The Student Room Group

should terrorist be tortured to save innocent lifes?

Or should i say should a terrorist be tourted for information that could safe your family member ?

if not

what rights do you think a terrorist should have ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We should tickle their balls until their weapon of mass destruction gets filled with blood and explodes.

They should have no rights - chop off penis and cook and make them eat.

In bun, with cheese, and extra bacon.
Reply 2
yes
Reply 3
Insert penis here:

Reply 4
Yes.
Reply 5
Original post by FattyInNeed
Insert penis here:

Meat with salmon? Eww.
Reply 6
Problem is, if we say yes than anyone could be tortured for informatiom under the guise of being a terroist.
Original post by blackknight
Or should i say should a terrorist be tourted for information that could safe your family member ?

if not

what rights do you think a terrorist should have ?

:smile:A person suspected of being a terrorist should be arrested, charged and tried like every other suspected criminal. They should not be tortured.

Also please define terrorist.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Only if you can define the difference between what is acceptable and what is torture?
Reply 9
Without even contemplating the horrific implications of allowing your state to torture whoever it likes, and the moral issues thereof, torture won't always produce reliable results and aids enemy recruitment. Its a terrible idea.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Blondshavemorefun
:smile:A person suspected of being a terrorist should be arrested, charged and tried like every other suspected criminal. They should not be tortured.
What if they're 'tortured' like every other criminal?
Original post by Renal
What if they're 'tortured' like every other criminal?

:tongue:That could work. lol
Reply 12
Original post by nexttime
Without even contemplating the horrific implications of allowing your state to torture whoever it likes, and the moral issues thereof, torture doesn't produce reliable results and aids enemy recruitment. Its a terrible idea.
I've never seen any reliable evidence for this much touted 'fact'.

Surely, if this were the case, the police forces, intelligence agencies and militaries that use it will know this better than the left-wing, and presumably can work around it.

Further, if we assume that asking people questions under torture doesn't work, why do we assume that asking people questions not under torture works any better?
Reply 13
The previous posters who said yes are absolute savages. No to torture in all cases.

You do realise that people confess to anything just to stop the pain right? And even if this was not the case, I would still fully abhor this barbarous act.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Renal

Surely, if this were the case, the police forces, intelligence agencies and militaries that use it will know this better than the left-wing, and presumably can work around it.

Further, if we assume that asking people questions under torture doesn't work, why do we assume that asking people questions not under torture works any better?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'work around it'. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work...

To your final point, why is that even relevant? If torture doesn't work, it's irrelevant that not torturing also doesn't work. We may as well proceed in the manner that's least horrible and immoral. That is, not torturing.
Reply 15
Yeah sure, wack out the stretching rack and hot irons.

:rolleyes:
Reply 16
What happens when your the terrorist to another nation?
Reply 17
I read that in Guantanamo Bay, suspects would be forced to listen to artists like Britney Spears over and over again LOL no-one deserves that!
Reply 18
Original post by Renal

Indeed - i doubt any reliable evidence can exist in such an area to prove it one way or another. I don't necessarily submit to the view that 'the intelligence forces do it so it must be the best thing for us' view though either.

I suppose the point is that its not a case of 'torture and get accurate, up to date information' - its more complicated than that. I'll edit my post accordingly.
Reply 19
If there is valid proof that they are indeed guilty, and they're witholding information that could potentially save lives, then I don't have a problem with it.

Yes, you can argue that the government can use this as a guise to torture whoever they want and claim that there was sufficient 'proof' at the time. If they don't, you can argue the government didn't do enough to fight crime, and let people die, and aren't fighting the war on terrorism.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending