The Student Room Group

Cupcake society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jennie1987
So did I but apparently I get negged for saying I like where they were going and giving a couple of ideas for the next batch while the person making sarccy comments gets nothing. I feel Ive been unjustly negged :sad:

I gave you a positive to balance it out. :smile: Thanks for the suggestions - it's the first time I've made any kind of cake with some kind of theme/picture so I was just messing around really! Whoever negged you.....well, feel happy you're a positive person and they're horribly grumpy and probably don't have any friends. :tongue:
Original post by *k.a.t.e*

Original post by *k.a.t.e*
I gave you a positive to balance it out. :smile: Thanks for the suggestions - it's the first time I've made any kind of cake with some kind of theme/picture so I was just messing around really! Whoever negged you.....well, feel happy you're a positive person and they're horribly grumpy and probably don't have any friends. :tongue:

:grin: aw thanks, you really made me smile! My sister made red velvet cake and choc/fudge cookies yesterday, I got the fun part of playing with the cookie dough to mould them - first time biscuits/cookies have worked out in our house! Guess I should stay away from the actual making in the future lol
Reply 242
Hello all, do any of you know where I can go about getting cup cakes made for me, as I am in need of some making ( Preferable The Birmingham area)

thanks in advance.
Hi everyone,

I'm having another dilemma. :sad:

When I want to add colouring to butter icing, to get it a bright colour I normally use about half the bottle, yet it's still not bright enough for what I want! - Does anyone know where to get, high quantity colouring from(If it exists)?

I hope that makes sense! - Thanks! :hugs:
Original post by Razzberry
Hi everyone,

I'm having another dilemma. :sad:

When I want to add colouring to butter icing, to get it a bright colour I normally use about half the bottle, yet it's still not bright enough for what I want! - Does anyone know where to get, high quantity colouring from(If it exists)?

I hope that makes sense! - Thanks! :hugs:

Are you using the liquid? I've used some food dye paste before. You mix in a little using a toothpick and it's meant to give pretty vivid colour.
Original post by laura-rad
Are you using the liquid? I've used some food dye paste before. You mix in a little using a toothpick and it's meant to give pretty vivid colour.

Yes, I'm using liquid! What's food dye paste? :shock: - I never knew about this, I'm so clueless in the baking world! Additionally, where would I be able to get my hands on some food dye paste?

Thanks! :hugs:
Yes, I'm using liquid! What's food dye paste? :shock: - I never knew about this, I'm so clueless in the baking world! Additionally, where would I be able to get my hands on some food dye paste?

Thanks! :hugs:

You need this stuff! You only need a tiny bit to get a bright colour ^_^.
Original post by Singularity

That's the one I used :smile:
Original post by Singularity

That's the one I used :smile:

I just ordered some food dye paste and edible glitter from there! - Everything on that website is very pretty, I'm so tempted to order their whole store! :tongue:

I hope they come soon, it was like £3 for delivery! (I'm a cheapskate and dislike delivery prices! :colondollar:)

Anyway, thank you very very much! :hugs:
I just ordered some food dye paste and edible glitter from there! - Everything on that website is very pretty, I'm so tempted to order their whole store! :tongue:

I hope they come soon, it was like £3 for delivery! (I'm a cheapskate and dislike delivery prices! :colondollar:)

Anyway, thank you very very much! :hugs:

What colour did you go for? I was going to buy some edible glitter, but then I thought I'd just put it on everything and have some sort of glitter overload :tongue:

PS: That rep comment was the most lovely comment I have ever received! Thank you! :hugs:
(edited 13 years ago)
What colour did you go for? I was going to buy some edible glitter, but then I thought I'd just put it on everything and have some sort of glitter overload :tongue:

PS: That rep comment was the most lovely comment I have ever received! Thank you! :hugs:

I chose hologram(I think it's called that) glitter as I thought it'd go with everything & I really love that rainbow kind of shine to it! :xmasgrin: - I've wanted edible glitter for ages, I really love the look of it! But I thought it would be easier to find as I thought it might be available in supermarkets, I was wrong though :sad:.

For the food dye paste, I chose green and pink. Pink because.. I like it! :xmasgrin:! Green because I'm going to attempt to make an Xmas tree cake(I'm a bit of an Xmas junky)! Although my attempt will probably fail!

I'll probably make a choccy cake, but instead of using a milk choccy ganache, I'm going to make it out of white choccy ganache and put green food dye paste in it. - I'm not sure if it'll work out, but hey! It's worth a try. :xmasgrin:

:xmas: Oh how I love this festive spirit! :xmas:
:bump:

Did anyone bake anything nice for Christmas?
:bump:

Did anyone bake anything nice for Christmas?

Actually, no. Grr. I was ill for most of it :frown: I did make some cute cookies in different holiday shapes though, a few weeks before Christmas :h: Unfortunately I have no pictures :frown:
Did you? :teeth:
Reply 253
how long do you think it would take to bake and ice 150 cupcakes? my boyfriends mums wedding cake maker has dropped out and i've been asked if i'd like to step in, the most i've ever made before was 24 for my niece's birthday party!!
Original post by sofee
how long do you think it would take to bake and ice 150 cupcakes? my boyfriends mums wedding cake maker has dropped out and i've been asked if i'd like to step in, the most i've ever made before was 24 for my niece's birthday party!!

Well if your oven is big enough, you can make 24 at a time. So that's 6-7 sets at 20 minutes each, but then you'll have to leave time of them to cool unless you have numerous wire racks. It'll take a lot of washing up of all the equipment :p:

The time to ice them will depend on what sort of icing you're going for I guess. If you did buttercream and a big swirl on top of the cakes, I'd give about 10 minutes for each set of 24. But my arm aches after awhile, so make sure you pipe onto a table rather than a worktop if you choose to pipe.

All in all, I'd say about 3.5-5 hours, but you might want a rest in the middle, and helpers to wash up. What sort of cupcakes were you thinking of? and what sort of design?
Reply 255
that's not as long as i thought actually! i haven't thought about design yet as it's not definite if i'm actually doing them, but it would really be down to the bride
Not exactly cupcakes, but I made macaroons the other day. A total disaster! I had to strain the mixture because it was like porridge :frown: And they went everywhere in the oven, but the taste is really nice :mmm:
Hi everyone :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone would like to help me!

Basically, for my dissertation I've created a website about cupcakes. I'm asking whether anyone who likes to bake cupcakes, either their own recipe creations or using someone elses, could PM me? And I'll tell you how you can help me with providing content for my website :biggrin:

How can you make one single cupcake, on it's own?
Original post by lizfairy
How can you make one single cupcake, on it's own?

Divide the ingredient quantities by how many cakes the recipe usually makes, and pour the batter into a single cupcake case?

Quick Reply

Latest