The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

I'm getting worried now.. I'm a scottish applicant with 720 Ukcat so would have thought that i might have got an interview. Lol. Have an scottish applicants got interviews yet?
Reply 301
Original post by calm_storms
I'm getting worried now.. I'm a scottish applicant with 720 Ukcat so would have thought that i might have got an interview. Lol. Have an scottish applicants got interviews yet?

I am in exactly the same position- Scottish applicant, 720 UKCAT. Don't worry, it's only November. (Just :tongue:)
Reply 302
Does anyone happen to know how Glasgow assesses our applications? Like:

Grades -> PS and Reference -> UKCAT -> Interview -> Offer
Pass ----> Pass -------------> Cut-off -> Pass ------> Offer

Or do they use a scoring system like Leeds?
Reply 303
Original post by Vulpes

Meet minimum grade requirements? UKCAT score above cut-off? => interview
Reply 304
Original post by Vulpes

Top 800 Ukcat ----> Interview -----> offer

The thing im worried about is how they choose who in the top 800 to interview when .. is it random or non scottish first or gap year or international ... I have got 665 so im assuming i should get an interview if people with 657.5 have got interviews ... but i haven't received a letter yet ... it may be because of the snow disrupting the royal mail since i live in london :frown:
Reply 305
Original post by G550NDH

The thing im worried about is how they choose who in the top 800 to interview when .. is it random or non scottish first or gap year or international ... I have got 665 so im assuming i should get an interview if people with 657.5 have got interviews ... but i haven't received a letter yet ... it may be because of the snow disrupting the royal mail since i live in london :frown:

Same worry hear. I've got 680 but I still haven't heard anything. Then again, I'm an international applicant so letters will take longer to arrive.

However, rejections don't seem to have come out yet so I'm worried there are other factors in the assessment process which I might have missed. Cause can someone with a UKCAT of 780 with grades AAB really be interviewed before someone with a UKCAT of 660 with grades A*AA?

So I was just wondering which step comes first in the assessment. UKCAT or grades? And if so, does anyone know the required grades to pass the assessment for 2011 entry?
Reply 306
Original post by Vulpes
Same worry hear. I've got 680 but I still haven't heard anything. Then again, I'm an international applicant so letters will take longer to arrive.

However, rejections don't seem to have come out yet so I'm worried there are other factors in the assessment process which I might have missed. Cause can someone with a UKCAT of 780 with grades AAB really be interviewed before someone with a UKCAT of 660 with grades A*AA?

So I was just wondering which step comes first in the assessment. UKCAT or grades? And if so, does anyone know the required grades to pass the assessment for 2011 entry?

As far as I am aware (according to Glasgow's own website) if you meet thier minimum grade requirements, that's all that matters in terms of getting an interview. An interview offer then depends soley on your UKCAT score. It seems ludicrous but there you are.
Original post by G550NDH

Er... I live in Essex and mine came, albeit 4 days after it was sent :/

Original post by huy
As far as I am aware (according to Glasgow's own website) if you meet thier minimum grade requirements, that's all that matters in terms of getting an interview. An interview offer then depends soley on your UKCAT score. It seems ludicrous but there you are.

Agreed. Who becomes dcotrs based on how you compare shapes and solve codes. It will so silly, and this is from someone who did well in it. :smile: Crazy money-making scheme. :smile:
Reply 308
Original post by laurencebaker1
Er... I live in Essex and mine came, albeit 4 days after it was sent :/

Agreed. Who becomes dcotrs based on how you compare shapes and solve codes. It will so silly, and this is from someone who did well in it. :smile: Crazy money-making scheme. :smile:

I don't think the UKCAT is bad in itself, the problem at the moment is that it's still fairly new and essentially in a test stage, and we are the guinea pigs. It is unfortunate that such an erratic test is partly responsible for selecting students.
i got 678 and am not a resident of Scotland so by logic probably should have got an interview,
however I live in extreme countryside (on a mountain:biggrin:) and the snow has stopped the post arriving at my house since friday!!

What should I do, should I ring/email the admissions office!?! im afraid of them getting annoyed at me perhaps bothering them over nothing.

Could anyone tell me if they know if all 800 interview have been sent out?? If they have i'd be tempted to ring them but if they wernt id be happy to stay patient.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Original post by huy
I am in exactly the same position- Scottish applicant, 720 UKCAT. Don't worry, it's only November. (Just :tongue:)

Oh cool. ye its hard tho when you see everyone posting that they have interviews.
What grades you got?
Original post by huy
I don't think the UKCAT is bad in itself, the problem at the moment is that it's still fairly new and essentially in a test stage, and we are the guinea pigs. It is unfortunate that such an erratic test is partly responsible for selecting students.

You could have worked for a year in a hospice, be head boy, dream of medicine at night, got 13 A*s at GCSE and 3 A*s at A-level and come to your exam, have a charming personality with an inspired story to tell... but because you cant compare shapes on a bad day with a blisering headache... you can't be a doctor at Barts Sheffield Glasgow Newcastle Durham King's... it's not right!
Reply 312
Original post by phill232
i got 678 and am not a resident of Scotland so by logic probably should have got an interview,
however I live in extreme countryside (on a mountain:biggrin:) and the snow has stopped the post arriving at my house since friday!!

What should I do, should I ring/email the admissions office!?! im afraid of them getting annoyed at me perhaps bothering them over nothing.

Could anyone tell me if they know if all 800 interview have been sent out?? If they have i'd be tempted to ring them but if they wernt id be happy to stay patient.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm in the basically the same situation as you and rang admissions this morning, they didn't help much I have to say, we just have to "sit tight" and wait. They can't penalise you for not coming to an interview you didn't know about can they? It's their own stupid fault for only sending interviews via post! What's wrong with email?!?!?!
Reply 313
Original post by calm_storms
Oh cool. ye its hard tho when you see everyone posting that they have interviews.
What grades you got?

A1111122 at standard grade/int 2, AAAAA at higher. I'm not worried, there's plenty of reasons that interview letters haven't been sent / reached us yet. :smile:

Original post by laurencebaker1
You could have worked for a year in a hospice, be head boy, dream of medicine at night, got 13 A*s at GCSE and 3 A*s at A-level and come to your exam, have a charming personality with an inspired story to tell... but because you cant compare shapes on a bad day with a blisering headache... you can't be a doctor at Barts Sheffield Glasgow Newcastle Durham King's... it's not right!

Exactly! Not much can be done, though, it's just another hoop that has to be jumped through. Perhaps more a test of an applicant's ability to deal with a great deal of pressure than anything else.
Original post by G550NDH

I live in london and have heard nothing...is this true? or just in certain areas...tbf, I haven't gotten any mail in a while....hmm...
Reply 315
Original post by infernalcradle
I live in london and have heard nothing...is this true? or just in certain areas...tbf, I haven't gotten any mail in a while....hmm...

Travel in Scotland at the moment is seriously restricted, it is very probable that the postal service is having problems delivering, even if conditions where you live are ok.
Reply 316
I only got my letter monday for interview on the 9th with par GCSE's and not great AS levels but UKCAT 680, so I reckon that they definitely pay alot more attention than they should to UKCAT.
Has anyone got any tips on the interview, what to look up apart from the course itself, sorts of questions that are asked etc.
Original post by Very.
I'm in the basically the same situation as you and rang admissions this morning, they didn't help much I have to say, we just have to "sit tight" and wait. They can't penalise you for not coming to an interview you didn't know about can they? It's their own stupid fault for only sending interviews via post! What's wrong with email?!?!?!

thank you
youre totally right
email is the only answer
but I think the decission to use post probably came from the incident this year where everyone with a hotmail email found their acknowledgement email in their junk folder and alot of candidates never recieved acknowledgement.
They cant penalise you for missing an interview you diddnt know about but even still im really apprehensive because everyone at my school got their letter for glasgow and I have the same UKCAT and exact same grades. I think that they should send everyone like us an email on request or at least be able to tell us over the phone
Original post by Shegg
I only got my letter monday for interview on the 9th with par GCSE's and not great AS levels but UKCAT 680, so I reckon that they definitely pay alot more attention than they should to UKCAT.
Has anyone got any tips on the interview, what to look up apart from the course itself, sorts of questions that are asked etc.

congrats on the interview
make sure you know PBL inside out and then the important generic questions like why medicine? im using ISC medical and I have to say its really good, im also reading a "very short guide to medical ethics" and Ill read up on the hippocratic oath as ill probably use it to back up any answer on ethics.
there are lots of questions but ive heard glasgow pannel is quite friendly and just want to see that you can give a good answer that dosent seem rehearsed but makes you look enthuastic!

good luck
Reply 319
just to clarify, everyone who's got one so far doesn't live in scotland? i know some people have asked, but there's not really been an answer as far as i can tell... bleugh, though i'm worrying either way. kind of hoped i'd get one with my ukcat though... eeeeeek, i hate this whole ucas process.

and yeah, i wouldn't worry about missing interviews, there's no way they they can penailse you for it if you didn't even know you had one. :smile:

Quick Reply