The Student Room Group

Housemates arguing over heating.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Those two people with electric heaters are *****. It's completely unfair. Although I seriously don't see the big deal if you just turn on the gas heating on instead. It'd probably cost exactly the same and the whole house will be warmer.
Original post by smilee172
Exactly what the thermostat is for.

True, but if their student house is anything like ours is then the boiler's probably broken. Our timer is screwed and we have to manually turn the heating on and off and we certainly don't have a thermostat! :P
We had a different problem, I wanted us to be economical with the heating but there was one lad who aggressively insisted on it being on even when it didn't need to be. He would go "FFS man, we don't live in a Third World Country, I'm not sitting in the cold because you're a tightarse".

When the bill came in, he said he didn't have the money to pay it then, I'd have to ask for him later. I kept asking every week or so and he never had it, once or twice he paid about £20 or so, in the end he just blew up and said "FFS man, does your life revolve around f--ing money all the time, f--- off"

He still owes me about £230, but that was for various different bills over the whole year plus he defaulted on part of his rent and our deposits got kept.
Original post by MagicNMedicine

We had a different problem, I wanted us to be economical with the heating but there was one lad who aggressively insisted on it being on even when it didn't need to be. He would go "FFS man, we don't live in a Third World Country, I'm not sitting in the cold because you're a tightarse".

When the bill came in, he said he didn't have the money to pay it then, I'd have to ask for him later. I kept asking every week or so and he never had it, once or twice he paid about £20 or so, in the end he just blew up and said "FFS man, does your life revolve around f--ing money all the time, f--- off"

He still owes me about £230, but that was for various different bills over the whole year plus he defaulted on part of his rent and our deposits got kept.

What a bellend that guy sounds like!
Heaters cost more then the central heating. I've had a similar problem before, but it was me who didn't want it on 24 hours a day, when the person putting it on would walk around in very little clothing and go out for hours leaving it on when noone was even in.
You should all sit down and talk about it, or it could grow into a much bigger thing than it is. There must be a compromise somewhere.
my housemates refused to put the heating on aswell so i got my mum to buy me a portable heater which i use wen they dont put it on, i have the coldest room in the house so wat they dont know wont hurt them
Original post by wannabeteacher
my housemates refused to put the heating on aswell so i got my mum to buy me a portable heater which i use wen they dont put it on, i have the coldest room in the house so wat they dont know wont hurt them

Lol sneaky, I'd do the same if I was in that position. My health and well-being are more important than a couple of 100 pounds.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by babygirl110
Lol sneaky, I'd do the same if I was in that position. My health and well-being is more important than a couple of 100 pounds.

Well if you agree with your housemates that you will pay the extra portion of the electricity bill then thats fair enough. Unless your plan was to hide it so that they pay for you to be warm while they're cold.
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
There must be a compromise somewhere.

Unfortunately, when the basic situation is that there is one or more people in the house, who are out to get what they can and screw everybody else over, they will always win in any negotiation. When it comes down to it they can just refuse to pay when the bill comes. The utility companies will come for whoever's on the bill, they don't care about the fairness of it, they just want their bill paid.
The whole ban on central heating is idiotic in my opinion. Temperatures out there are below minus 0 degrees, people could literally freeze to death in their homes. Surely life and health is worth more than a measly couple of 100 quid.

Those little electric heaters will also end up costing you way more than the gas would have.

yeah I think it would be pretty impossible to freeze to death in a house with normal insulation. That only happens to old people because there bodies are already weak.
Well if you agree with your housemates that you will pay the extra portion of the electricity bill then thats fair enough. Unless your plan was to hide it so that they pay for you to be warm while they're cold.

I guess I'd have to pay an extra portion of the electricity bill but I don't know how that could be worked out so I guess being sneaky is the best option.

I'd prefer the heating to be on indefinitely during the winter time and for people to control their own radiators in their rooms. Thankfully I never lived with house mates who were watching their pennies during my university years and the central heating was always on through-out the winter period, unless we were all out for the weekend or something.

This just highlights the importance of choosing each other as house mates for second year. There are things to agree and compromise on.

I cannot imagine how I'd manage if the heating was off right now.
Original post by Guy Secretan
yeah I think it would be pretty impossible to freeze to death in a house with normal insulation. That only happens to old people because there bodies are already weak.

Okay yeah a bit of exaggeration but still health and well-being are important to me.

I've felt what a house is like when the heating is off during the winter and it's not nice.
Lol sneaky, I'd do the same if I was in that position. My health and well-being is more important than a couple of 100 pounds.

had a really bad chest infection last year nearly got put in hospital, was not going to repeat that, im paying rent and some of the bills so i dont see why i sud be shivering
Original post by wannabeteacher
had a really bad chest infection last year nearly got put in hospital, was not going to repeat that, im paying rent and some of the bills so i dont see why i sud be shivering

Ditto for me, except I actually ended up spending a week in hospital. My housemate keeps sneaking in and turning off the heating when we aren't looking. It's annoying as he stays over at his girlfriend's house most nights where he gets free heating so doesn't have to deal with freezing. Grr.
I never turn it on when I am the only one in and they tend to want it on before me so no issue. I prefer heating but I am happy to use blankets!
Reply 35
When I was at uni it was all inclusive...even then we were sensible and only put the heating on when necessary.

Current place...landlord pays heating and we just pay electricity which shant be much when theres little more than a stove, fridge and some computers.

To the OP...it's time to deploy the PIMP SLAP

This just highlights the importance of choosing each other as house mates for second year. There are things to agree and compromise on.

I agree, but bills are a classic case of stepping into the unknown with people, because you might get on with people in nights out and so on but when it comes to money that always reveals a different side of people. I have lived over the years with 4 different groups of people, and in 3 of those groups there was a bad egg in there when it came to paying bills, to varying degrees.

Other people say stuff like "can't you just sort things out like adults, honestly" but when you have one bad egg then negotiation goes out of the window. The other thing I've noticed is the bad eggs were never people from poor backgrounds who didn't have money, they were the spoiled ones who had never had to pay anything in their lives and objected to the fact that they had to contribute now. Sometimes people will decide that they aren't that bothered about staying friends with their flatmates afterwards anyway, so if they leave owing money so what, they can just delete from facebook and not have to deal with them again.

The worst one I had was the guy I described a few posts above but the other two were 1) a guy who was a great housemate otherwise, but when it came to paying his debts, he just dragged his feet and dragged his feet, in the end one of the others in the house facebooked his sister about it, and his Dad phoned up embarrassed at the situation and wired us the money over.
2) a rah girl who was basically Katie from X factor, "OMG I've lost my hair straighteners, Im SO going to kill myself", with her, whenever the bills came in she always argued the toss to get herself a discount, eg "well in these three months, I was away for 2 weekends visiting friends, and then I went on field trip for a week, so I should have a pro rata discount because I wasn't getting the benefit of the heating or the TV and lighting for 10 days, thats like more or less 2 full weeks out of 12 so I should have a 1/6 discount". Whether you agreed to her 'discount' or not, that was all she paid for. Then she said we shouldn't bother getting a TV licence because its easy to get away with it, but one of the others wanted to get a licence so we got one, but she refused to contribute as she said it "wasn't her idea we were having to waste our money on one". I remember a petty little incident when the kettle, which had been going faulty for ages, went bust, so the other girl living in the house went and bought a new one then asked us all for about £3 for it, and she wouldn't pay, because she argued, she didn't break it...because I'd been the one who had turned it on when it had finally blown out, she said I should pay the full cost. In the end the other girl just said to her forget it you're not worth arguing with so we all chipped in the extra £1 to cover her share!

After I finished living with her I went out for drinks with some girls who were her friends, and were bitching about her, it was all stuff like "and she NEVER pays her share for a taxi", I had to laugh, some people are just naturally like that.

One thing I would say though, is whilst people who try to manipulate a system of shared payments for their benefits usually end up getting their way, it is a great way of burning bridges with people and everybody else talks about them negatively behind their backs....whilst she was a fun housemate in other ways, all the rest of us pretty much washed our hands of her when we moved out, but we just kept in touch with each other.
Just buy a heater for yourself..course you dont have to use it all the time, but if your feeling especially cold then you wont have to suffer/argue.
I know this sounds pure old fasioned, but can't you just wrap up? I find that if I have 2 pairs of socks plus my slipper boots, lounge pants, a tshirt, hoodie and zip up jacket- I'm fine, even in the coldest weather! ..and that heating = free!
I agree, but bills are a classic case of stepping into the unknown with people, because you might get on with people in nights out and so on but when it comes to money that always reveals a different side of people. I have lived over the years with 4 different groups of people, and in 3 of those groups there was a bad egg in there when it came to paying bills, to varying degrees.

Other people say stuff like "can't you just sort things out like adults, honestly" but when you have one bad egg then negotiation goes out of the window. The other thing I've noticed is the bad eggs were never people from poor backgrounds who didn't have money, they were the spoiled ones who had never had to pay anything in their lives and objected to the fact that they had to contribute now. Sometimes people will decide that they aren't that bothered about staying friends with their flatmates afterwards anyway, so if they leave owing money so what, they can just delete from facebook and not have to deal with them again.

The worst one I had was the guy I described a few posts above but the other two were 1) a guy who was a great housemate otherwise, but when it came to paying his debts, he just dragged his feet and dragged his feet, in the end one of the others in the house facebooked his sister about it, and his Dad phoned up embarrassed at the situation and wired us the money over.
2) a rah girl who was basically Katie from X factor, "OMG I've lost my hair straighteners, Im SO going to kill myself", with her, whenever the bills came in she always argued the toss to get herself a discount, eg "well in these three months, I was away for 2 weekends visiting friends, and then I went on field trip for a week, so I should have a pro rata discount because I wasn't getting the benefit of the heating or the TV and lighting for 10 days, thats like more or less 2 full weeks out of 12 so I should have a 1/6 discount". Whether you agreed to her 'discount' or not, that was all she paid for. Then she said we shouldn't bother getting a TV licence because its easy to get away with it, but one of the others wanted to get a licence so we got one, but she refused to contribute as she said it "wasn't her idea we were having to waste our money on one". I remember a petty little incident when the kettle, which had been going faulty for ages, went bust, so the other girl living in the house went and bought a new one then asked us all for about £3 for it, and she wouldn't pay, because she argued, she didn't break it...because I'd been the one who had turned it on when it had finally blown out, she said I should pay the full cost. In the end the other girl just said to her forget it you're not worth arguing with so we all chipped in the extra £1 to cover her share!

After I finished living with her I went out for drinks with some girls who were her friends, and were bitching about her, it was all stuff like "and she NEVER pays her share for a taxi", I had to laugh, some people are just naturally like that.

One thing I would say though, is whilst people who try to manipulate a system of shared payments for their benefits usually end up getting their way, it is a great way of burning bridges with people and everybody else talks about them negatively behind their backs....whilst she was a fun housemate in other ways, all the rest of us pretty much washed our hands of her when we moved out, but we just kept in touch with each other.

Unsavoury characters there.

You make a good point about spoilt people. I don't even think it's about them being a rah/toff or from rich backgrounds. A lot is down to being spoilt. You can have a person from a privileged background but then has not been spoilt and been taught to relate to others in a respectful manner, the same way you can have a person from a not so privileged background but has been an only child and is spoilt to the max and has a sense of importance.

I think a lot is down to character and upbringing. I identified unpleasant characters in both rich and not so rich people whilst at uni.

I really think it's important for people to get to know their potential house mates during first year, not just in the clubs but in halls. There's a lot that gives away a persons character (do they like to be the centre of attention? are they blase about other people? are they tight with money? do they bitch about others? do they buy cheap products?). Loads of questions that can help you determine characters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending