The Student Room Group

Should I keep or change this UCAS choice?

I'm applying to study History and English this year, and decided to apply to Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling (for two courses) and Strathclyde, with grades AABBC. But, I've just had a look on Strathclyde university's website, and found that the entry requirements are higher than stated on their 2011 prospectus (they've gone up from AABB to AAAB). Is it worth me even applying there? Would they even consider my application seeing as I've met the requirements stated in their prospectus, or reject me since I don't have the grades on their website? I was originally deciding between Strathclyde and Edinburgh (but decided I didn't like the university), so should I change my choice and apply to Edinburgh instead (seeing as their requirements are lower at AABB)?
Original post by draconia_93
I'm applying to study History and English this year, and decided to apply to Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling (for two courses) and Strathclyde, with grades AABBC. But, I've just had a look on Strathclyde university's website, and found that the entry requirements are higher than stated on their 2011 prospectus (they've gone up from AABB to AAAB). Is it worth me even applying there? Would they even consider my application seeing as I've met the requirements stated in their prospectus, or reject me since I don't have the grades on their website? I was originally deciding between Strathclyde and Edinburgh (but decided I didn't like the university), so should I change my choice and apply to Edinburgh instead (seeing as their requirements are lower at AABB)?

Might not be the same for Scottish applicants, but I know that definitely from A-level applicants, Edinburgh often expect far higher predicted grades than they're actually offering. So they might ask for AABB, but might really expect AAAB or AAAA.

What are the other courses' requirements?
Reply 2
I think it's worth it. Grade requirements aren't always set in stone. If the rest of your application is good enough it might change their offer. Alternatively, they may give you an offer of AAAB.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
Might not be the same for Scottish applicants, but I know that definitely from A-level applicants, Edinburgh often expect far higher predicted grades than they're actually offering. So they might ask for AABB, but might really expect AAAB or AAAA.

What are the other courses' requirements?

Ah, so that might not be worth applying to either. :s-smilie: The other universities are all asking for BBBB, so I wanted to apply to Strathclyde as a high risk choice. So are you saying that I should rethink applying to either Strathclyde or Edinburgh, given that their requirements could be higher than stated?
Reply 4
Original post by kat2pult
I think it's worth it. Grade requirements aren't always set in stone. If the rest of your application is good enough it might change their offer. Alternatively, they may give you an offer of AAAB.

So they might consider my application if I have the grades stated in their prospectus?I'm taking another higher this year, so if I did get an A I would fulfil the requirements for over two sittings, but I'm not sure if I will. If I only had AABB when applying, would they maybe give me an offer based on my Advanced Highers instead of my Higher?
Ah, so that might not be worth applying to either. :s-smilie: The other universities are all asking for BBBB, so I wanted to apply to Strathclyde as a high risk choice. So are you saying that I should rethink applying to either Strathclyde or Edinburgh, given that their requirements could be higher than stated?

If your other choices are BBBB, I think you can afford Strathclyde or Edinburgh as a risky choice.
Reply 6
If your other choices are BBBB, I think you can afford Strathclyde or Edinburgh as a risky choice.

I still want to apply to Strathclyde, but do universities still consider you if your grades are below their updated requirements? That's what I'm worried about - I don't want to waste a choice by applying somewhere that wouldn't look at my application because I didn't have the entry requirements.
I still want to apply to Strathclyde, but do universities still consider you if your grades are below their updated requirements? That's what I'm worried about - I don't want to waste a choice by applying somewhere that wouldn't look at my application because I didn't have the entry requirements.

It varies between unis - some will discard on sight, some will have a 'margin of error' and will still look at grades within certain boundaries, some will look at every application then decide.

If you're worried about it (personally, I'd just apply and put it down as one out of five that has a higher chance of going wrong), phone Strathclyde and ask them. Say you only have AABBC, but tell them your other qualities that make you a good applicant and ask them if it's still worth applying or whether your application wouldn't be considered.
Reply 8
It varies between unis - some will discard on sight, some will have a 'margin of error' and will still look at grades within certain boundaries, some will look at every application then decide.

If you're worried about it (personally, I'd just apply and put it down as one out of five that has a higher chance of going wrong), phone Strathclyde and ask them. Say you only have AABBC, but tell them your other qualities that make you a good applicant and ask them if it's still worth applying or whether your application wouldn't be considered.

I've had another look at their website, and although it states the requirements as being AAAB, there's a note saying that:
" [no] Conditional Offers will be made to anyone attaining less than BBBB at the first sitting of Highers"
I think that means that they can be lenient with grades, but I'm going to contact them anyway to find out. Thanks for the advice! :biggrin:
I've had another look at their website, and although it states the requirements as being AAAB, there's a note saying that:
" [no] Conditional Offers will be made to anyone attaining less than BBBB at the first sitting of Highers"
I think that means that they can be lenient with grades, but I'm going to contact them anyway to find out. Thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

You're welcome - contacting them is definitely the best way to get an answer.

That does sound hopeful, though. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :smile:
You're welcome - contacting them is definitely the best way to get an answer.

That does sound hopeful, though. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :smile:

I sent Strathclyde's admissions an email, and they've came back today saying that they'd consider my application, but there's no guarantee of an offer. That was only after I'd told them the subjects I'd taken this year, so no doubt it'll be based on that. Sounds like I have a chance though, so I'm going to take the risk and apply there. :smile:
I sent Strathclyde's admissions an email, and they've came back today saying that they'd consider my application, but there's no guarantee of an offer. That was only after I'd told them the subjects I'd taken this year, so no doubt it'll be based on that. Sounds like I have a chance though, so I'm going to take the risk and apply there. :smile:

That's good news then - they can never guarantee an offer, but at least they haven't ruled you out.

Good luck with your application. :smile:
That's good news then - they can never guarantee an offer, but at least they haven't ruled you out.

Good luck with your application. :smile:

Ah, I suppose you're right. Hopefully they do give me an offer though. Thanks again - I'm giving you rep for your help! :smile:
Ah, I suppose you're right. Hopefully they do give me an offer though. Thanks again - I'm giving you rep for your help! :smile:

You're welcome. Thanks for the rep! :smile:

Always prefer to think of it like this: If you apply, you might get an offer. If you don't, you definitely won't. :wink:
You're welcome. Thanks for the rep! :smile:

Always prefer to think of it like this: If you apply, you might get an offer. If you don't, you definitely won't. :wink:

I think it worked, hope you received the rep. :tongue:

You're right - I should be thinking more positively about it. I'm really hoping that I get into Stirling though, fingers crossed I get an offer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending