The Student Room Group

Private but effective excersize?

Does anyone have any suggestions of excersize I can do that will effectively help me to burn calories, stay healthy and maybe even lose a bit of weight, but that don't involve being seen by anyone at all?!

That may seem like a bizarre request, but I've realised I must look all kinds of stupid doing any form of excersize - I have tried going to the gym, jogging, and going swimming but in each case I have got funny looks from people. And I'm afraid I'm not one of those people who can just 'ignore it'; I must be pretty weak-minded because it really gets to me. Which is a shame, because I enjoy excersize, especially swimming, until I'm reminded of how strange or bad I look by getting odd looks from people. I wouldn't be so fussed if it was just a one off, or on a few occaisions...but its been pretty much every time. I think it must be to do with how I look generally rather than how I look specifically when excersizing, as I get funny looks while walking down the street too, but obviously this is something that can't be avoided so I just have to deal with it.

But excersize CAN be avoided, and I have been avoiding it for longer than I should have because of this, and I realise I need to change! So, some suggestions of effective aerobic and toning excersizes I can do in the privacy of my own room, would be great. (I live in a poky student house on a poky student budget, so home gym equipment and excersize videos are pretty impractical!)
Maybe you should address your crippling paranoia first? Nobody is looking at you.
Masterbating?
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Maybe you should address your crippling paranoia first? Nobody is looking at you.

You have no idea how much I wish this was true! Even if it is (I'm aware perception is subjective, etc...I just can't seem to apply this to my own experience and sense of self!) I'd have no idea how to 'address' crippling paranoia, anyway :/
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
Masterbating?

Obviously I do this! Doesn't really burn up the calories though, if anything its given me a slightly beefier left arm :P
So in addition to my original post - Private, effective excersize other than regular masturbation and sex at least once a week. Because I'm not exactly getting my reccomended 30 minutes a day :O (of excerisize, that is!)
I have actually heard people in the gym whispering and laughing to thier mates about the 'whale' on the treadmill (she wasn't even that fat!) and the nasty sweaty **** on the excersize bike (these examples weren't talking about me; obviously they were gossiping about people out of earshot - but I think that they illustrate that people DO look, and people DO judge, and thats not neccessarily a bad thing, we all do it. But I'd like to find a way to still get a healthy amount of excersize without being subjected to this. Unrealsitic? Maybe :/

No, no it isn't. Go back and read the original post. In which I ask people of ways to do some excersize.
Running on the spot
Starjumps
Skipping rope
Running up and down stairs
Workout video things
Weights
Situps/Crunches
Dancing

etc..
Sybian
Reply 8
Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty
I have actually heard people in the gym whispering and laughing to thier mates about the 'whale' on the treadmill (she wasn't even that fat!) and the nasty sweaty slag on the excersize bike (these examples weren't talking about me; obviously they were gossiping about people out of earshot - but I think that they illustrate that people DO look, and people DO judge, and thats not neccessarily a bad thing, we all do it. But I'd like to find a way to still get a healthy amount of excersize without being subjected to this. Unrealsitic? Maybe :/

No, no it isn't. Go back and read the original post. In which I ask people of ways to do some excersize.

people LOOK and JUDGE everywhere you go, uni, clubs, etc ..

are you going to become a recluse now?
Original post by OceanInTheSky
Running on the spot
Starjumps
Skipping rope
Running up and down stairs
Workout video things
Weights
Situps/Crunches
Dancing

etc..

Most helpful! Thanks :smile:

Original post by commandant
Sybian

I would love one of those. Like, so much. Xmas list? Hmmm.

Original post by f1re
people LOOK and JUDGE everywhere you go, uni, clubs, etc ..

are you going to become a recluse now?

Its pretty tempting. To be fair most days I really have to psycologically build myself up before leaving the house. People with eyes terrify me, lol. I know I know thats probably an indicator of some degree of mental illness :/
this.
Me. What a sap, eh.

I think I probably do, which is why I get so upset about being looked at and judged. It would be nice not to be able to be like this. I don't know how to though.

To be fair, I'm just basing this assumption on the excersize vids I used to do with my mom when I lived at home - a Rosemary Conley one and a Davina Mcall one (because I'm THAT cool :cool:) ...and they involved using quite a bit of space...side stepping and vine stepping or whtever it is called, striding forward and backward and whatnot. There are probably some out there that don't involve as much throwing yourself around, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest