The Student Room Group

Race row after woman told she is 'too dark' to be a Hobbit

Article.

A British woman of Pakistani origin was reportedly turned away from auditions for Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit in New Zealand on the basis that she was not white enough.

Naz Humphreys, who is 5ft tall, had travelled to Hamilton from Auckland last Tuesday in the hope of securing an extra role on Peter Jackson's forthcoming two-part adaptation of JRR Tolkien's classic fantasy tale. However, according to the Waikato Times, she was told after a three-hour wait that her skin tone made it unlikely she would be cast.

"It's 2010 and I still can't believe I'm being discriminated against because I have brown skin," Ms Humphreys told the Waikato Times. "The casting manager basically said they weren't having anybody who wasn't pale-skinned."

According to the newspaper, a video shows a film company representative telling the crowd: "We are looking for light-skinned people. I'm not trying to be whatever. It's just the brief. You've got to look like a hobbit."

Ms Humphreys, a social policy researcher, had travelled to New Zealand on a working holiday along with her husband, both of them being keen Lord of the Rings fans. She has now set up a Facebook page entitled "Hire Hobbits of all colours! Say No to Hobbit racism!"

"I would love to be an extra," said Ms Humphreys. "But it just seemed like a shame because obviously hobbits are not brown or black or any other colour. They all look kind of homogenised beige and all derived from the Caucasian gene pool.

"In 2010, a movie company should be representing all its viewers. It's not just going to be white people seeing The Hobbit, but people from all over the world."

Although I don't necessarily agree with the casting team issuing an outright blanket ban on extras who are not pale-skinned, I find her comments so inane. It just seems that as she failed to meet the appearance requirements and didn't get what she wanted, she is dropping the racism card.

The film industry should be entitled to discriminate on the basis of appearance to reasonably cast appropriately for a role.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Daily mail
Suck on my tail
Lets go for a sail
all the way to wales

Oh wait, its the Guardian *SNAP*

Edit:

I pull the Race card
Watch out for the Retard

I'm Stupid
In love with Cupid

I wanna be a Hobbit
But I can't top it

I'm not light
Don't be tight!

I'm a ass hole
Here comes the Dole!
(edited 13 years ago)
:rofl:
*looks for facebook page*

I thought they dropped 'the hobbit'?
Reply 3
It's like a white person being angry for not being cast in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or something :confused:
So silly! Never usually one to say this but she's definitely dropping the race card here.
Can't find the Facebook page :frown:

But yeah, it's a difficult one....either way they're not going to be able to please everyone. They'll either be told they're racist or that they've cast incorrectly :dontknow:
How is this requirement any different from sex, height and weight requirements?
Reply 6
That's ridiculous. Yeh, let's just change the whole ****ing backstory so one silly little woman can talk to her grandkids about how she was in the background of some ****ty sequel.
"It's 2010 and I still can't believe I'm being discriminated against because I have brown skin"
Stupid woman needs to shut up. They were after someone with pale skin. Big deal.

Typical "Look at me I'm being discriminated". No one cares, so **** off.
Reply 8
I'm sick of all this political correctness. I'm sorry but but there was no non whites in the lord of the rings so why should the hobbit be any different. It is based on Europe.
Nothing to be angry about it because it's the preference of the people holding the auditions and its their film and if the hobbit community is white then thats what they want...it's like if someone wanted to do a film on Ceaser then they're not likely to pick a person who is Oriental or Mexican or South East Asian looking...they would stick to a person who has their requirments In the same way you can't have a white skinned, blonde haired and blue eyed Indian Raja/King in a movie.
(edited 13 years ago)
my god - i totally understand where shes coming from. They discriminated against me when i went to be an extra as my ears werent pointed enough to be an elf, thats it im playing the ear card and being discriminated against because i have different shaped ears to be an elf, i was also discriminated against because i have a penis and i wanted to play Galadrial. How dare tehy discriminate against me because im a man? Luckily this is in new Zealand where they will tell her where to go, over here and they would be bending over backwards to include her probably replacing Bilbo for a more ethnically diverse cast.

tell the stupid bint to f off and get over herself. Its a fictional world.
Sucks to be her. At least she pulled the race card and had a good go at crying racism.

She just needs to wake up and realise she can't be a hobbit just like men cannot see their children after divorce, can't run in Race for life and cannot be employed by Avon.
Reply 12
**** ing racist hobbits. :mad:

Wait, did I misunderstand the story? :confused:
Reply 13
Yay I can't wait for The Hobbit :love:

And yes, she's being ridiculous.
They could've offered her the role of a goblin...
Reply 15
Well in that case, send me to the Othello auditions...
Reply 16
That's not fair, come on though I would not drop the racist card. I'm Paki myself and I wouldn't do it. I'd rather speak to whoever was in charge and ask him to reconsider.

Anyway, question:

Would James Bond still be James Bond if he was black or Asian?
Reply 17
Yeah I agree with you. You're allowed to 'discriminate' if it's for the purposes of the role. Like, once someone got told off for advertising for a 'zany asian presenter' for a science show, because it wasn't relevant to the role ie. science. But you're allowed to ask for a specific race if you want to portray people of that race.

And it's not even like she was told she couldn't audition, they just said it's unlikely she'd get it.
Darn kiwis n their rasisums.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska
That's ridiculous. Yeh, let's just change the whole ****ing backstory so one silly little woman can talk to her grandkids about how she was in the background of some ****ty sequel.

:fyi: Prequel actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending