The Student Room Group

Oi Science! - find aliens and cure cancer

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101130/tsc-uk-britain-science-royalsociety-011ccfa.html

Around 53 percent said they would like science to enable them to extend their lifespan.

some might say that's already happened.

In terms of developing new vaccinations - after cancer, preventing HIV/AIDS was seen as important for 60 percent of the 2,000 people surveyed and with malaria 37 percent.

Unsuprisingly showing that we're a selfish species on the whole and care more about stuff that might kill us than stuff that's only going to kill poor people in Africa.
Reply 1

I'm shocked that less than half of Britons believe aliens exist, I would have expected this figure to be closer to 80%.
Aliens curing cancer? You've been watching too much V :P
Original post by Joinedup
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101130/tsc-uk-britain-science-royalsociety-011ccfa.html

Around 53 percent said they would like science to enable them to extend their lifespan.

You would be an utter moron not to say that has already happened.
Reply 4
And tomorrow's Daily Mail headline is...
Original post by bananaslug77
Aliens curing cancer? You've been watching too much V :P

Read the title properly.

It says, find aliens AND cure cancer. Two very different things that science is trying to achieve, not to make aliens cure cancer.
Original post by Joinedup

Unsuprisingly showing that we're a selfish species on the whole and care more about stuff that might kill us than stuff that's only going to kill poor people in Africa.

You do realise that Cancer actually kills more people globally than HIV and Malaria combined? And heart disease is the biggest killer of them all.
Reply 7
Original post by FattyInNeed
And tomorrow's Daily Mail headline is...

Naturally that was the very next place I looked for the straight dope on science.

it says (ahem) half the British public believe in aliens.

The daily mail headline for the day after will of course be 'we don't want alien scum here'
Reply 8
BTW academia now needs to respond to the will of the public of face draconian funding cuts... therefore if you have any sciencey admission interviews coming up you now know how to answer any questions about why you're interested in doing science.
The public (i.e. the majority) are fools.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
The public (i.e. the majority) are fools.

I agree.

Science, the media and the general public do not mix.
Reply 11
Original post by Greenlaner
You do realise that Cancer actually kills more people globally than HIV and Malaria combined? And heart disease is the biggest killer of them all.

Yeah I find it hard to believe but the WHO seems to say so - seems to me you need an autopsy to finger heart disease as a cause of death and many people in the world can't even get a trained health visitor when they're alive. As we're also told heart disease is a disease of affluent, sedentary first worlders who incedentally have autopsies done on them when they die rather than third worlders who just get buried in a hole when they 'die of old age' I wonder if someone's just extrapolating a bit too far.

Thing is 'biggest killer' isn't all that important if it;s killing old people. if you wiped heart disease off the face of the earth you'd just be buying them maybe a couple more years before something else bumped them off.
Fewer than one in ten believe space exploration should be a priority? Bloody people. Space exploration is the way forward. We could totally be living on Mars inside 100 years if people would get on with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending