The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soutioirsim
Im totally ****ed.

Have you heard from hertford yet?

EDIT: Im really ****ing screwed... :frown:

Nope nothing from Hertford. I am the one who is ****ing screwed, I dont think I even attempted 71% of the questions, let alone got them right
Reply 1261
Original post by watchthis
Yes, the 'Report on Physics Aptitude Test 2010' accompanied my rejection letter, and it basically says marks ranged from 16-97, with a mean mark of 66 and standard deviation of 14. So they decided that all applicants scoring 71 and above were short-listed.
I thought the cut-off mark was quite high as well, but oh well, good luck :smile:

'' Our primary short-listing criterion is the total mark achieved on the tests, which ranged from 4 to 94, with a mean mark of 46 and a standard deviation of 16. More details are shown in the graph which plots the cumulative rank of candidates scoring a certain mark. All applicants scoring 47 and above were then short- listed.''

considering that this one has a s.d larger than this year, it would have to mean that oxford are interviewing a lot less than like 40-45% of the applicants this year....
it would have to be at most 25-30% as a rough estimate (maybe even as low as 15%>)... which seems pretty harsh, they didn't have that many more applicants compared with this year (1019 in 2010, from 971 this year)......

anyone know the reason for this?
Has anyone heard from Balliol?

Does anyone know if they've even posted the letters?
Reply 1263
Sorry if this looks like a horrid attempt to make you guys feel worse, but i got an interview, and I am almost certain I did not get that many marks.
Original post by Bunkd
That is ghastly. Everyone on here seems to think they have between 50-60 (myself included). Who are all these genii with >71% ??
It's also remarkable that you seem to be the only one with this document :holmes:

I know 71! I think I got about 50 and I was happy with that.
I don't know, it seems like I'm the only one who's got rejected! Or maybe it was an easy decision for them probably because I was a weak applicant or something, I'm not quite sure.
Reply 1265
Jesus 71% ru kidding me?!
I know 71! I think I got about 50 and I was happy with that.
I don't know, it seems like I'm the only one who's got rejected! Or maybe it was an easy decision for them probably because I was a weak applicant or something, I'm not quite sure.

No I did too. :frown: And I don't think I was weak in other areas - I just say congratulations to those who obviously did better! I take my hat off to people who do it :wink:
Original post by kttt101
'' Our primary short-listing criterion is the total mark achieved on the tests, which ranged from 4 to 94, with a mean mark of 46 and a standard deviation of 16. More details are shown in the graph which plots the cumulative rank of candidates scoring a certain mark. All applicants scoring 47 and above were then short- listed.''

considering that this one has a s.d larger than this year, it would have to mean that oxford are interviewing a lot less than like 40-45% of the applicants this year....
it would have to be at most 25-30% as a rough estimate (maybe even as low as 15%>)... which seems pretty harsh, they didn't have that many more applicants compared with this year (1019 in 2010, from 971 this year)......

I know, surely if they are interviewing 490 out of 1019, then surely the cut off should be close to the mean mark (66, not 71)? This year does seem really intense, I'm worried about the interview now, there's going to be a real battle for places... :frown:
Original post by kttt101

It says they will be interviewing about 490, out of 1013. Thats about 48%. So they are still interviewing the same number of applicants.
Reply 1269
Original post by soutioirsim
Same, i feel like **** now :frown:

EDIT: If hes talking crap I feel a lot of neg coming his way..

More than that I shall be personally paying him a visit and making him an offer which cannot be refused :mad:
Do you think the 71% cut off mark is the same for Physics and Philosophy, or are they being slightly more lax with that, in case all the PhysPhil-ers did really badly? I'm probably just being hopeful...
Original post by pianofluteftw
No I did too. :frown: And I don't think I was weak in other areas - I just say congratulations to those who obviously did better! I take my hat off to people who do it :wink:

Yeah, good luck to those who have interviews.
Did you by any chance, receive the same documents as I have?
Reply 1272
Original post by Koranzite
I know, surely if they are interviewing 490 out of 1019, then surely the cut off should be close to the mean mark (66, not 71)? This year does seem really intense, I'm worried about the interview now, there's going to be a real battle for places... :frown:

yeah exactly. the thing is, there shouldn't be a significantly bigger battle than last year. there are only about 50 more applicants and the same number of places.. it seems bizarre that they've decided to drastically cut down the number of interviews.... i cant think why.
Reply 1273
It says they will be interviewing about 490, out of 1013. Thats about 48%. So they are still interviewing the same number of applicants.

that's pretty much statistically impossible for the mean mark to be 66, the s.d to be 14 and for 48% of applicants to have got a mark of 71<

i mean, i know they interview a couple which don't get the cut off mark.. but its a tiny tiny proportion
Original post by kttt101
yeah exactly. the thing is, there shouldn't be a significantly bigger battle than last year. there are only about 50 more applicants and the same number of places.. it seems bizarre that they've decided to drastically cut down the number of interviews.... i cant think why.

Ah, but if all the interview candidates have achieved over 71 in the PAT, then there's going to be some seriously good physicists competiting for only 190 places...
Reply 1275
I just got invited to an interview at Mansfield, I applied to Magdalen but apparently they don't want me.
Reply 1276
Original post by Koranzite
Ah, but if all the interview candidates have achieved over 71 in the PAT, then there's going to be some seriously good physicists competiting for only 190 places...

yeah definitely, it would be a massive jump from last year where less than 15% of the applicants got 71 :frown:
Reply 1277
Yes, the 'Report on Physics Aptitude Test 2010' accompanied my rejection letter, and it basically says marks ranged from 16-97, with a mean mark of 66 and standard deviation of 14. So they decided that all applicants scoring 71 and above were short-listed.
I thought the cut-off mark was quite high as well, but oh well, good luck :smile:

Where did you find the Report on Physics Aptitude Test 2010? I thought feedback on application didn't come until January.

Can you upload the report, please?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1278
Just recieved a rejection!
:confused:

:eek:

:mad:

:cool:

Good luck for those who have interviews!
Original post by bl0b
Just recieved a rejection!
:confused:

:eek:

:mad:

:cool:

Good luck for those who have interviews!

Bad luck man :frown: I'll be joining you soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending