The Student Room Group

a-levels needed for law at uni

Hello, i am currently choosing my options for 6th form, and i was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice about what a-levels would be suitable for studying law at university. I was thinking of doing: History,Law,Sociology and Art. And i think i would drop art (so only do an AS) would these be good choices or would i be better taking other subjects?
Thankyou x
Reply 1
Avoid art at all costs. Law and Sociology aren't great choices either. Try Politics, English Lit, Economics, a language, Maths as a replacement for those two :smile: .
Reply 2
Don't take art. It's not an academic subject and may not even be counted to do law. Sociology is also not great, but if you did it with some good subjects it would be fine. History and Law are both good. Keep them. English is good, and so is maths. Government and Politics can also be a good one, and languages are also good for law. So, I suggest getting rid of art and sociology and replacing them with 2 others.
Reply 3
As a general rule DO NOT take anything that involves performing unless you are wishing to do it as a course involving performing at university. Also avoid anything with studies on the end if your are serious about going to university.

Do you not take 5 options at your college?
Reply 4
Thanks for all the advice, and to answer someone's question, no, you only take 4 subjects at my college and then usually drop one of them for the second year, so you end up with 1 AS and 3 A-levels
x
Reply 5
You could do with picking 4 choices that you could keep on the full A level most people have 4 and while I'm not saying you'd be disadvantaged by only having three... [insert own conclusion]

History is good, philosophy is a strong choice if you fancy it, politics, Religious studies, English Lit, and then a science or maths (psychology is acceptable as far as I'm concerned)
Original post by julietx
Hello, i am currently choosing my options for 6th form, and i was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice about what a-levels would be suitable for studying law at university. I was thinking of doing: History,Law,Sociology and Art. And i think i would drop art (so only do an AS) would these be good choices or would i be better taking other subjects?
Thankyou x

Most of your options sound ok. Im nt sure about law though. Quite a few unis accept it but most unis arent that keen on it. Id maybe take something like economics or a language instead.
Original post by ollie51
As a general rule DO NOT take anything that involves performing unless you are wishing to do it as a course involving performing at university. Also avoid anything with studies on the end if your are serious about going to university.
Do you not take 5 options at your college?

Is Religious Studies a solid, respected subject for law though? Or does it fall under the "studies" rule?
Reply 8
Original post by HowToSaveALife
Is Religious Studies a solid, respected subject for law though? Or does it fall under the "studies" rule?

I'd avoid it.
Reply 9
Now I think that is the one exception although it is in the middle if you like, I'd certainly recommend Economics or something similar.

And i'm pretty sure Sociology would be better replaced by Philosophy.

So ideally you would take:

Law, History, Economics and Philosophy.

That's 3 strong options and one middling in Oxbridge's view.
Reply 10
Original post by ollie51
Now I think that is the one exception although it is in the middle if you like, I'd certainly recommend Economics or something similar.

And i'm pretty sure Sociology would be better replaced by Philosophy.

So ideally you would take:

Law, History, Economics and Philosophy.

That's 3 strong options and one middling in Oxbridge's view.

I doubt they'd be too hot on Law and Philosophy, if she replaced one of those with English Lit then I'd say fair game.
Original post by Bellrosk
I doubt they'd be too hot on Law and Philosophy, if she replaced one of those with English Lit then I'd say fair game.

Only two Universities have said that they viewed Law as a 'less favourable' A level when preparing to study law. Neither of those universities were Oxbridge.
Reply 12
Original post by JohnC2211
Only two Universities have said that they viewed Law as a 'less favourable' A level when preparing to study law. Neither of those universities were Oxbridge.

Yeah but for such an oversubscribed and popular course surely you'd want to place yourself in good steed? Taking a subject that has been seen to be a soft option (as compared to Lit which is definitely not) may work against you. With Law you don't want anything to work against you!
Yeah but for such an oversubscribed and popular course surely you'd want to place yourself in good steed? Taking a subject that has been seen to be a soft option (as compared to Lit which is definitely not) may work against you. With Law you don't want anything to work against you!

That's my point. Only 2 universities (LSE and UCL I think, not entirely sure) have said they consider (in not so many words) Law to be a 'soft' option. So it will not 'work against you'. Besides, even if it were to work against you, so long as you back up the Law A level with something like English Lit and History would still stand you in good stead.
Reply 14

Philosophy is a favorable subject, Law is dependent on which uni, so as a general rule it's classed as a neither favorable nor soft.
Reply 15
It doesn matter what A levles you do, you cna get into Law on any levels providing they are fairly academic. A fairly good set of choices i would say are: Further maths or maths, English Lit, History, and a language German or something
Reply 16
Original post by JohnC2211
That's my point. Only 2 universities (LSE and UCL I think, not entirely sure) have said they consider (in not so many words) Law to be a 'soft' option. So it will not 'work against you'. Besides, even if it were to work against you, so long as you back up the Law A level with something like English Lit and History would still stand you in good stead.

Yeah but the fact that two reputable and competitive institutes have said this indicates that they're not as highly thought of as say History, Eng Lit etc (which no university has never declared to be a soft option). Even though other universities haven't publically advised against it, doesn't mean they don't think it and I'm sure sentiments don't vary a great deal between universities.

I guess it comes down to the University the OP wishes to attend, for Oxbridge, LSE, UCL Durham etc, I'd advise against both Law and Philosophy.
Reply 17
Original post by julietx
Thankyou x

hey :smile: i'd say they are good choices as long as you will enjoy them! I did Law at A Level and loved it so I wanted to take it further at degree level! :smile: Bare in mind the only two universities that don't like you to take law are LSE and Manchester.

good luck with what you choose :smile:
Reply 18
thank you for all the feedback, it has really helped! x
Reply 19
Don't take Law. Exeter for one don't like it (the admissions tutor went so far as to say they wouldn't accept it when she did a talk at our school... though this was a few years ago granted).

Art, though it's one of the most work-heavy subjects, would be best as a 4th option.

Quick Reply

Latest