is important but it's not everything (as long as it's not a poly :tongue: )
Reply 3
Original post by Gissing
A good Russell Group Uni, but maybe not great.

It fares well relative to other major city Unis.

Would you say Nottingham has better rep than leeds
Original post by T-Toe

Yes for some courses eg Law. For some things eg Geophysics then Leeds.

Overall I would say Leeds is in the category of most of the Russell Groupers ie it has a good solid reputation but its hard to get into the fields which are exclusively Oxbridge eg magic circle law, Investment Banking, strat consultancy etc. For those, if you're not Oxbridge then you need to be somewhere like LSE, Imperial, maybe at a pinch Warwick or UCL. When people compare within the Russell Group the marginal benefit of going to one over another is very small, and to be honest the types of employers most of the Russell Group grads look at (Big 4, public sector, retail/engineering/technology grad schemes) get such a wide volume of intake from across Russell and 1994 Group that they are not really discriminating within it.
Reply 5
Original post by T-Toe

Notts uni is much better tbh, Notts is top 10 in most employers view.
I'd say it was a third tier university, with the first tier being Oxford and Cambridge, the second tier being UCL, Imperial and LSE, and then the third tier with Manchester, Warwick, Leeds, etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Greatone1
Notts uni is much better tbh, Notts is top 10 in most employers view.

Oh really :frown: I chose Leeds instead of Notts because I preferred the course structure :frown:
Original post by T-Toe
Oh really :frown: I chose Leeds instead of Notts because I preferred the course structure :frown:

I don't want to insult you, but please, don't be ..... enough to actually believe such ignorance. :facepalm:

Leeds University is a bigger, more research intensive and better funded university than Nottingham. Both universities are good enough to mean that it doesn't really matter which one you choose, as it will ultimately boil down to you as a person and how well you do in your degree.

If I were to choose between the two, I'd go for Leeds personally. Just choose the one you prefer.

Though were I an employer, I'd be unlikely to hire someone as gullible as yourself.
I didn't even consider it when choosing where to apply.
lol I can see where this thread is headed. As soon as someone from Nottingham reads this they will come on with a list of reasons why Nottingham is better, because Nottingham is a good uni.

If you prefer the course structure at Leeds then you're better at Leeds, factors like that are more important, it's not like we are comparing Harvard with an ex-poly, employers know you'll have had a good level of education at any of these Russell Group unis and outside of the exclusive careers like banking and corporate law and so on, employers are not that selective on one institution to another.

As with a lot of things on TSR, if you ask an adult (ie an employer/careers adviser/academic) you will get a different answer from asking students on the internet, many of whom are trolls and just want to get into cyber arguments that their uni is world class, your uni is crap, and you have got no chance of getting a great job like theirs which allows you to spend all day posting on TSR.
Nottingham is better than Leeds, yes.

In terms of the North of England (similar areas around Leeds), i'd say Sheffield and Manchester are better than Leeds too.

Leeds, obviously isn't the worst university in the world, just somewhere in the middle.
Notts is better than Leeds imo, because I'm told they have a better economics department and lots of fit wimminz.

Original post by domino0806
I didn't even consider it when choosing where to apply.

You're so cool.
Reply 13
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I'd say it was a third tier university, with the first tier being Oxford and Cambridge, the second tier being UCL, Imperial and LSE, and then the third tier with Manchester, Warwick, Leeds, etc.

Lol, I was at Warwick for a long time. I wouldn't put it in the same category as Manchester and Leeds (how dare you!). It was ranked 3rd, 4th and 5th by the national newspapers last year.

Both Nottingham and Leeds are two of the most popular universities in the country in terms of applications and they offer quite similar experiences. It doesn't really matter which one out of those two you go for. Choosing a Uni based on the course sturcture is a sensible decision, but maybe visting is also a good idea to get a feel for the places you're choosing.
Original post by asdfg0987

You're so cool.

Yah.
Original post by Gissing
Lol, I was at Warwick for a long time. I wouldn't put it in the same category as Manchester and Leeds (how dare you!). It was ranked 3rd, 4th and 5th by the national newspapers last year.

League tables are not the definitive ranking of universities, especially as each one of them varies with each other, and each year they show how volatile their listings can be.

How many Nobel Prize winners has Warwick produced? 0. How many have Leeds produced? 5. How many have Manchester produced? 25.

How much endowment does Warwick get? £4.9 million. How much does Leeds get? £42.3 million. How much does Manchester get? £127 million.

The hard facts speak for themselves. I'm not saying Warwick's worse than those universities, because it's not. I know, as a mathematics student, that Warwick's one of the top universities in the country for my subject. I'm just trying to say that Warwick, Manchester and Leeds are all in the same sort of overall league. The person deciding between these universities should look at their courses, location, and go to the one they prefer.
Reply 16
Don't get too hung up on which uni is 'better' for various things. There are so many opinions on it that there will never be a consensus. A good degree from a university with a solid reputation (Russell Group, 1994 Group INCLUDED in that) is worth more or less the same.
A first from Bristol sounds better than a 2:2 from Imperial anyway no?
It won't have a massive impact on your future. Choose a course you will enjoy and apply yourself to it.
Reply 17
My first reaction to Leeds is that it's a good university and anyone who went there probably has something about them.
Is there any point differentiating between Leeds and Sheffield in terms of their academic reputation as opposed to just basing it on preference of city?
Reply 19
Original post by Bobifier
My first reaction to Leeds is that it's a good university and anyone who went there probably has something about them.

Elaborate please :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest