The Student Room Group

Is bullfighting the sickest spectacle on earth?

I've been researching Spanish culture for Spanish class and I came across a bullfight on YouTube. If you skip to 5:05 in the vid, you'll see the ending for the bull isn't swift but rather torture! I used to think of bullfighting as just a cultural difference, but surley this sort of macabre torture can't be allowed in the 21st century, not in Europe anyhow.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDWjPdCCTs&feature=related

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, it's amazing. Animals do not get human morals applied to them.
Original post by mis-shapes

They still feel pain and can suffer. So it's ok to torture them for fun?
Reply 3
Bit one sided...
Reply 4
It's not overly pleasant, but I've seen worse.

I'd prefer if more people were involved in a slightly different version of the tradition. The bull isn't harmed at all, the guys just jump over it when it runs at them.
Much more impressive and humane.
I think public stoning has to be up there, I'm afraid.
Absolutely disgusting. I made a thread about this a while ago (i was also doing research for spanish :biggrin:) That has to be one of the most horrible things ive seen.
Reply 7
Cultural relativism aside, I feel there must be something inherently wrong with you to find pleasure out of the pain and suffering of another living being.
Reply 8
Original post by MagnificentFuhrer
I've been researching Spanish culture for Spanish class and I came across a bullfight on YouTube. If you skip to 5:05 in the vid, you'll see the ending for the bull isn't swift but rather torture! I used to think of bullfighting as just a cultural difference, but surley this sort of macabre torture can't be allowed in the 21st century, not in Europe anyhow.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDWjPdCCTs&feature=related

That's sick, torture, simple as that. It's probably culture to them, but such barbaric practices are better left in the past, PLEASE. Disgusting, shame to the human race.
Reply 9
No, Ann Widdecombe on Strictly is.

Thats a horrible and ridiculous thing to say. Would it be ok if i got my pet dog and smacked its head open with a cricket bat, just for my enjoyment?
Reply 11
Original post by MagnificentFuhrer
They still feel pain and can suffer. So it's ok to torture them for fun?

There is nothing wrong with what is being done to the bull. Torture is a stupid term to use, I wouldn't agree with burning a dog alive for instance - but hunting a fox or bullfighting is fine imo.
Reply 12
When I went to France we watched a bullfight but it was where the bulls weren't actually physically damaged with spears or anything, the guys were more running around the place. However, I find serious bullfighting sick and I can't believe people actually enjoy watching bulls getting speared at and stabbed at for pleasure.
:frown: ******* hell. You can tell in the bulls' face that's it's really suffering. It looks like it's crying at 5:23 :frown:

What pathetic people they are for having that barbarity as a culture.
typical british arrogance
It's disgusting. Enough rubbish about how animals aren't equal to humans, what a stupid thing to say. Would you like it if your pets were treated this way? The only good thing is if a bull decides to get its on back. I really hope they abolish bullfighting.
(edited 13 years ago)
There is nothing wrong with what is being done to the bull. Torture is a stupid term to use, I wouldn't agree with burning a dog alive for instance - but hunting a fox or bullfighting is fine imo.

Whats the difference between me burning a dog for fun and me killing a fox or a bull?
Why is the one species regarded higher than the other? They all feel pain dont they?
No animal should be harmed like that for enjoyment.

torture –noun
1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2. a method of inflicting such pain.
3. Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
5. a cause of severe pain or anguish.

Now tell me how that isnt torture?
Original post by AntiMonarchist
typical british arrogance

And where is the British arrogance exactly? :rolleyes:
Reply 18
deal with it conkerfights are even more brutal those little conkers get mutilated.
:frown:

What happened to that bull was sick. Your logic is really twisted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending