The Student Room Group

Race row after woman told she is 'too dark' to be a Hobbit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
she should complain about miss saigon too, why the ****ing lead actress have to be asian... Should let caucasians play the role of a vietcong... lol
Original post by Poem boy
I'm sick of all this political correctness. I'm sorry but but there was no non whites in the lord of the rings so why should the hobbit be any different. It is based on Europe.

The Lord of the Rings is based on Europe and not Middle Earth? Well, I'll be damned.
Original post by HarryA
That's not fair, come on though I would not drop the racist card. I'm Paki myself and I wouldn't do it. I'd rather speak to whoever was in charge and ask him to reconsider.

Anyway, question:

Would James Bond still be James Bond if he was black or Asian?

and why is it not fair? Hobbits are white skinned she is brown skinned ergo she doesnt fit the role

and yes he would still be James Bond as I think it is now considered that James Bond is a name not a person
Original post by HarryA

Anyway, question:

I think Bond would be fine Black or Asian. He's a man who is reinvented every X years so people are okay with it, and the requirements for the role are to embody Britishness, wit, charm and good looks. Skin colour doesn't matter for Bond.
Reply 24
Original post by silverbolt
my god - i totally understand where shes coming from. They discriminated against me when i went to be an extra as my ears werent pointed enough to be an elf, thats it im playing the ear card and being discriminated against because i have different shaped ears to be an elf, i was also discriminated against because i have a penis and i wanted to play Galadrial. How dare tehy discriminate against me because im a man? Luckily this is in new Zealand where they will tell her where to go, over here and they would be bending over backwards to include her probably replacing Bilbo for a more ethnically diverse cast.

tell the stupid bint to f off and get over herself. Its a fictional world.

New Zealand's just as liberal as this country actually. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Original post by fire2burn
:fyi: Prequel actually.

Haha, damn you. :p:
she's being a bit of a prat. I couldn't go and audition for the role of native pakistani man because I'm a white woman I'm not going to go ape****e about it - that's life I'm afraid.
Because Lord of The Rings/Hobbit is a mythical tale then i would say yes, it outragous.

Unless your doing a historical film which you try to portray as accurate then maybe it's somewhat justified ie: Clint Eastwood's 'Flags of Our Fathers' & 'Letters From Iwo Jima'.
Original post by -Invidious-
How is this requirement any different from sex, height and weight requirements?

Exactly- it's like at the auditions in London for Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter) they were looking for an extremely pale, blond, slim girl, and about half the girls in the queue were tanned/ black/ asian/ obese and so on. It doesn't work like that...
Original post by HarryA
Anyway, question:

As long as he was still British (in nationality), then yes, I could see a black or Asian James Bond.

Original post by -Invidious-
How is this requirement any different from sex, height and weight requirements?

In short, this.
Original post by Cheofik

*sighs

im guessing dramatic exageration is too subtle to register with you.

And New Zealand is as liberal (which has nothing to do with I said) however its far less likely to capitulate to a whinging minority though - especially about something as stupid as this
Reply 31
Original post by Cheofik

lol! its liberal but is nowhere near as touchy about racism
they dont take political correctness anywhere near as far
they have very strict immigration policy, you must be able to bring something to the country, eg a good skill thats in need by the job sector, or enough money (normally lookign at a few hundred thousand dollars) to suport yourself and not end up on benefits
and, they still sing bah bah black sheep!
Reply 32
she's just being silly:console:
She is a moron.
Original post by Poem boy
I'm sick of all this political correctness. I'm sorry but but there was no non whites in the lord of the rings so why should the hobbit be any different. It is based on Europe.

Middle earth, a fantasy world, based on europe? I've yet to see trolls and dragons and orcs running around in europe, maybe im not looking hard enough:biggrin:
"A spokesman for the film-maker's company, Wingnut Films, said the offending crew member, an independent contractor, had been sacked. "It's something we take very seriously," he told AFP."

Hmm.

Well, this just makes me think of the film The Scorpion King. In that one, they took no care over ethnicity. The races that were and in and around Egypt probably didn't include Brits and Japanese/Chinese people, with the corresponding accents.
I think that's okay for a small kinda crappy movie. But if you want a big blockbuster movie, everyone has to look similar.

Like in Star Trek programmes and films, the Vulcans are of multiple races, but all have the same facial shape (the thin long face).

You have to have some way of saying "look, these people are all of the same race". Otherwise they aren't hobbits or vulcans. They are humans with hairy feet or pointy ears.
Original post by ash-corbett-collins
I think Bond would be fine Black or Asian. He's a man who is reinvented every X years so people are okay with it, and the requirements for the role are to embody Britishness, wit, charm and good looks. Skin colour doesn't matter for Bond.

You know, I cannot imagine Bond ever being anything but White British.

Perhaps that signifies and underlying opinion that only White people can embody "Britishness", perhaps though that my opinion of what it is to be British has been formed by the media portraying only white people as the embodiment of Britishness, for example John Cleese, Michael Caine etc...

Quite thought provoking.

The only (fictitious) example I can think of a non-white person that holds the traits of "Britishness" is Adrain Lester's character Michael "Mickey Bricks" Stone in Hustle, though I'm not sure he'd be a good cast for Bond.
Doesn't she know it is only when you are a star when they will considered changing race, sex of a role. It's an extra role... I don't understand why she's making a fuss.
Original post by mikeyd85
You know, I cannot imagine Bond ever being anything but White British.

Perhaps that signifies and underlying opinion that only White people can embody "Britishness", perhaps though that my opinion of what it is to be British has been formed by the media portraying only white people as the embodiment of Britishness, for example John Cleese, Michael Caine etc...

Quite thought provoking.

The only (fictitious) example I can think of a non-white person that holds the traits of "Britishness" is Adrain Lester's character Michael "Mickey Bricks" Stone in Hustle, though I'm not sure he'd be a good cast for Bond.

I remember there being a call for Colin Salmon to take the role of Bond before Craig did. A lot of people thought it'd be refreshing to have a black Bond.

The point to remember on British Bond is that Bond has on occasions been portrayed by non-Brits such as Lazenby and Brosnan.
Original post by ash-corbett-collins
I remember there being a call for Colin Salmon to take the role of Bond before Craig did. A lot of people thought it'd be refreshing to have a black Bond.

The point to remember on British Bond is that Bond has on occasions been portrayed by non-Brits such as Lazenby and Brosnan.

I don't know and of Colin's work tbh. I can't comment.

Lazenby I can give or take, Brosnan was the worst Bond we've ever had IMO. Saying that, I'm not convinced any actor could have made Brosnan's role decent. Those films were utter tripe (except Goldeneye, that was good).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending