The Student Room Group

FML - the only deodorant I'm not allergic to gives me asthma attacks

I have incredibly sensitive skin, and I'm allergic to nearly all deodorants. All of the ones you can buy on the shelves, including ones made for hypersensitive people, and then most of the ones I was recommended are good for people with sensitive skin.

Then, by some chance, I found one I'm not - hurrah!

However, I've been having a lot of asthma attacks recently. I've had asthma for years, but never really had many attacks, so this was quite strange. A few days ago, I forgot to put this deodorant one, and didn't have an asthma attack. Was curious, so I haven't put any on today ... and so, no attack. Now I think about it, they did start at around the same time I started to use this stuff.

It would appear that the only deodorant that doesn't irritate my skin also gives me asthma attacks, and it doesn't come in any other form so that I could try that and see if it makes a difference (it's a roll-on stick.) I'm not made of money, I can't afford to have a new inhaler every few days and anyway, not being able to breathe isn't the most pleasant of sensations.

So, it's be smelly or be unable to breathe. Which one do you even choose!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ever thought life just isn't for you?

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Broderss
Ever thought life just isn't for you?

Sometimes I wonder if someone up there has some vendetta against me...
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I have incredibly sensitive skin, and I'm allergic to nearly all deodorants. All of the ones you can buy on the shelves, including ones made for hypersensitive people, and then most of the ones I was recommended are good for people with sensitive skin.

Have you tried Bionsen's roll-on ? (you should be able to get it from Boots)
OP have you been to your doctors about this?
Reply 5
Original post by ttx
Have you tried Bionsen's roll-on ? (you should be able to get it from Boots)

Tried it.
Reply 6
Original post by insignificant
OP have you been to your doctors about this?

Yes. It was a very good use of my time in which they told me I have extremely sensitive skin, and to avoid things that irritate it. :mad:
Yes. It was a very good use of my time in which they told me I have extremely sensitive skin, and to avoid things that irritate it. :mad:

You need to go back and say that you've tried avoiding things that irritate your skin but its decreasing your quality of life affecting you emotionally/socially and you want to be referred to a dermatologist to find out what it is specifically that you are allergic to and what alternatives are open to you, because you can't live your life like that, and they can't just turn you away.
Inject some botox into your armpits. No under-arm sweat, no deoderant required.

Although the downside is you might start sweating profusely out of your hands.
Reply 9
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Inject some botox into your armpits. No under-arm sweat, no deoderant required.

Although the downside is you might start sweating profusely out of your hands.

At least I can keep washing my hands off...

It's something to consider - thanks!
Reply 10
You need to go back and say that you've tried avoiding things that irritate your skin but its decreasing your quality of life affecting you emotionally/socially and you want to be referred to a dermatologist to find out what it is specifically that you are allergic to and what alternatives are open to you, because you can't live your life like that, and they can't just turn you away.

This was a dermatologist.
This was a dermatologist.

Are you KIDDING?? What the?? They cant just do that to you!
Reply 12
Are you KIDDING?? What the?? They cant just do that to you!

They ran tests that came up with a long list of things that irritate my skin, so that you can't possibly avoid all of them. They told me to avoid the things that really irritate it, protect against others (eg, wear gloves when washing up) and they'll prescribe me creams that will alleviate the lesser ones.

Unfortunately, all the deodorants apart from this asthma-inducing one fall within the really irritate category, and the creams don't help.
Have you tried using one without aluminium chlorohydrate in?
Reply 14
Tell your doctor and ask about aluminium chloride antiperspirant.
Its available on prescription :smile:
Reply 15
Have you tried using one without aluminium chlorohydrate in?

Original post by AX21
Tell your doctor and ask about aluminium chloride antiperspirant.
Its available on prescription :smile:

Had it.
what about the kind of natural deodoranty sticks you get in lush?
Ice cubes or tissue under your arm pits, or those flowery natural deodorant stick like above.
Reply 18
Original post by pink_flower
what about the kind of natural deodoranty sticks you get in lush?

Tried it. That was one of the worst, ironically.
Reply 19
Original post by Awesomesauce
Ice cubes or tissue under your arm pits, or those flowery natural deodorant stick like above.

I dance and giggle when I put deodorant on, I don't think ice cubes are going to work. :p: And surely tissues would only absorb the sweat, they wouldn't actually help the smell?

And, like I say, the natural deodorant sticks from places like Lush were some of the worst ones I tried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending